October 24, 2014, 07:15:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Barricade Mod: Dart Slip & Jam - Problem Solved  (Read 7305 times)
Boildown

« on: June 11, 2011, 04:05:42 AM »

So I'm a big fan of Nerf's Barricade blaster.  It shoots the most accurate stock ammo types, has a large capacity especially for a pistol that's barely larger than a Maverick or Spectre, its inexpensive, doesn't need to be pumped between shots (semi-auto), and to top it off it can out-range every other stock blaster by simply applying more voltage.  It can't replace the high ammo capacity short range blasters, nor can it replace an expertly wielded blowgun, but in my opinion it would be better than every other blaster currently sold, if it wasn't for one very important thing:

Darts slip out very easily causing jams.  Let me illustrate what I mean.  (All thumbnails are clickable for a full-size image.  Sorry for blurriness, my cell phone cam doesn't have a macro feature.)

Here's a barricade (my broken one, but still good for illustrative purposes) with darts in place:

With one sharp hit to the butt the darts shift out a bit:

One more hit and its clear that there's going to be problems.  This happens easily while running or carrying the Barricade in any fashion that isn't barrel-upwards:

Pull the trigger and you already have one jam:

Fix that and its still not many more trigger pulls before the next jam.  This is without running around fighting, just pulling the trigger normally:

My solution:  Create a guard that physically prevents the darts from moving out of their slots.  Supplies used for my solution:

1) Junk CDs
2) A small bit of cardboard
3) Something to write on CDs and cardboard
4) Super-glue
5) Sharp scissors

Step 1)  Create a cardboard cutout to use as a pattern for the guard.  Refer to the images at the end of this post to figure out the idea and where it goes.  Use your writing instrument and scissors to shave the cutout down to size.

Step 2)  Use the pattern to mark your junk CDs.  I have AOL CDs saved up for some reason from back in the day of the dialup modem, time to put them to good use.

Step 3)  Use scissors to cut the CD.  Some CDs fracture wildly when cut, others cut very easily without fracturing.  I couldn't figure any pattern as to why some behaved well when cut and others poorly.  If one fails you, try another from a different batch.  I've cut I think 11 of them now, and 6 of them were good, 5 bad.  Here's an image of a bad one:

Step 4)  Create a good cutout.  Be careful of the scraps, they are sharp and can fly off into your eye or something if you aren't wearing eye protection.

Here's measurements of what ended up being an old version.  They should be cut smaller than this on the outside bottom part.  Be sure to test fit, the center hole of a CD is slightly too small for the center shaft of the Barricade and will need to be widened more.  You want a CD cutout with no cracks in it at all.  Keep trying until you make a good one.

Step 5)  Test-fit some more, and mark your cutout with your writing instrument while holding it in place.  You want to super-glue to only one half shell of the Barricade, not both, or you won't be able to open your Barricade without breaking off the CD cutout.  Choose the half that sticks out more, both halves probably aren't completely flush due to imprecise manufacturing on Nerf's part, so use this to your advantage.  Only glue to the yellow shell, not the orange part.  If it doesn't seem stable enough, go ahead and glue both halves, after playing with it more, I've found that you can pry the CD off if you want to open your blaster later.

Below are some images of what it should look like when its glued into final position.  Glue the "data" part of the CD facing the darts, the "label" side is glued onto the blaster.  This is because the "data" side is slippier on rubber dart heads, and too much friction can be a problem.

You could certainly use other materials, like cardboard or wood or plastic, but to me CDs glue very well with superglue, are fairly easily cut into shape, and you can probably find some junk CDs that are essentially free to obtain.

Notes: It could be cut smaller, as it only needs to prevent the darts from moving out of position.   And the guard makes loading the darts impossible except on the sides, but the smaller you cut it, the easier it is.

There's a problem with Whistler type darts in that in the worst case they can have too much friction and prevent the Barricade cylinder from spinning when the trigger is pulled.  This effect is minimized by keeping the CD cutout just large enough to prevent the darts from slipping, and not covering the entire dart head.  You could also lube up the CD itself I bet, soap or Pam or even something complicated like Lithium Grease would work, but I'd stick to something that is relatively safe in case the dart ends up in someone's eye.

Taggers are completely fine and awesome with this mod no matter what because the velcro slips easily.  In fact if there isn't about 8 Whistlers all being bad at trying to fall out of the cylinder at the same time, the trigger pull is strong enough to rotate regardless.

Another thing I noticed... Nerf is weird about Whistlers... some they label "Sonic" and others are "Whistler".  Here's an image showing the difference between the Whistlers I had before, a Tagger, and the "Sonic"-style Whistler that I got in the mail from the Free 50 Darts promotion, from Nerf, for buying this Barricade:

As you can see its longer and has updated colors.  The foam is also slightly thicker meaning its much less prone to sliding out.  Why Nerf has some Whistlers called "Whistlers" and some called "Sonic" I don't understand.  Why they include the version that works poorly with the Barricade in the Barricade box I understand even less.  If the Sonic version doesn't slide out, they should just put that kind in the box in the first place.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 02:23:58 AM by Boildown » Logged

Dyslexda
* Game Organizer

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 05:11:42 AM »

I like the idea. Does that not interfere with reloading at all?

