November 26, 2014, 09:28:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Customized Triple-Drum Maverick - "Cerberus"  (Read 4217 times)
Harmacist

Werk out before you Merk out.

« on: September 12, 2011, 03:07:33 PM »

My summer project.

Weight added to the grip to counterbalance the huge increase in front mass, AR Removal and Penny mod on the inside.

I field-tested it on a summer mission that my chapter ran, and it worked beautifully.  No jams, great distance/accuracy, and relatively easy handling (it's -far- heavier than its stock counterpart).  Best of all, under my chapter's rules, it still classifies as a Level 1 - technically 3 clips of 6, just with a speedy reload.

AO:  University of Wisconsin

Primary:  OMw-Spec Alpha Trooper -- "Charon"
Secondary:  Customized Triple-Drum Maverick -- "Cerberus"
Big Finish:  Springed and Volted Stampede -- "Hades"
Ghost Reporting

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 03:37:55 PM »

Impressive  Grin

I had a similar idea for a multi-shot Nerf shotgun blaster, where each of the "shells" would be a Maverick-type barrel, and the blaster would have a massive spring/plunger that would launch all 6 darts at once in a spray pattern with one trigger pull. 

It's pretty cool to see that you got a rotation system to work with the different cylinders!

"Somebody call for an exterminator?"
Primary: Alpha Recon (AT+ Recon stock, sight);  Holdouts: Jolt, socks, foam stress toys;  Undergoing Evaluation: None
Mrelegos

This is our line, no further. We hold the line.

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 03:49:27 PM »

Holy mother of...that thing is incredible.

"You guys go on ahead. I've got a few things to take care of"

Primary: Stampede
Secondary: Barricade
Equipment: Bandolier, lots of spare clips.
Green Wing

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 06:09:00 PM »

Very nice, but what I am liking the most is your paintjob. What paints did you use, and if you have time can you explain how you painted it? Thanks.

Harmacist

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 08:38:52 PM »

Very nice, but what I am liking the most is your paintjob. What paints did you use, and if you have time can you explain how you painted it? Thanks.

I'll tell you what I can about the paint job.  I really wanted it to turn out well, so I went the extra mile to get a high-quality finish.

I started out by sanding the whole body down.  Any glossy surface - what all Nerf blasters come with stock, was removed to a uniform dullness.  Use a coarse sandpaper (60-80 grit) to get rid of the raised logos (Nerf, N-Strike, etc.), then go finer (Anywhere from 150-200 grit) when covering the rest of the blaster.  Regular sandpaper works fine, but I went whole-hog and gave wet sanding a try.  Using waterproof sandpaper (it exists), sand your blaster under a constant stream of water - which I found wasteful - or just fill a tub with water and dunk it in every so often.  Wet sanding gives you a tidier surface to work on because it washes away all of the plastic dust that accumulates when you're sanding with regular sandpaper.  Most importantly, be patient.  Even on a small blaster like the Maverick, it took me the better part of an hour and a half for each side to be sanded down completely to my liking.

Next, prime it.  Mask off the areas that you want absolutely no paint on - vital sections of moving parts and stuff like that.  I actually masked off the majority of the inside of the slide rail because I knew it wouldn't be seen once the blaster was assembled and I didn't want to gum up the inside works.  I used a grey primer and coated the whole blaster with it - a single, flat, even coat should give you the surface you need, as well as hiding the bright yellow plastic inside.

For the specific color scheme, notably the crackle effects, I kind of cheated.  At my local Ace Hardware, they were selling kits of Crackling Spray Paint - big for the arts and crafts type, and does exactly what it sounds like (and looks like on the blaster).  You spray a base coat down, then apply the crackle coat evenly on top of if, and the paint quickly dries and shrinks, giving the crackle pattern.  Just Google "Crackle spray paint" if you want to order it online, or try calling hardware stores or craft stores.  When applying these, it's pretty straightforward - mask off what you want to keep your base coat, then spray on the crackle with the included directions.

Once everything's dried and I'm satisfied, I grabbed a Matte finish Clear Coat spray.  Depending on your preference and the paint job you're looking for, you can also go for a Satin or Gloss clear coat - I felt like the Matte finish would work with my scheme the best.  Spray it on, let it dry, and you're all set.

A final note on masking:  TAKE YOUR TIME.  Sit down with a hobby/exacto knife and apply your masking tape carefully and purposefully.  It's more than worth the effort to get a solid masking line on the finished product to spend the 30-45 minutes I spent with my blue painter's tape.

If you need anything else, let me know!

maniac55

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 08:50:12 PM »

Impressive  Grin

I had a similar idea for a multi-shot Nerf shotgun blaster, where each of the "shells" would be a Maverick-type barrel, and the blaster would have a massive spring/plunger that would launch all 6 darts at once in a spray pattern with one trigger pull. 

I tried to build this but its very difficult to do. It only kinda works and is super expensive.

