August 22, 2017, 06:35:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Something Intresting occured on our campus  (Read 4197 times)
Boom

« on: April 20, 2013, 12:18:25 AM »

Sit down, and grab a cup of coffee, your about to hear a little story. Seriously, this will take a min.
So. . .Over Here at Missouri University of Science and Technology, aka Formerly U.M.R. We were running a game this week. It's through our HvZ organization that is attempting to become a Recognized Student Organization by the administration. Everything was running with relatively greased wheels on the first day(Monday the 15th), but by the end of second day we had some problems, aka the university police were called due to a possible "gun threat". It turned out it was a human sneaking around(obviously) U.P.D. gave us a basic warning and told us to be on our way. This usually happens like once every other semester, so they know us pretty well.

Then for Wednesday the 17th aka the day after, we had a main mission (hold the point) with a special side mission (Dubbed the swat van) this extra thing was just three of our mods located in a park near campus, the team was made up of me and two others. So long story short it was something for the zombies to either get (Swat Zombies), or humans (Get Swat Officers), Zombies won in less than a min after they arrived first. And since their main mission wasn't over yet they all take off, so all that is there is left is us three moderators dressed up in "swat gear" (not even close).  We're packing things up in to the van about to take off when the local cops show up. That's were things get interesting, more or less the same things were told to us with an emphasis on the recent events, and how local people are spooked. We're let on our way with a little more than a small slap on the wrist, and us being told we should inform them first next time. Since we were planing on doing something similar (aka in another local park) we were planning on taking their advice very seriously. Then there's yesterday, apparently the local police chief was very, very pissed about our HvZ game, and decided to contact our campus and inform them that they would refuse to respond to campus in the event of a "Gun Threat" and that anyone caught wearing these bandannas would be arrested. . . WHAAAA?Huh? Now out of precaution we shut our game down the instant we were informed of this so no shit would go down. Now here's where things get very, very interesting.

Now instead of something logical happening where campus shuts us down, something totally Illogical happened. The people who only took little notice of us, The Res-Hall Directors, The Administration, and even the University police in their entirety are backing our organization. They see our game as completely harmless, and almost part of the soul of our campus. I know that some administrators on our campus have reservations about the game, but they like to watch it too!
While it looks like were on our way to R.S.O. status, It also looks like there's a possibility we won't be able to really play outside of the campus P.D.'s jurisdiction. Hopefully the local P.D's chief is able to calm down and see that there's nothing dangerous about this game, Hell I know some of the local cops think it looks fun! (they also think it could be kind of dangerous, all I have to say is that's what waivers are for!) <Just Kidding

Currently our group is preforming the final checks to get this organization off the ground, we're going to be very busy the next couple of weeks getting everyone and everything completely organized. (Aka putting in more rules about painting blasters, at least that should reduce the amount of times we see the P.D. in general Smiley ) Oh, and possibly having "game in progress" flags for when large groups, or when the mod's choose to do some semi suspicious activities. . . yea, that should help. . . lol. At this point though, we're going to tighten our belts to look more professional, hopefully we'll get away with it, as long as there's no meddling kids.

So do you guys have any input to help, or speculation as to what could happen?
--BOOM
P.S: Great evidence to show that every campus is different, and how supporting some campus's administrations can be on this type of thing.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 12:26:40 AM by Boom » Logged

torukmakto4: What do you mean I can't use it in a thunderdome? It's a Reflex for pete's sake!
Jesse Abram
* Forum Moderator

~I am my own hero.~

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 12:30:41 PM »

This is a late posting, but it warmed my cold, moldy heart.  Was RSO status achieved?

The NoFreakin' Way - www.nofreakinway.weebly.com
Boom

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 10:39:08 PM »

UPDATE:
First off I apologize for not responding sooner, crap happens and whatnot.

So good news is we got RSO status, and are able to get more stuff done.

Bad news is that Nerf weapons/blasters in general are banned from campus (we were given an ultimatum by our campus P.D., blasters gone or game gone) <<< that being said the campus P.D. doesn't care about the Nerf blasters, neither does campus, they just wanted to get the Rolla P.D. to shut its stupid mouth.

The good news to the bad news is that the nearby Golf course owner loves what we do and has allowed us to have missions there with Nerf weapons (its private property so he dictates the rules xD). So we can use them for certain missions, which is good.

Hopefully we can get them re-allowed on campus sometime in the future, the sooner the local city police chief retires the better.

torukmakto4: What do you mean I can't use it in a thunderdome? It's a Reflex for pete's sake!
Catastrophe
* Game Organizer

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 02:50:46 AM »

I've heard of other games running sock-only for day play and blasters being allowed at offsite missions in the afternoons/evenings - definitely something that can work (and honestly, if numbers stay somewhat as expected through the week, you don't need anymore firepower than what you get from carrying socks in the first place).

Good luck on your future games and hopefully blasters make a return at some point.

Lindenwood University, St. Charles, MO
Game Administrator Spring '12 - Spring '13
Game Moderator Fall '13 - Fall '14 (semi-retired)
Catastrophe
* Game Organizer

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 02:51:50 AM »

I've heard of other games running sock-only for day play and blasters being allowed at offsite missions in the afternoons/evenings - definitely something that can work (and honestly, if numbers stay somewhat as expected through the week, you don't need anymore firepower than what you get from carrying socks in the first place).

Good luck on your future games and hopefully blasters make a return at some point.

Lindenwood University, St. Charles, MO
Game Administrator Spring '12 - Spring '13
Game Moderator Fall '13 - Fall '14 (semi-retired)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.