March 28, 2017, 08:04:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reloading Help  (Read 3573 times)
Awandyn

« on: November 03, 2013, 12:09:48 AM »

Hey guys, I have my very first game of HvZ coming up next week (6 days, 24 hours a day, with very few safe zones). That said, I've been using Nerf blasters for awhile now so I'm pretty familiar with my equipment; however, I have been practicing on reloading under pressure with a friend where he would try to chase me through a narrow corridor while I switch ammo clips. My question is, what do you guys do with the clip that's empty? In most situations, I feel that there isn't always the time where you can put it in a pocket or in your pack, but carrying it can be unwieldy and maybe even risky in case it is dropped/damaged. I'm trying to think of a way where I could toss it into a bag on my shoulder right away, but I would appreciate any input from the veterans out there.

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 01:18:57 AM by Jesse Abram » Logged
Jesse Abram
* Forum Moderator

~I am my own hero.~

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 01:18:38 AM »

Do you have a second blaster?  Swapping weapons is faster than reloading.

Keep a sock in your non-trigger-finger hand.  And have socks easily accessible.

Also, if you're forced to book it in such a manner that you have to reload rather than finding help from other humans, you'll probably be better off continuing to run until you're in the clear, or at least long enough that you can perform the reload and stow the empty mag.

The NoFreakin' Way - www.nofreakinway.weebly.com
evands

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 01:19:14 AM »

Depending on your magazines, you can tape them together.  What I do (and also the majority of clip-using players) is tape two 18-round magazines together, with one upside-down from the other.  This allows you to have two clips at once, and you just flip the clip 180 degrees to reload.  I've also done quad-clips by taping two flip-clips (also known as jungle clips) side-by-side so that there is a gap between the clips facing the same way.  Another great advantage is that you can scavenge darts and load them into one of the clips if it's not full, and flip it to a full clip whenever you feel like it.  Keeping your magazines topped off is VERY useful, especially when there aren't many safe zones to take advantage of.

If you're using drums, my only advice is to not use them anymore.  Sure, you can hold more ammo in a single drum, but they take up way too much space, they aren't very durable if they hit the ground, and most don't feed fast enough for many blasters.  Raider drums are the slowest and aren't even that great when slam-fired in Raiders, while the 25-round Rampage drums are fast enough for slam-fire but not fast enough for semi-auto.  Raider drums can be taped together as a dual drum, but the Rampage drum is centered and can't be combined with anything else (I've tried).  The only drums worth using are the old Alpha Trooper drums, and you can tape them together to make a dual-drum mag.  Still, nothing beats the capacity, reliability, and space efficiency of a few jungle clips.

If you want to switch out a completely empty mag under pressure, I would have a dump pouch or some sort of bag that you can throw the empty clip into.  Duct tape can be made into anything, and I've made a leg pouch that can hold two jungle clips securely, but it's still easy to quickly drop in the clip and pull out the other.  Also consider industrial velcro.  One guy at my school uses a lot of it to secure clips to the side of his Longshot, and I bet it would work well on a vest or something.  Home Depot has really cheap (yet strong) velcro that's applied like tape and comes in rolls of 15 feet or more.  Throw a strip of velcro on each side of your jungle clip, cover a vest or backpack in the opposite side of velcro, and you instantly have a secure yet accessible way of storing full and empty clips.

I don't have any photos, but take a look at this video on jungle clips:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeHv5aBfjfg

Also, I often carry two old Alpha Trooper drums in my back pockets as spares in case everything else is used up.  The drum will hang out the top of my pocket, but it doesn't shake loose or get uncomfortable, plus I have the advantage of 36 extra rounds.

Standard Loadout:
Primary - "Banshee" Rapidstrike (Blade 180 motors, adjustable ROF/flywheel power)
Secondary - extra clips and darts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbZSFws1LMU

Quote from: Ross_Varn
Rabid squirrels are not an approved special weapon on any campuses, keep that in mind.
Epochalyptik
* Game Organizer

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 03:34:17 AM »

If you're using a spring gun, remember that you need to disengage the bolt before you can reload. Practice the motions for disengaging the bolt and flipping a taped magazine in the well. You should be able to do it from muscle memory - you shouldn't have to even look at the gun during the process. Never take your eyes off your surroundings.

If you use a vest or a bandolier, test various orientations for magazines of various sizes. Figure out which mags fit comfortably in which loops, and which mags can be easily and quickly removed from which loops.

Also, test which magazines fall out of which guns. Often, some magazines fit loosely enough in some guns that they'll drop out if you press the mag release. Other mags might take more than gravity to fall. Tape mags based on their fit and count - keep mags of the same size and fit together. You can color-code them with different duct tapes or markings to identify them.

For example, I know Retaliators tend to have looser magazine wells. EATs and Stryfes tend to have tighter magazine wells. Also, non-Elite magazines tend to fit a bit more loosely than Elite magazines.

Human role: heavy/sharpshooter
Primary: EAT (AR removal, Stockade stock, dart holder, 18+18 jungle mag) [sharpshooting]
Secondary: Stryfe (mechanical lock removal, foregrip, 18+18 jungle mag) [CQC]
Sidearm: Hammershot, socks, Triad
Utility: Vest
Optional: Rapidstrike (35-dart drum) [support]
torukmakto4

DANGER - Stored Energy

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 11:45:07 AM »

Is a mag worth your life?

Oftentimes the time required to stow an empty mag is very much nontrivial in some given situation and can put you at a serious disadvantage. In these situations (which it sounds like you will see a lot of) the best course of action is to discard the empty mag.

CT-2406
Quartermaster of the Florida 501st

You are now entering The Dart Zone
Ross_Varn
* Game Organizer

Page of Bluff

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 01:25:05 PM »

Carry socks, and mark your mags. Often, on the frontlines of a group hold situation, you can dump a mag and be almost certain that you can recover it later- but that's not as likely if you don't put your name on it. When you're running or skirmishing, you may have a moment more time to drop a mag into a pocket or dump bag, but you never can rely on that. (cargo pants are your friends) Best thing to do, though? Carry socks. Velcro them to your blaster, stick them in your pockets, wear a sockbelt- the only thing more reliable than a clip-fed ROF beast is a rolled-up piece of footwear, for when that thing runs dry.

Lindenwood University - St. Charles MO
Loadout: Agile Wit
Sixth Kira

"I'll take this potato chip... and I'll eat it!"

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 10:19:14 AM »

For example, I know Retaliators tend to have looser magazine wells.

I can support this. Recon is identical - it appears to be something to do with their moulding process (also provides a potentially interesting confirmation that the Retaliator is an odd inversion of the trend of Recon reshells we saw a couple of years ago). Magazines fall out easily from them; no other blaster I've found does that.

Wearer of the great and mighty longcoat. Worship my coat and all it stands for, gentlemen.

"Sir, how many darts does this blaster fire per second?"

"all of them"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.