September 20, 2014, 01:55:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Warning: Your post has been classified as spam, and will not be visible to the public until an administrator or moderator approves it.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are 6 dart clips still viable?  (Read 2341 times)
Vigilante
* Game Organizer

« on: July 08, 2011, 03:02:05 am »

Are these clips still viable? Do they hold too little darts for usage?

Sorry for the kind of newb question, I don't play HvZ.

Camarillo, CA Summer 2011 Last Ten Survivor Group, Medal of Honor Winner, Runner up in MVP Fan Voting
Camarillo, CA Summer 2012 Last Five Survivor Group, 2nd runner up in MVP Fan Voting
Camarillo, CA Winter 2012 Games Organizer
Camarillo, CA Summer 2013 Moderator
http://basicnerf.com/
Linkz

ADTR ftw

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 03:30:52 am »

There probably good for, well I don't know, say running across a long passage way but there not for holdout missions.

EDIT: I don't play HvZ either so im just guessing.

Loadout:
Primary: Stampede w/ 35 dart drum
Secondary: MagStrike AS-10
Side arm: Spectre
is it wrong to be excited that the apocalypse wont accomadate such an invention or structure known as a the DMV anymore?? Grin
Dragon1291

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 04:42:25 am »

I think for a pistolish weapon (recon... pistoled raider) they are pretty handy. However, for a primary, the 6 round clip should be used as a last ditch, oh crap no more rounds, solution. For daytime, a 6 round clip is much easier to hide in a backpack compared to say a raider drum.

Purdue HvZ Player (Fall '10, Spring '11, Fall '11)
Moderator (Invitational '12, Spring '12)
PAC
SpookyLucaZ
* Forum Moderator

Graveyard Shift

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 07:07:23 am »

as dragon posted earlier i use it if i dont have enough time to reload my drums, i have many of them as a last attempt before i run and hide. i personally prefer anything but the CS blasters because of there shitty airseals...
in other words, YES for a less expensive clip with an average to low amount of firepower. it works well for close quarters and it is very inconspicuous compared to a 7-10 inch drum...

Moderator/Organizer/Founder of 'Insanity Wolves'
Ghost Reporting

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 09:50:18 am »

Are these clips still viable? Do they hold too little darts for usage?

The 6-round magazines are useful as backups for those times when re-loading an 18-round drum, 18-round magazine, or 35-round drum are not possible.  I usually carry one of these (in the Recon shoulder stock attached to my Alpha Trooper) as a backup. 

6-round magazines are generally not great.  They run out too quickly, and are useless in situations where groups of zombies are charging.  This is why I think some people take the top and bottom parts of 2x 6-round magazines and combine them to form 1x 12-round magazine, otherwise known as "superclip".  12 rounds is a good compromise between compactness of the magazine and higher capacity.  I wish Nerf had used 12-round mags from the start, but I don't think they thought that far in advance with the original CS series blasters.

"Somebody call for an exterminator?"
Primary: Alpha Recon (AT+ Recon stock, sight);  Holdouts: Jolt, socks, foam stress toys;  Undergoing Evaluation: None
Dragon1291

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 10:23:58 am »

This is why I think some people take the top and bottom parts of 2x 6-round magazines and combine them to form 1x 12-round magazine, otherwise known as "superclip".  12 rounds is a good compromise between compactness of the magazine and higher capacity.  I wish Nerf had used 12-round mags from the start, but I don't think they thought that far in advance with the original CS series blasters.

true true. Superclips are the best of both worlds IMO. Just enough firepower to take out ~10 zombies, yet small enough to fit in an M16 pouch (unlike the drums and 18 round clips).

And I"ll say it now, while it helps to cut the clips square with a band saw or something of the like, one can use wirecutters to cut the pastic and make superclips. I've made two of said superclips before and they are holding quite nicely. Oh and never pry apart the clip if it's glued, especially the top part of the clip.

PAC
Vigilante
* Game Organizer

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 02:23:10 pm »

Can you direct me to a tutorial on how to do that?

Is this how? : http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-mod-a-CS-6-Nerf-Longshot/step2/Nerf-Clip-Mod/

If it is, I'm looking for something more indepth.

Also wouldn't the Nerf Flip clip or homemade duct tape flip clips work fine?

