December 12, 2017, 10:04:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 259
  Print  
Author Topic: Show Off Your Armory/Loadout (image heavy)  (Read 1032461 times)
cadens

« Reply #3810 on: April 17, 2014, 08:23:33 PM »

So, I finished a RapidPistol. Huzzah.

http://imgur.com/a/G28Oy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAKEDgdcSio
CountryCuz2011
* Game Organizer

Formerly known as Spartan2011

« Reply #3811 on: April 20, 2014, 03:33:18 PM »

I think it's about time I talked about my loadout, especially since I finally figured out how to upload pictures from my "dumb" phone to the internet. And just think what wonderful profile pictures I could be taking of myself instead of waiting for someone else to upload one to their Facebook page for me  Grin.

Anyway, here is some visuals of my loadout thus far. Keep in mind that my setup changes slightly whether I'm playing at my school's main game or its mini games. These pictures represent my loadout during our weekly Saturday mini games; if you look at my signature, you will see that these pictures do not show my dump pouch, 40-drum, sock pouch, or Mechanix gloves; I add and subtract stuff base off my firepower vs. mobility needs. That being said, here is some pictures for you viewing pleasure (I attached them as attachments).

Essentially, my philosophy for my loadout is to be streamlined while carrying enough equipment to get the job done. I like to maintain middle ground when building my system; I don't favor firepower over mobility, nor vice versa. Speaking of system, I have spent several years carefully constructing this loadout. Every piece of equipment shown and not shown on these pictures has a job of some sort, and all of these items are designed with the intention to work seamlessly together.

Let's now talk about the setup itself. Personally, I found that LBE's like the one you see in the pictures is the best way to go for HvZ. My main setup is designed to allow maximum breath-ability without sacrificing too much real estate on the rig. Basically, the way I constructed my main setup is I bought an Outdoor Products fanny pack, bought two Vortex ammo belts for the magazine holders/pouches, and I looped those components onto the strap. I then added suspenders to support the system. Overall, this system affords me a lot of mobility while allowing me to have to cargo space to carry extra clips, gear, etc. I have tried so many other setups before I got to this one (ex. Nerf tactical vest, airsoft chest rig, etc.). This one has worked time and time again.

Let's now discuss my blaster setup. I employ what I like to call the "battle rifle concept" to my setup. Basically, the battle rifle concept entails single-wielding one piece of equipment; your entire loadout is dedicated to supporting that one item. For my standard loadout, I choose to single-wield a Praxis; I do not carry any other blasters as secondaries, sidearms, etc. From experience, I found that an one blaster loadout is the best way to go for my particular game. It's simple, relatively cheap to manage, training is easy/straight forward, light weight, and it's intuitive within some respects (don't have to worry about asking, "what blaster I should use for this situation;" pretty straight-forward). I have nothing against anyone who chooses to carry extra blasters/socks on their person. The reason why I choose to carry one blaster is that, realistically, it has gotten me through a lot problems than any other setup I have tried.

As for the blaster I chose, there are several reasons why I carry a Praxis. From my experience, Vortex has just worked for me. It's reliable, very precise (vs. accurate, which it is not; takes certain skills to make your rounds count with Vortex blasters), light weight, has a good track record, very ergonomic, etc. There is a slightly higher entry cost for getting into Vortex blasters; you have to be willing to buy enough discs to carry with you into combat or replace lost, stolen, or damaged discs when the time arises. That being said, with my battle rifle concept, this is not a problem with me. I spent enough money on Vortex to make it a viable option for serious game play. For me, the advantages Vortex provides over other Elite blasters makes it a winner in my book.

Let's move on to my magazine loadout. I recently commented in the General Advice thread about how I made my high capacity clips for Vortex; I use Vortex firefly clips as my main category of clip. Each clip holds 17 rounds, which holds up against Elite 18-round clips comparatively (except in time invested). For my ammo needs, four or five of these extended clips has been more than enough for the HvZ games I play in (20 people for mini games; 50-60 for main game). With the setup I have, I can easily get to my ammo. I also carry loose ammo in the Vortex pouches on my right side. Not pictured in this post or in my signature, I also recently made a magazine connector from the ammo holders from the Vortex ammo belt; this allows me to have a jungle clip for Vortex clips that also gives me the advantage of replacing the empty clip with a fresh one without having to use another jungle clip. I will post pictures of this later.

