June 26, 2017, 06:36:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Taking Precautions  (Read 7817 times)
jabi54

« on: September 16, 2013, 11:32:10 PM »

Hey guys. I'm the V.P. of my universities HvZ organization (University of Massachusetts Dartmouth), and I'd like to discuss how everyone has dealt with all the recent controversies in regards to the increase in gun violence in the news, and even more relevant, things like the University of Rhode Island HvZ related gun scare (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/uri-campus-lockdown-reports-gunman-article-1.1307702), and the guy in Texas who made a real gun look like a Nerf blaster. With things being as sensitive as they are now, I want to take any and every precaution possible to ensure both the safety and security of everyone on campus while also ensuring the survival of the game, so I wanted to see what it was you all do to make sure a game goes as smoothly as possible. Personally, we always give detailed descriptions of all of our missions locations to our campus pd as well as meeting with them before every game to go over anything that they'd like. We also have a running data base of all approved modified blasters, which will now require photographs along with a detailed description. Honestly we are one of the luckier campuses in the sense that our administration has been very accommodating, but in return we try to do all that we can to make sure we accommodate everyone else on campus. If there is anything further we can do I'd love to incorporate it, so please share; how do you all ensure the safety of your games?
Jesse Abram
* Forum Moderator

~I am my own hero.~

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 12:25:48 PM »

For starters, don't bring up problems if administration doesn't mention them first.  If you're not worried about a real gun being dressed as a Nerf blaster, there is no reason to worry them.  Sure it's possible. Is it likely?  No.  Does HvZ make it more likely?  No.

In rule sets, I like to see the following lines included (and stressed) as rules or notes that state:

"All participants must not engage a non-player in any manner that could be considered threatening, intimidating, or offensive. Further, it is the responsibility of individual players to alert non-players within close proximity that you are a part of a campus game. No action or inaction by players should raise the stress level of a non-player."

and...

"Be aware of the words you are using, much of our terminology could be construed as violent.  Refer to dart guns as “dart blasters” or “Nerf blasters.”  Basically avoid the word “gun” as it is alarmingly terminology."

Have a plan for what you will do with players if a gun scare or other emergency occurs, game-related or not.  If your campus has emergency text alert, make sure all players are signed up for it.  Inform them of what happens to the game during emergencies. 

Obviously, during an emergency you will want to instigate total stoppage of play.  Blasters, bandanas, and gear should all be stowed immediately  Players should enter the nearest safely accessible building and wait for further instructions from admins and emergency personnel.  Follow all instructions from admins and emergency personnel.  Players will be contacted as soon as possible with a restart time, which will be a minimum of X hours after the start of the emergency.

The NoFreakin' Way - www.nofreakinway.weebly.com
Raist
* Game Organizer

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 11:33:03 AM »

In addition to the above:
When I helped have the meeting with the local campus administration, I decided to take the route of preempting the administrator's concerns by bringing it all up, but ALWAYS following each one up with solutions on how we were going to effectively handle them. This showed the administration that we were mature, had decent planning skills, and were willing to enforce things.

For the purposes of realistic looking blasters, requiring certain components (barrel tip, clips, clip release buttons, etc.) to be their stock bright orange has helped immensely, but I usually get strange looks once a year since I tend to prefer semi realistic looking paintjobs. (Usually a night camo) I know in some states, having the barrel tip bright orange is a requisite anyways.

Loc: Northland College
Roles: Player/Organizer/Moderator
Pri: Stampede, 15V Rechargeable
Sec: Recon with Barrel Extension
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.