Camarillo, CA Summer 2011 Last Ten Survivor Group, Medal of Honor Winner, Runner up in MVP Fan Voting
Camarillo, CA Summer 2012 Last Five Survivor Group, 2nd runner up in MVP Fan Voting
Ghost Reporting

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 03:41:05 pm »

Can you direct me to a tutorial on how to do that?

Is this how? : http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-mod-a-CS-6-Nerf-Longshot/step2/Nerf-Clip-Mod/

If it is, I'm looking for something more indepth.

Also wouldn't the Nerf Flip clip or homemade duct tape flip clips work fine?

This person created a nice demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH4bBdudD2Y  It's a bit long but you get to see most of the process.

"Somebody call for an exterminator?"
Primary: Alpha Recon (AT+ Recon stock, sight);  Holdouts: Jolt, socks, foam stress toys;  Undergoing Evaluation: None
Bobololo

I Will End You

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 04:27:12 pm »

Oh, I remember when blasters didn't have slam fire, recons were raiders, and six clips were all we had.
http://youtu.be/0HB99VnJeQs?t=44s

On topic, I still think they can be viable in a game of HvZ. I personally can't see myself using them, but I'm sure there are people out there who can, and will.
Making them into superclips is the only way I'd use them, though.

The YouTube Channel
Quote from: Daniel Beaver
You may think it's mean of me to shit all over your creative vision, but rest assured that shit is an awesome fertilizer for the muse of the mind.
Long live the Horsemen and hail Satan.
Mrelegos

This is our line, no further. We hold the line.

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 05:25:15 pm »

I've found that 6 clips are more useful in the early section of the "one-day" style games we mostly play in britain. I'll use my 18s once a larger number of zombies are inbound, but the limited capacity of the 6 means, i use my shots more efficiently when precision is a better tool then spraying.

"You guys go on ahead. I've got a few things to take care of"

Primary: Stampede
Secondary: Barricade
Equipment: Bandolier, lots of spare clips.
Dragon1291

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 05:36:51 pm »

You only get so much precision with nerf though. One odd dart and you are dead.

As for a tutorial, there's not much too it. I can show a picture of where to cut if that helps?

PAC
Vigilante
* Game Organizer

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 06:42:46 pm »

You only get so much precision with nerf though. One odd dart and you are dead.

As for a tutorial, there's not much too it. I can show a picture of where to cut if that helps?
Yes please, that would be great.

Dragon1291

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 10:48:42 pm »

Here's Captain SLug's version, which looks really clean: http://nerfhaven.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8071

For my own personal step by step.

First, unscrew the clip. Then carefully remove the spring, and if possible the follower.

For the two clips, you need to cut at the line's indicated. For the bottom half, cut where line 1 is. For the top half, cut where line 2 is.

Essentially for the line 1 cut, you want to cut to the point where the clip stops bulging out. To know if you made the cut right, slide your follower in and out and make sure it doesnt get caught on anything.
For the line 2 cut, cut right above the trapezoidal indentation. again test with a follower to ensure smoothness.

To attach the springs together, I used a 6-32 x 3/8" screw, #10 washers on both sides, and a Matching Nylon Lock nut to fit the screw.

Not my pic. Example of how to attach the springs though

Now the best way to glue it all together imo is to have the follower right in the middle of the superclip. as you glue together the clips, slide the follower up and down to test for smoothness. You'll find out that they have a lot of tolerance for working.

Thats the best advice I can give really.

PAC
TheGrandKababi
* Game Organizer

The Con-Man

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 01:39:10 am »

I'm a fan of the 6 clip since it's far easier to count to six than eighteen. This mental count acts as a stop from going full mambo and unloading.

Also when using them, since they are fairly easy to come across and cheap, I have no worries when emptying a clip, dropping it to the ground while loading another without picking up the discarded one right away.

School: University of Victoria

Primary: "The Perforator" Reduced and spring modded Longshot
Sidearm: "Ole Reliable" AR and spring modded Recon
Last Ditch: "Never Reload" Foam KA-BAR
Equipment: Tactical vest with walkie talkie, headset and ammo pouch for 9 spare mags.
Mrelegos

This is our line, no further. We hold the line.

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 07:37:08 pm »

That's precisely what I was getting at. Precision might be the wrong word...perhaps deliberation is a better one. It helps me make my shots cont a whole lot more.

"You guys go on ahead. I've got a few things to take care of"

Primary: Stampede
Secondary: Barricade
Equipment: Bandolier, lots of spare clips.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.