Moving onward, I will take a moment to talk about my Halo mounting system for my Praxis. Just to make this clear, this piece of equipment has more aesthetic value to me than practical worth; I love halo, so having this particular piece of gear just makes the game more happy. To make this mod work, I use a Magnet-O Grip holder that is designed to hold heavy, metal tape measures. I epoxied the magnetic side to my blaster, and I clipped the metal portion to my suspenders. As you can see in the attached pictures, this setup allows me to carry my Praxis Spartan-style. As for practical battlefield use, it does allow me to holster my blaster and free my hands when I'm doing administrative work (ex. picking up darts, eating at the dining hall, standing around, picking my nose, etc.).  This system is better than a sling in that it's less mess, it doesn't interfere with the other functions on my LBE, and let's be honest; it's just cool. Something to remember is that this setup doesn't fair well when I'm running or performing complex maneuvers on the ground. The blaster sometimes falls off the clip. This is alright considering the fact that I do employ the battle rifle concept to my loadout.

Finally, I need to touch on the other components of my system. I wear tactical gloves whenever I play HvZ. Besides serving aesthetic reasons, the gloves provide me a consistent grip on my blasters, and it protects my hands from impacts, weather-related threats, etc. I wear a shemagh mainly for cool points, but in the wintertime it can actually serve to keep me warm (in warmer weather, to wipe sweat from brow). On top of my Praxis, I do use a red dot sight I bought from dormlabs.com. It's pretty useful for lining up more accurate shots at zombies, but it too serves to make my loadout ever more tacticool.

Well, that's it. If anyone has questions about my setup, please comment or shoot me an email. 

* 041914153608.jpg (135.44 KB, 480x640 - viewed 409 times.)

* 041914155720.jpg (155.94 KB, 480x640 - viewed 328 times.)

* 041914155811.jpg (138.79 KB, 480x640 - viewed 397 times.)

* 041914155828.jpg (103.28 KB, 480x640 - viewed 403 times.)

Spring 2014 Loadout:
Primary: Praxis w/RDS, Nerf Raider stock, Halo mounting system
Secondary: Socks
Day-to-Day: Roughcut w/pistol grip, raider stock
Ammo: 40-round drum, extended Vortex clips, extra discs
Equipment: Vortex LBE w/fanny pack, Mechanix gloves, shemagh, sock pouch, dump pouch, my
Lordmonocrona
* Game Organizer

Check out my blog: thenerfviewpoint.wordpress.com

« Reply #3812 on: April 21, 2014, 09:44:57 AM »

Okay, I have been looking and looking for something to do a Spartan-style mount, and you, sir, have nailed it. Now I have a question, if you were to embed (or glue on) heavier magnets to the guns and whatever you decide to hold it up with (I was going to buy two special shirts and a jacket) would it hold on better, so you could potentially run with two primaries?

Check out my Blog!
http://thernerfview.blogspot.com/
"This class is boring, can we learn about dragons?"
CountryCuz2011
* Game Organizer

« Reply #3813 on: April 21, 2014, 12:32:44 PM »

Potentially...keep in mind I made this system for my battle rifle concept. As for a two blaster loadout, I believe it can be done (with strong disclaimers). For clarification, the magnet I used would not be helpful for running a second primary. It actually takes two hands to dismount it from my back, one to hold the metal clip attached to my suspenders and the other hand for my Praxis. It takes light pressure to pry it from my back. It's simple to do, but I don't think this particular magnet will suit your needs. This is the exact magnet I used (I bought mine from Walmart for $8) http://www.magnogrip.com/index.cfm?pid=10570

That being said, with the right kind of magnets, this mod may be possible. When choosing magnets, you want something that's going to be strong enough to hold the blaster to your shirt, but not TOO strong. Especially since you want to mount this system to a jacket (what kind?), the looseness of the clothing is going to make this system uncomfortable at best to perform, impossible to transition at worst. Basically, what would happen is that you will try to grab the blaster from your back, but if your magnets are too strong the clothing will come with the blaster and it will not leave your back. You will be standing there trying to pry your second blaster from your back and a zombie will tag you. Obviously, using weak magnets will cause your blaster to fall to the ground when you're running (side note: when determining what magnets to use, make sure to factor in the heaviest magazine you will be using while it is holstered).

In addition, like I asked earlier, you need to be careful what kind of jacket you use. Besides the earlier issue I pointed out, another concern is that the weight of the blaster holstered may pull your jacket backwards, which would defeat the purpose of the mod. You need to choose a jacket that will be strong enough structurally to take the weight and retain a regular, normal appearance. A tactical vest would work well depending on what magnets you use....