And nice to see you finally got pictures up Rick. I saw this thing in action and it is awesome.

Training is constant, forever, and always.... be forever vigilant for the enemy is upon us

Primary: "Saint" Long strike
Secondary: "Devil" Raider
Side Arm: "Dirty Harry" Spectre
To Class: "Demon" Recon
Specialty: Stampede, "Bio-hazard" Power Strike
Green Wing

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 10:30:50 PM »

*Snip*

Thanks, I already know the pains of sanding. (Just finished sanding and prepping a LS Titan Integration Cry) I have painted a few blasters before but was curious to see how you went about it. I will try to see if I can get my hands on crackle paint. Thanks again.  Smiley

torukmakto4

Inhuman Resistance

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 08:58:06 AM »

Impressive  Grin

I tried to build this but its very difficult to do. It only kinda works and is super expensive.

What you are describing is a shotgun cylinder. They have been done before (Google a little). Like all multibarrel devices, they are usually used on airguns whose usual valve efficiency and high flow is a better match for the application than a slower springer. Using a springer might make things a little more difficult, but an absolved springer is possible (especially for 7 barrel absolvers loaded with stock micros) with some of the larger displacement homemades.

I'm thinking to get the displacement you need with a usable pressure rise rate and a length that isn't about 5 miles, you will need something along the lines of a 2" PVC PT with a spring significantly stronger than a K26. The SNAP, Americanized R and Rainbow patterns should be a good starting point.

I would just hook up a massive pump to an airgun, though. A BBBB or even UMB tank could power a 7 barrel device even with imperfect sealing and dead volume to contend with. Even with pump, the complete unit would be much more compact than the springer you would need.

Also, using Maverick cylinders as absolver barrel packs is a bad idea. The barrels in those suck for that application. Use some standard type CPVC (i.e. not Flowguard Gold).

CT-2406
Quartermaster of the Florida 501st
You are now entering the Dart Zone

"Our survival instinct is our greatest source of inspiration"
Dyslexda
* Game Organizer

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 09:21:31 AM »

How about Mav cylinders rebarreled with CPVC? Did one as a speedloader for a CPVC-coupler'd NF a while back, and I figure it'd make a decent absolver shell if I could find tubing to hook up to it.

Hunting Grounds: Truman State University, Kirksville, MO

The Five Commandments:
1.) Don't Be Stupid
2.) Don't Get It Banned
3.) Don't Be A Dick
4.) Have Fun
5.) Play Like You've Got A Pair
torukmakto4

Inhuman Resistance

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 11:49:26 AM »

How about Mav cylinders rebarreled with CPVC? Did one as a speedloader for a CPVC-coupler'd NF a while back, and I figure it'd make a decent absolver shell if I could find tubing to hook up to it.

That would work, but if you just want to fab an easy absolver device, 7 CPVC barrels produce a honeycomb-type barrel pack that fits 1.5" PVC fittings with little clearance. There's no reason to use any part of a mav cylinder for an absolver, unless you want 6 barrels per shot and find that the cylinders give some advantageous dimension.

CT-2406
Quartermaster of the Florida 501st
You are now entering the Dart Zone

"Our survival instinct is our greatest source of inspiration"
Irresponsible

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 07:07:56 AM »

Out of curiosity, how do you stash this thing when you're not using it?  My concern is that it looks too unwieldy to make a holster for, which would make it hard to get at in the event of a zed attack.  Is this even a problem?
Jammerz

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 11:32:06 AM »

I can totally vouch for this having seen it in person. It is a total BEAST and functions beautifully from what I saw.

(Rick, this is Jaimie, btw, since you probably won't recognize me lol)

School: University of Wisconsin - Madison

Primary: Alpha Trooper
Sidearm: Spectre or Recon
To Class: "Captain" Recon
Specialty: "Domina" Stampede
Harmacist

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 06:18:55 PM »

Out of curiosity, how do you stash this thing when you're not using it?  My concern is that it looks too unwieldy to make a holster for, which would make it hard to get at in the event of a zed attack.  Is this even a problem?

"Not using it?"   Wink

From what I've gathered from toting it around, it's definitely more suited for a class-to-class primary than a mission sidearm.  At present, there's really no way to get it in a holster or clip it to your belt - you're either holding it or you aren't.  I'm thinking about how to put a sling or something similar on it when I can get at my tools next.

roundkickkid

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 04:12:04 PM »

Hey I have all the parts for mine almost, just need to figure out what to use for the piece that holds all three chambers together. What did you use wood, plastic, or something else?
Harmacist

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 07:06:09 PM »

Hey I have all the parts for mine almost, just need to figure out what to use for the piece that holds all three chambers together. What did you use wood, plastic, or something else?

I used 2 pieces of 1/8" PVC sheeting cemented together for each plate.  A while back I bought something like 5 or so 5'x5' sheets from a surplus store on clearance at a buck a piece because I thought they'd be handy to have around.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.