May 28, 2017, 12:46:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: As a Zombie, who do you go after?  (Read 3050 times)
Multi

well fed zombie

« on: March 18, 2014, 07:17:56 PM »

We've all been here before. There's a group of humans in front of you shooting wildly into the horde. Your friends are getting stunned left and right as you sprint towards the enemy. In front of you are 4 humans, each with different blasters:
-Human A has a modded Rapidstrike with 2 Swarmfires duct taped on each side. He's also carrying a vest full of clips
-Human B has a blowgun and a Snapfire with a bag of loose darts on his hip.
-Human C has a Deploy and clips stuffed in his pockets.
-Human D has a trash bag full of socks.

Which one do you tag (assuming you can only tag one)? Why? Would your choice be different if you were ambushing this group alone?

Primary: Akimbo Stryfes
Sidearm: Triad
Equipment: Lots and lots of darts and socks
Ross_Varn
* Game Organizer

Page of Bluff

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 07:40:38 PM »

With a 100% chance at a confirmed tag-

Group, during a mission: A. Tagging the fully-loaded members of a Human force can be incredibly demoralizing for the less-prepared members of the crew. If the humans lose the ability to withstand charges, they're one step closer to losing effective cohesion, and we all know what that means...

Alone and otherwise: B. Blowgunners and sock ninjas both are an incredibly valuable resource, as to survive they utilize the same skillsets as high-caliber hunting zombies. This player is probably a veteran of the game as well, to be proficient with their chosen weapon, and having those with the horde just means good things.

If the odds were not in my favor, though, I'd go after C. They're less likely to be able to effectively stun me before I tag them, and we can always use another headband for the horde!

Lindenwood University - St. Charles MO
Loadout: Agile Wit
Hardware
* Game Organizer

Vanguard Squad Armorer

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 12:52:07 AM »

First I'll answer, then I'll convert the options to what I deal with on a regular basis:

In a large group of zombies, I'd be hiding behind the biggest guy and jumping that Rapidstrike/Swarmfire integration. It usually means he's the leader, or at least the most dangerous to a large group of zeds. Stop him, weaken the unit, morale or otherwise. When the big gun goes down, they usually break.
 However, Ross made a point about the Blowgunner and sock ninja being dangerous. On first glance, these guys appear to be experienced vets who can and most likely will do a ton of damage in their ideal conditions. As for the deploy, I fit that in there next to the Roughcut and Strongarm. Viable weapons in the right hands, but on average, not as good as the others.

Let me slightly modify that to my campus' loadout: (which is mostly modern weaponry, due to HvZ being only a year old here.)
 -Human A has an overvolted Stryfe/Roughcut Masterkey, with extra mags.
 -Human B has a OMW Massacre upgraded Longshot with a sealed breach, and a Strongarm holstered on his hip.
 -Human C has dual Hammershots, with dart bandoliers crisscrossing his chest.
 -Human D is that same darn Sock Ninja that plagues every Zed's dreams.

How does this hold up in comparison? Does it change your attack plans?

Loadout:
9.6v Rayven on shoulder sling w/35 drum and mounted Polaroid sports action video camera
12v Swarmpistol
Sock bandolier and dart pouch, Triad
A lot of stupidity

Building stuff is the most fun part of HvZ.
MJC2605

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 06:45:22 AM »

We've all been here before. There's a group of humans in front of you shooting wildly into the horde. Your friends are getting stunned left and right as you sprint towards the enemy. In front of you are 4 humans, each with different blasters:
-Human A has a modded Rapidstrike with 2 Swarmfires duct taped on each side. He's also carrying a vest full of clips
-Human B has a blowgun and a Snapfire with a bag of loose darts on his hip.
-Human C has a Deploy and clips stuffed in his pockets.
-Human D has a trash bag full of socks.

Which one do you tag (assuming you can only tag one)? Why? Would your choice be different if you were ambushing this group alone?