...which brings us to the next issue. You want to make sure the metal platform itself is suited for the task. You can get away with using a small magnet, but you cannot get away with using a small metallic platform. The bigger the metallic platform, the easier it will be to find it when you are transitioning blasters. Another concern, depending on the strength of your magnets, is creating a metallic platform that can "catch" the magnet on your blaster. The magnet system I use allows me to slide it into a U-shaped section that perfectly fits the magnet I'm using. This cut-out will take some of the weight of the blaster for your magnet, which may allow you to use weaker magnets (=faster, more fluid transitions). This cut-out will also prevents you from placing the blaster of a small section of the metallic platform in your haste to holster your blaster. Just some suggestions.

Finally, and I think this may be the fun part of figuring this stuff out, you need to think about how exactly you want to transition your blasters (please post what kind of blasters you plan to use). The Halo mounting system is not like a sling, which is pretty intuitive to use. You have to create a fluid, comfortable technique to unholster one blaster with one hand while holstering another blaster. If you're only planning on transitioning before potential trouble (not when you have a jam), this process will not be that troublesome to think about. When I holster my Praxis, I bring it up over my head, I grab the magnet glued to the shell, and I use it to guide the blaster into the  metallic holster. Obviously, this technique will not work with two primary sized blasters.

So when you see this post, please comment about what kind of jacket you're using, what magnets you think you want to use, and what blasters are you going to be holstering.

Spring 2014 Loadout:
Equipment: Vortex LBE w/fanny pack, Mechanix gloves, shemagh, sock pouch, dump pouch, my
Pompadour64

« Reply #3814 on: April 21, 2014, 04:44:09 PM »

Out of curiosity, why the praxis over the pyragon?
CountryCuz2011
* Game Organizer

« Reply #3815 on: April 21, 2014, 09:23:05 PM »

Interesting question, Pompadour. The short answer is...just because.  Wink

There is a slightly longer answer, of course. I used to use a pyragon as my primary of choice for the last, let's say year and a half. This semester is the first time I used the praxis.

A little back story. My pyragon started acting funny at the beginning of last fall semester. Whenever I attempted to slamfire, every other disc will jam, preventing a continuance flow of shots. Eventually, I got tired of trying to fix it, and I bought a Praxis. Alongside that, I have never been a big supporter of slamfire. It has its uses, but for the most part I prefer single-fire mode (I hate wasteful ammo bursts from slamfire).

The Praxis, as far as I knew, had a pretty good track record, it didn't have slamfire (so it couldn't jam from trying to do so), and it was cheaper to buy than another Pyragon (I was broke at the time  Tongue; this is where "just because" comes in). So essentially, the Praxis fulfilled all of my prerequisites for my battle rifle concept (see my original post for an overview of that concept). My reasoning at the time was that I needed another blaster, but since I really didn't use slamfire the Praxis was good enough to do the job.

I will admit; the Pyragon IS better than the Praxis on paper. That being said, the Praxis is good enough to get the job done. I have yet to experience reliability issues from it, it fits my playing style (single-fire mode), and it has done a pretty damn good job so far.

So basically, to answer your question, there is no reason for me to buy another Pyragon, even though it is better than the Praxis. I'm just trying to save money (and space....so many Nerf blasters) by keeping the Praxis.

Spring 2014 Loadout:
irishknots

« Reply #3816 on: April 21, 2014, 10:58:07 PM »

Would you mind posting some pictures of your magnet attachment on the praxis? I would love to see how you went about nesting it into the blaster itself.

Primary: RapidStrike/Swarmy/RS mini
Secondary: 180 Blade Stryfe
Tertiary: Hammershot/Triad
Lots of ammo/socks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrW_0lfGSjg
CountryCuz2011
* Game Organizer

« Reply #3817 on: April 21, 2014, 11:10:39 PM »

Ummm...used a good slab of Gorilla epoxy  Cool. It's not a particularly pretty mod, but it gets the job done. The Praxis is blessed with a flat surface to do this mod fairly easy. I am researching ways to glue magnets on the inside of the shell; it's a work in progress.

* 041914155841.jpg (189.73 KB, 480x640 - viewed 386 times.)

