May 26, 2017, 10:55:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: On the merits of heavy loadouts  (Read 9936 times)
Epochalyptik
* Game Organizer

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014, 04:10:51 AM »

I can lone-wolf against pretty surprising odds with this loadout, but that has something to do with the skill disparity between me and the majority of the zombies on my campus. Were the zombies better than they are, I'd have a harder time. Either way, I lack the requisite speed to guarantee my own survival purely through mobility. That's not my MO, though. I'm almost always the rifleman/caster/ranged unit in any game, not just HvZ.

But, as Sixth Kira said, the idea of the heavy is central to group action. Most of the humans around me tend to be pretty lightly outfitted, so I do most of my work as a support gunner and area denial crackshot when we do point defense objectives or horde breaking.

Human role: heavy/sharpshooter
Primary: EAT (AR removal, Stockade stock, dart holder, 18+18 jungle mag) [sharpshooting]
Secondary: Stryfe (mechanical lock removal, foregrip, 18+18 jungle mag) [CQC]
Sidearm: Hammershot, socks, Triad
Utility: Vest
Optional: Rapidstrike (35-dart drum) [support]
ZRTAthens

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 01:14:58 PM »

I basically can not run. Over the last two years I have regained the ability for very short 10 foot sprints, but rapid movement for me simply is not an option. This has lead me to be a very heavy loadout player.

My main weapon is a Stampede with AR restrictors removed. Attached underbelly is a 10 dart  Speedswarm. On the left side is a modified buzz grenade that holds 6 darts. This has been set for release of all 6 darts at the touch of a button, hitting an area 5 feet out 5 feet across. On the right side is usually mounted a single shot hand pistol. My main magazines for this is either a double 18 clip, in a V patterm that allows me to reload the secondary clip, or a 35 round drum. (working on a double 35 for large mission loads)

My secondary weapon is a very reliable Mav (never jammed once in 4 years) AR modded, barrel extension removed, drum folds out all the way.

I also carry several single to triple shot elite weapons for last ditch efforts.

In a backpack I usually carry pencil cases with 20-30 rounds each, as well as medic supplies and snack/water supplies. The cases can easily be tossed to team mates for easy reloads.

As secondary weapons I also have a severely modded raven, with dual step power of 13.5 to 22.5 volts, dual battery modded barricades, and a large selection of longshots, shotguns, rifles, recons, vulcans and other various weapons for loaners. All are usually kept in my vehicle during events. Also in my vehicle are usually several cases of water, and various quick energy snacks.

Ross_Varn
* Game Organizer

Page of Bluff

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 10:08:36 PM »

In a backpack I usually carry pencil cases with 20-30 rounds each, as well as medic supplies and snack/water supplies. The cases can easily be tossed to team mates for easy reloads.

That is... really clever. I may have to steal it. The medic supplies I carry as well, but I quite like that idea.

Lindenwood University - St. Charles MO
Loadout: Agile Wit
Epochalyptik
* Game Organizer

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 12:04:35 AM »

The backpack is a cool idea, but it's a situational kind of thing. If you're on day-long missions, I can certainly see it being viable as a sustainability measure. My missions tend to last only a few hours, and I opt for a vest instead of the bag because I need immediate access to my munitions.

Primary: EAT (AR removal, Stockade stock, dart holder, 18+18 jungle mag) [sharpshooting]
Pompadour64

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2014, 04:34:11 PM »

I really like the pencil case idea. It feels very video game-esque. I could see using the backpack in tandem with the vest. I don't see it as a "one or the other" sort of deal, especially if you can't, or don't want to, run for whatever reason. This heavy/support playstyle seems like it could be really fun and useful on a team.
Epochalyptik
* Game Organizer

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 05:27:59 PM »

I could see using the backpack in tandem with the vest. I don't see it as a "one or the other" sort of deal

I suppose it depends largely on the vest and pack. You can't really use the N-Strike vests with backpacks because the backpack's straps obstruct the vest's mag and dart loops.

Sixth Kira

"I'll take this potato chip... and I'll eat it!"

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 06:00:24 PM »

I suppose it depends largely on the vest and pack. You can't really use the N-Strike vests with backpacks because the backpack's straps obstruct the vest's mag and dart loops.