I'd take A out of the game because he's likely to be the kind of player that would hold a human group together - lose a guy with a modded RS and the humans could potentially buckle completely. B and D are also likely to be very strong players that know their loadouts and the humans would miss them . C assuming the deploy is stock is also a viable target due to the weakness of the deploy however as Ross said its great to build horde numbers up early on.

FXU Zombie Society Interim Chairman/Moderator 14/15
Top Zombie Spring 13 weeklong
Primary -Slaughterhouse Stampede (6KG spring ,AR delete,LifePo4 battery and custom paint job )
Secondary/outside of missions - Hammershot in BSUK MK4 Holster or Strongarm.
Multi

well fed zombie

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 11:16:58 AM »

Sounds like this is a harder decision to make than I thought...

torukmakto4

DANGER - Stored Energy

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 12:25:48 PM »

Terminating the human that will most damage the Resistance by their absence is only half the situation. The other concern is creating a zombie that will most benefit the Horde by their presence. Below I make reference to the OP descriptions of the 4 humans that may be tagged.

Human A is who I would expect most zeds to want to kill most. He certainly appears to be a competent player, and as the only one of the four who is Doing It Right as a classical infantryman, he has the greatest value to the humans in most common endgame type situations, large firefights. He has the highest numerical killing power and is a visible icon whose loss will squash morale in most less organized and trained bands of humans. However, assuming this is a typical player of this type, he doesn't present anything but a classical threat, and most important, this type of player is almost certainly a career human who is an incompetent zombie.

Humans B and D are more likely to be well-rounded players, and are filling roles typically occupied by the longest-serving veterans in a game with the greatest and most balanced skill sets unrelated to a specific purpose like weapons. As mentioned before, their human roles require zombie-applicable skills, and these players are likely to have zombie experience and general strategic know-how that could add greatly to the Horde. As humans they may contribute more heavily to unconventional combat, become critical when stealth, speed, scouting, CQB skirmishing with high efficiency, and precision action are required (while the likes of Human A don't accomplish much or become a resource hog) and act as a very serious thorn in the side, but they are not a large-scale threat as individuals to most Hordes.

Human C is a non-consideration from the standpoint of eliminating human forces; likely he is an apathetic or unskilled player, and is at least currently an ineffective player by means of the choice of weapon. He is not worth wasting the tag on simply to kill, but he is an unknown quantity with respect to zombiehood. He may be a career zombie who is currently a casual human, and may in fact have the highest strategic value of the four when dead. Or he could be a total noob. It's hard to say.

Who you use your one tag on depends on the circumstances and gamestate. As far as human force elimination goes: Is there a problem with overly high survivability in large engagements, or are zeds being picked off sneakily and run circles around, or neither? And zombie-wise, is the horde hurting for numbers or in need of leadership or skill? Can a gamble be taken?

You could be tagging any one of the four, depending.

CT-2406
Quartermaster of the Florida 501st

You are now entering The Dart Zone
Multi

well fed zombie

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 01:33:12 PM »

Well said, everyone. The reason I left out descriptions of the actual people behind the weapons is because I didn't want it to factor in. Assume that they are all relatively the same-looking person with average athletics/leadership/experience.

There are 2 reasons I'm asking.
1. I want to be a better zombie, and I have found myself on both sides of the fence--tag the biggest weapon/tag the best potential zombie/tag the easiest for more numbers.

2. I want to start customizing my load out to appear less desirable to zombies (I'm actually really excited about this part).

Herbert West

Mad scientist

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 02:48:59 PM »

Here is another factor to take into account: does your game feature starve timers?

At my last university, games ran for one week and a zombie would starve if they went more then 48 hours between kills (or assists). It was quite common for the vast bulk of the noob players to turn early in the game, and for large numbers of zombies (including some experienced zombies) to starve mid-game because all of the easy prey had been taken.

If Mr. Deploy is a noob, it may be a good idea to leave him alive just so that you can nab him later, when you need the feed.

Human A [...] doesn't present anything but a classical threat, and most important, this type of player is almost certainly a career human who is an incompetent zombie.