Spring 2014 Loadout:
Lordmonocrona
* Game Organizer

Check out my blog: thenerfviewpoint.wordpress.com

« Reply #3818 on: April 22, 2014, 10:23:24 AM »

The jacket im thinking of isn't any specific brand, just some tight fitting probably nylon jacket, that will keep me decently warm here in Indiana. I know absolutely nothing about magnets, so im open to suggestions. lol

Check out my Blog!
http://thernerfview.blogspot.com/
"This class is boring, can we learn about dragons?"
CountryCuz2011
* Game Organizer

« Reply #3819 on: April 22, 2014, 11:42:02 AM »

A tight fitting shirt might work; I have no experience here so take my word with a grain of salt. Working with my own kind of logic, I believe an adjusting item of clothing would work best. At least if there is any slack you can fix that quickly by adjusting a few straps. That's why I'm using suspenders to mount mine.

I'm curious if it's possible to attach some kind of flexible, metal plate to the inside of a shirt, and it could act as a appropriate mount for the setup? Just some thoughts I'm mowing over right.

And for further clarification, I don't have really any experience with magnets either. When i saw the magnet I'm using, I just thought to myself, "that's looks strong enough to hold up a Nerf blaster." I am just lucky that I was right. Also, some of the suggestions I made earlier are from speculation as I learn more about what it takes to make a proper Halo mount.

Here is a source to begin some research into magnets: http://www.custom-magnets.com/magnetic_tape_specs.htm and http://www.magnogrip.com/index.cfm?pid=10570. So interesting fact; the magnogrip I use for my setup has a maximum tape measure holding capacity of 1.5 lbs. That is enough strength to hold up a Praxis, RDS, raider stock, and extended clip with 17+1 capacity. The chart I gave you from the other website shows you minimum magnetic pull in lbs. per linear foot. As the chart shows, 30 mil 1 inch magnetic tape with indoor adhesive has 6 lbs. per linear foot minimum magnetic pull. That is a lot of pulling power. Just for your educational benefit.

Spring 2014 Loadout:
Argurotox

« Reply #3820 on: April 22, 2014, 03:42:30 PM »

Just a side note on the magnet thing - I'm no engineer, but would it not be easier to use a combination of sling and magnetic plate? Say, a one-point sling clipped to your shoulder, and a belt-mounted magnetic plate extending up from the small of your back, to enable you to basically toss the blaster to your back, have most of the weight on the sling, and the magnetic plate keep it tucked close to your body rather than swinging about everywhere (the main weakness IMO of the sling)? This would allow you not to worry about the magnet being too strong to go back for the slung weapon, as it doesn't need to be strong enough to take the full weight..
CountryCuz2011
* Game Organizer

« Reply #3821 on: April 22, 2014, 03:58:15 PM »

I think the main reason why people are asking about my praxis is that I have it so it rests in "Spartan-style," like in Halo. Not saying your idea doesn't work, just people are asking a different question.

Spring 2014 Loadout:
irishknots

« Reply #3822 on: April 27, 2014, 05:41:16 PM »

Havent seen any new blowguns on here in quite a while, I am sure that GnomeofDoom would appreciate this.

Overall it is mostly cosmetic and ergonomic fixes. The Retal VFG balances the blowgun and allows a great steadying point. There are 14 extra dart holders made from 1/2 in CPVC just to keep ammo handy. On the top, there is a 3D printed Nerf rail to attach my PPS for S's and G's. The external plastic is 1/8 in laser cut acrylic.

I have another one that is very similar, as a guy at my games makes them and sells them for $5.

Primary: RapidStrike/Swarmy/RS mini
Secondary: 180 Blade Stryfe
Tertiary: Hammershot/Triad
Lots of ammo/socks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrW_0lfGSjg
Ozymandias

I met a survivor from Zombieland...

« Reply #3823 on: April 27, 2014, 05:49:36 PM »

I have another one that is very similar, as a guy at my games makes them and sells them for $5.

What a bro. Also, I wholeheartedly approve of the dart holders.

"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Dallas Metroplex, Texas
Ozymandias

I met a survivor from Zombieland...

« Reply #3824 on: May 01, 2014, 12:45:36 AM »

Continuing my never-ending quest to find new ways of carrying mags on the cheep, I bring you this:

Iams dog biscuits box. Dimensions are 4in. x 7.5 in. x 12 in. It can comfortably hold 9 18rd clips or 2 35rd drum mags.

Could be useful for defense missions, or maybe if you're in a squad you could tape it to someones backpack.

"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Dallas Metroplex, Texas
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 259
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.