Hunting Grounds: Truman State University, Kirksville, MO

The Five Commandments:
1.) Don't Be Stupid
2.) Don't Get It Banned
3.) Don't Be A Dick
4.) Have Fun
5.) Play Like You've Got A Pair
Boildown

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 06:34:20 AM »

Yes reloading is somewhat more difficult.  The bottom two spots that used to be completely unobstructed are now unusable for reloading.  The two spots on each side can be used by bending a dart in.  With the cutout sized properly small, the amount you have to "bend" it in is minimal.  I don't anticipate any problems in the field.

Tye Power

Z.E.U.S. Squad Leader

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 12:01:12 PM »

Hey, it's me, I'm so glad I inspired you to do the write-up.

Having any problems with it? As I said my friends is wood and he sanded the edges to angle in towards the chambers so the darts slide in and don't come out...he's a boss, I had the idea, he is the epic woodshop kid  Grin

Squad: Z.E.U.S.
Primary: Over-volted Elite Rayven
Last Resort: Socks
Equipment: Camelback
Boildown

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 01:49:10 PM »

The only problem is friction between the rubber dart heads on whistlers and the guard or shield or CD cutout, whatever you want to call it.  If the friction is too high, then this causes the cylinder to not rotate when the trigger is pulled, and no dart fires.  For my latest version, this rarely happens because the cutout doesn't cover the entire dart, and that means less friction, but it was more common when I used 3 or 2 CD cutouts that were too big.  I didn't even try lubing it up yet, probably something as simple as hand soap would completely solve the problem.  Even now it only happens in testing with every whistler pressing on it, with a few taggers in the mix it doesn't happen.  Taggers seem to be immune to the problem in all cases.  I don't use suctions at all in my Barricade because they jam in the flywheels.

The only other "problem" is that its less convenient to load than an unmodded Barricade.  You can't load through the bottom two positions at all really, only the two dart positions on each side.  I don't think this is much of a problem at all and I made this sacrifice to not have darts jam gladly.

Tye Power

Z.E.U.S. Squad Leader

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 02:49:27 PM »

The wood with the sanding fixes the load problem if you do it right(perfect) and why not just use taggers instead then? I use just taggers for my barricade seeing as I use a Quick 16

Boildown

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 03:20:31 PM »

I just posted some new images of the my updated smaller and 1 CD-thick cutout/guard/shield thing.

The wood with the sanding fixes the load problem if you do it right(perfect) and why not just use taggers instead then? I use just taggers for my barricade seeing as I use a Quick 16.

I completely agree with using Taggers because they have no problems at all.  But the Barricade comes with Whistlers, and if you did the 50 Free Darts promotion then you got even more Whistlers (Sonics?) in the mail (or you will soon).  It just seems likely that people with a Barricade definitely have Whistlers and might not have any Taggers.

I'm sure the wood sanded version is awesome, but that requires tools and woodworking skills.  This is something anyone can do with rudimentary tools and supplies everyone probably already has.

Tye Power

Z.E.U.S. Squad Leader

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 05:51:32 PM »

I see your point, good job...I think this is something all Barricade users will benifit from!  Cool

Linkz

ADTR ftw

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 05:59:57 AM »

Yes we will :3

Loadout:
Primary: Stampede w/ 35 dart drum
Secondary: MagStrike AS-10
Side arm: Spectre
is it wrong to be excited that the apocalypse wont accomadate such an invention or structure known as a the DMV anymore?? Grin
Boildown

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 08:43:34 PM »

So I finally got to use this Barricade in actual games, as we had a CTF battle at Purdue this afternoon.  This mod worked AWESOME.  I mained this Barricade all day and in 3 hours, there was only one partial jam, which I'm not sure why happened, but it cleared itself with two darts shot out within a fraction of a second.  Other than that it worked flawlessly.  

I did crack the CD guard while reloading where it wasn't super-glued completely.  I now have to recommend super-gluing the entire surface instead of just half.  It didn't affect anything because the location of the crack was fairly innocuous in my case.

I went out of my way to run around the whole time holding the Barricade barrel-down to give it a good test, and the guard works just like I wanted.

Nerf should make a Revision 2 of the Barricade with this part built in, they have my permission royalty free if they want it.  The stock Barricade sorely needs it.

Vigilante
* Game Organizer

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 09:21:46 PM »

Good work with this mod, I really must do this to my two that I have.

Also on a side note, I like how you numbered each chamber on your blaster.

Camarillo, CA Summer 2011 Last Ten Survivor Group, Medal of Honor Winner, Runner up in MVP Fan Voting
Camarillo, CA Summer 2012 Last Five Survivor Group, 2nd runner up in MVP Fan Voting
Camarillo, CA Winter 2012 Games Organizer
Camarillo, CA Summer 2013 Moderator
http://basicnerf.com/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.