This is correct. However, if I'm not wrong, there do exist MOLLE-compatible backpacks, correct?

Wearer of the great and mighty longcoat. Worship my coat and all it stands for, gentlemen.

"Sir, how many darts does this blaster fire per second?"

"all of them"
Jangular

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2014, 06:18:15 PM »

Does anyone have a link to pencil boxes that will fit darts? all I'm finding online are sizes that are too small Sad
Pompadour64

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2014, 06:59:24 PM »

I was imagining the cheap, plastic ones found at places like Walmart in abundance during the back to school season, but I guess "pencil case" is a bit ambiguous. In any case, I didn't even know they made pencil cases that are too small for darts. 
Jangular

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2014, 07:15:56 PM »

Yeah, all the ones I'm seeing max out at around 2.5 inches tall, which is a bit too small for darts Sad unless you put the darts in sideways, but I for some reason was assuming they were standing up for neatness sake.
ZRTAthens

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2014, 04:46:52 AM »

Yeah, all the ones I'm seeing max out at around 2.5 inches tall, which is a bit too small for darts Sad unless you put the darts in sideways, but I for some reason was assuming they were standing up for neatness sake.

I carry two sizes, both from Walmart. The darts are just laid down inside. The small holds 2 "piles" of darts, laying down. The larger holds around a 100 darts laying down. These cases also prevent the darts from being smashed. And these can be shared. In cases of quick  missions you can grab a few cases, stuff your rear pants pockets, and run like hell.

Also, I have often used the nerf vest with a backpack. It still allows the several darts to be used in the top bands, a maverick in the holster, and usually my phone and some socks in the zipper pocket.

BTW- when I first started playing, I also strapped a folding canvas chair to my backpack, since as a zombie I needed to sit a lot when inactive due to my ankle injury having never healed.
KeiichiRX7

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2014, 04:36:40 PM »

Glad to see I'm not alone in compensating for mobility issues with insane firepower.  Due to injuries to my lower back and knees from a car accident, it's REALLY hard to run without aggravating those injuries, which can make me a zombie buffet.
KreeWest1313

100% not Legit Rapidpistol

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2014, 12:15:17 AM »

In groups the support role seems to be a good idea. If you wanted to make it a little more extreme get two backpacks. Wear one on the front (If possible find one with molle or similar to still have a 'vest') and the other on your back. Use the front one for clips, pencil cases, ect. With the back for food, water, first aid, and more ammo. Then otherwise just go your heavy loadout. You won't be able to run at all, but if your team doesn't ditch you, you'll be supplying lots of gear. Also a easy way to be MVP (players will love you)

Loadout
Primary: Rapid Strike/Modded Raider
Secondary: Stongarm
Tertiary: Blowgun and socks
Sixth Kira

"I'll take this potato chip... and I'll eat it!"

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2014, 07:43:21 PM »

A quick unit structure idea my 2 i/c and I had -

Y'see, my 2 i/c and I are the two best players in the team. He's extraordinarily fast and utterly legendary with a Recon, and I'm an excellent support gunner/rifleman with my Stampede (and about two hundred rounds on my vest, plus another five hundred in my pack). We make an excellent team.

However, we've recently got a whole bunch more people, so we're considering running as an odd kind of unit. Four heavies, four bare-minimum scouts. The scouts kite the enemy and focus them into kill zones where the heavies can take them out. On paper, it should work flawlessly.

Good idea, or tactically infeasible?

Wearer of the great and mighty longcoat. Worship my coat and all it stands for, gentlemen.

"Sir, how many darts does this blaster fire per second?"

"all of them"
Epochalyptik
* Game Organizer

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2014, 08:28:50 PM »

Tactically feasible.

One of the things I noticed during yesterday's practice was that the human group tended to include two kinds of players. One was the one-gun-run kind of player: the perfect kiter, and a useful tool for harassing and influencing zombies. The other was the hold-the-line kind of player. Granted, this subgroup was poorly equipped by our normal standards, but they were the ones forming the kill zones and providing fire for the runners.

The problem is that the humans didn't actually have to move anywhere. They were playing survival rounds on a flat-top with some cover and nearby respawns. Once you introduce motion into the equation, you need to make sure your squad is on the same page in regards to move speed and positioning. Both groups are screwed if they don't work together properly.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.