March 24, 2017, 09:59:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Shut down after 1st game  (Read 2308 times)
impact36inc

"...The sweet piano writing down my life..."

« on: October 23, 2013, 11:55:36 AM »

Hey everyone. I'm one the Head Moderators for Johnson State College's (Johnson, VT) HvZ game and we had our first ever game in September. It was a huge hit and tons of fun! We expect double the amount of players for next game and even a few faculty members. However, our office of Student Activities, who we worked with for permissions and such, received many negative complaints (many of which were false accusations) and therefore had to shut us down after our first game. As our Administrative Representative I have been working very hard with them to get the game back up and running. We recently sent them a list of proposals and modifications that would stem the negativity yet still allow us to play HvZ as it is meant to be played. Here's a summary of a few of those proposals:

-Complaints were made about players running in buildings with blasters. We have modified our blaster policy to restrict players to keeping their blasters in backpacks/bags when inside.
-Complaints were made about play around ground-floor office/classroom windows. We will now issue warnings to players reported playing within 10 feet of ground-floor windows.

The format sent to the Student Activities office was much more professional, but this is just a taste of our issues.
Our player-base is becoming very anxious as we are now 1 week behind game schedule due to being shut down and the further delaying of agreements with Student Activities, Public Safety, and the Dean of Students. If there's any encouragement or suggestions I could gather from you kind people I would be most appreciative. I can also post the entirety of our proposal as well if needed.
Thank you!
~Thomas Gunn
Head Moderator/Administrative Representative - JSC HvZ

Head Moderator @ Johnson State College
Primary - EAT
Secondary - Stockade
Team Alpha Strike  - Squad Leader
Jesse Abram
* Forum Moderator

~I am my own hero.~

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 02:24:47 PM »

College admins can be real sticks-in-the-mud.  I know, I am one.  I hope they take a more reasonable approach going forward instead of sticking to their knee-jerk reaction to unsubstantiated complaints.  I don't understand why these people think they can operate without burden of proof. 

Anyway, I'd appreciate seeing the full proposal. It will serve as a good example for others as well.

A few questions and comments:

Just how many complaints did they receive?  Was it just a few from grumpy faculty or numerous from random passers-by?

Where can I find your rules?  I'd like to see those, too.

I say this with lots of love, but the "keep blasters in backpacks while inside" rule has been around since almost the beginning of HvZ, why did you not have it in your rule set?

Running inside buildings is a problem.  Do you have a rules like this?:

- Players should be considerate of other individuals on campus. Players should not hold up traffic, get in the way of pedestrians, block walkways, block entrances or exits to buildings, or engage in any other activity that would hinder regular campus activities.

- Shooting non-players with darts or hitting non-players with socks is a ban worthy offense, and could result in further action.

- All participants must not engage a non-player in any manner that could be considered threatening, intimidating, irritating, or offensive. Further, it is the responsibility of individual players to alert non-players within close proximity that you are a part of a campus game. No action or inaction by players should raise the stress level of a non-player.
People who are not registered participants may not directly interact with the game. 
This includes bringing food to players or spying for either team.

The NoFreakin' Way - www.nofreakinway.weebly.com
impact36inc

"...The sweet piano writing down my life..."

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 11:31:39 AM »

Update: We have been re-approved to play! =D

Jesse Abram, thanks for your input. We do have the rule about keeping blasters in bags while inside; players were just not sticking exactly to it and we didn't have the moderator presence yet to handle it. It's going to be taken care of very strictly now. We do have rules about not interfering with non-players, the concern was that the non-players were not aware of this. We will be distributing info flyers to all offices and dorms on campus this week for our upcoming game.
Thank you for your suggestions though! We had the basics of these outlined, but as we saw through this stressful no-play time, we need to be a lot more detailed and strict with our rulings and we are planning to be. =]

Head Moderator @ Johnson State College
Primary - EAT
Secondary - Stockade
Team Alpha Strike  - Squad Leader
Jesse Abram
* Forum Moderator

~I am my own hero.~

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 12:07:11 PM »

I am so glad to hear this!  I moderated at K-State, we had a fantastic game for five semesters and then they suddenly made a new rule disallowing even rowdy games of normal tag.  We spent an entire semester trying to reason with them, and went over our rules with a fine tooth comb, so I know a thing or two about fool-proofing rules.

Make sure your players are aware of what went down so they realize that nasty consequences could hurt the game if they don't follow the rules. 

If you have a chance, please post your proposal and rules so that others can get a look at them.  The more info we have available to the HvZ community the better.

Cheers!

The NoFreakin' Way - www.nofreakinway.weebly.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.