April 23, 2017, 05:31:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Forming a 501c3 nonprofit for HvZ?  (Read 2269 times)
Verdagon

« on: December 17, 2013, 06:38:17 PM »

Hey guys! Here in Camarillo, we're having some interesting troubles finding locations for our game. One of the areas we'd want to play in has a $300 application fee. However, if we apply as a nonprofit organization (a 501c3), then the application fee is free.

So we're thinking, perhaps we should make a 501c3. Or better yet, if HvZ already has a nonprofit somewhere, perhaps we could work with them and apply in their name.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice for our situation?
Jesse Abram
* Forum Moderator

~I am my own hero.~

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 11:24:55 AM »

I don't know of any HvZ organization that are registered for tax purposes, as 501c3 or otherwise, unless the various college organizations are registered in some way.  I don't think Gnarwhal Studios is a nonprofit, since the studio sells a couple games that aren't HvZ.

Do you have a local church you could partner with?  Or a Big Brother Big Sister?   Partnering with an existing group in your area would be my suggestion.

The NoFreakin' Way - www.nofreakinway.weebly.com
Ozymandias
* Forum Moderator

I met a survivor from Zombieland...

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 06:55:34 PM »

Late to the party, my apologies.

With that $300 app fee, how often would you be paying it, and how much effort are you guys willing to exert to not have to pay it?

If a HvZ organization wanted to obtain 501(c)(3) status, it would be under Section 509(a)(2).

You would be required to file a 990-N every year, which isn't too terribly complicated. You can file it over the internet, even.

You do need to have bylaws, as well as a formerly elected president/director, secretary, and treasurer.

If you want to pursue this route, you probably want to talk to someone at the IRS first. There is an IRS office in Camarillo.

"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Dallas Metroplex, Texas
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.