Good post, but I have to disagree on this one point. In my experience, skilled/experienced human players also tend to be skilled/experienced zombie players. Many of the skills required to excel on either side are also useful for the other, and people who have played enough games of HvZ to be experienced as a human will almost certainly have plenty of experience as a zombie, too.

On the other hand, there are players who only want to play as a human, and who will throw a snit when turned. They aren't necessarily incompetent zombies, but they are still bad zombies because of this attitude problem. In my experience, such players are fortunately rare, but from what I've read on this forum they seem to be more common in other games.

So, this could go either way, depending on the player (or, if you don't know the player, on the general attitude towards zombies in your game).

1. I want to be a better zombie, and I have found myself on both sides of the fence--tag the biggest weapon/tag the best potential zombie/tag the easiest for more numbers.

This, like many things in life, is an optimization problem which becomes intractably complex when you attempt to account for all relevant factors. Given that this a decision which is typically made in a split second, it's probably best to follow a simple decision-making algorithm. In most situations, it will be obvious which human you want to tag. Otherwise, if the values of a set of available targets are close enough that it is difficult to identify the optimal target, then their values are close enough that identifying the optimal target is not very important. It is better to quickly identify a good target than to identify an optimal target too late.

2. I want to start customizing my load out to appear less desirable to zombies (I'm actually really excited about this part).

Ooh, interesting. Most people try to look as intimidating as they can, or try to not be noticed, if they care about their appearance at all. I've never heard of anyone trying to look like a human player, but one who isn't worth tagging.

Unfortunately, there won't be a simple way to do this, if it can work at all. At best this will be a difficult strategy to pull off, as you will need to anticipate what the zombies in your game desire. You'll need to pull a Batman gambit against the entire horde. At worst, changing your appearance will merely cause different zombies to target you for a different set of reasons.

Quote from: Agatha Heterodyne
A dream merely soothes - but our nightmares make us run!
Sixth Kira

"I'll take this potato chip... and I'll eat it!"

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 08:52:48 PM »

If you want to make yourself a less obvious target, the first step is to ensure that your weapons look stock. A Stryfe or something might be good here - it's small, common and compact, but can be made into an extremely efficient weapon with the right mods.

The second step is to mod the living hell out of it without changing the external appearance whatsoever. Completely gut it if you like. If you're feeling particularly ambitious, take something like a Stryfe and cram it inside a Deploy casing. That way, you'll maintain maximum combat effectiveness with minimum physical presence.

Wearer of the great and mighty longcoat. Worship my coat and all it stands for, gentlemen.

"Sir, how many darts does this blaster fire per second?"

"all of them"
Multi

well fed zombie

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 02:42:56 PM »

I'm actually really interested in doing this now. I wonder what the best nooby looking shell would be for a stryfe. It's probably not the Deploy because of the weird magazine placement. Maybe an old Recon?

Argurotox

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 03:15:32 PM »

I dunno about how it'd work at your game, but at my game, putting a Stryfe into a Deploy shell (or something similarly common) would make it more of a target in early days or when feeds are needed for "easy" tags, but you'd be unlikely to actually -get- tagged, since Zs would expect a manual action when attacking you, then as soon as the Horde realised what you were doing (I.E, one engagement later), you'd be targeted, same as everyone who mods their guns extensively, for being a dangerous human player likely to be co-ordinating groups and generally being a pain to the Zs Cheesy.
Sixth Kira

"I'll take this potato chip... and I'll eat it!"

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 03:34:44 AM »

I'm actually really interested in doing this now. I wonder what the best nooby looking shell would be for a stryfe. It's probably not the Deploy because of the weird magazine placement. Maybe an old Recon?

Not sure that a Recon would be big enough for a Stryfe. Not easily, at least.

Wearer of the great and mighty longcoat. Worship my coat and all it stands for, gentlemen.

"Sir, how many darts does this blaster fire per second?"

"all of them"
Zombona

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 06:23:36 AM »

Not sure that a Recon would be big enough for a Stryfe. Not easily, at least.

Obligatory "Challenge Accepted" comment.

I do so love my OJ Stryfe.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.