February 23, 2018, 04:15:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: A treatise on why foam melee weapons should not be permitted en-mass in HvZ  (Read 36897 times)
jjj2576
* Game Organizer

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 01:17:49 PM »

Shane: What melee weapons do you allow at Pitt? What are the standards for melee weapons?

-The Jesse J. R. Jennings

Primary: Modifed LongShot (Added Spring)
Secondary: Modified NiteFinder (PVC Barrel, AR's removed, Added Spring, Rubberbands)

[1:22:21 AM] Erik "Chuck" Norris: Voldemort's truer evil was making Turtles On Tour
Chicago Ted
* Game Organizer

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 10:49:57 PM »

the humans say "Hey, theres a zombie, lets rush him and beat him to death!!!!".

Couldn't have said it better myself.
I think you just quoted my "Counter-Zombie Warfare Handbook"
Newbs
* Game Organizer

You've got red on you

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 03:51:11 PM »

We have had one game (I think) that had melee weapons as a mission reward. I was unable to attend this game (I either couldn't get a lift or be bothered to get out of bed, I forget which), so don't know the full details, but melee weapons have not been used since, so I assume that it did not work well. (We play one-day games, by the way.)

Loadout
Primary: Berserker, centre barrel rebarrelled to take darts.
Secondary: Rebarrelled Big Salvo to take darts / Barricade (stock).
Sidearm: Badly Well rebarrelled Element (fixed it! Cheesy ).
NoBrainer

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 02:39:36 AM »

A Zombie story with swords, axes, and flails?  Not only does it sound ridiculous, it is an extra aspect of the game that must be controlled, and I honestly think that it makes us look more ridiculous (and not the badass, Nerf arsenal type).  Melee weapons are overpowering and unnecessary.
D-Mo

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2010, 03:42:56 PM »

The new nerf battle axe the "Warlock" I think is actually very safe I took a few swings at myself with it (as hard as I could), and it didn't hurt at all.  As far as the nerf swords go those can be painful, but we had melee weapons closely controlled. 

First, they had to be tested by a moderator. 

Second, these approved weapons were only allowed to be used for missions, so they were really a back up (and ineffective at that).

Third, even having these when the zombies rushed us there were so many that it was impossible to swing said weapon (due to spacing and the time it would have taken to actually move the weapon around the stunned zombies).

However, I do think that the melee should be limited to missions or when the zombie populace begins to get so large that it would otherwise be impossible for the rest of the humans to last.  Due to the potential safety risk EVERY violator of the melee weapon rules ought to be disqualified from the game (or volunteer to be beaten to continue playing...) 

-Weapon Layout-

-Primary: Raider

-Secondary: Sawed off Buzz Bee Double-Shot (w/shell holder on side)

-Sidearm: Nite Finder (AR removed, gutted the laser, and added LED light on side)
agentjonnyb
* Game Organizer

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2010, 07:51:15 PM »

In respectful disagreement, I am going to share my school's story regarding melee. Take note however, I am sharing how melee worked for us. This does not mean I think it will work for any school, but I think there are plenty of others that really could consider it.

Over here at Geneseo, we have now played two rounds with nerf swords (only the regulars, banned the Longswords, those things are about as hard as wooden training swords) and axes, with prohibition on dual-wielding melee, and very strict ruling on striking at the lower body (with the exception that a zombie dives down into the path of an already moving blade or dart, they acknowledge that they do that at own risk of getting a whack to the head, which has still turned out minimal, and when it happens, it's been nothing more than a brief sting), and ties are in favor of zombies (they happen a lot), after all, they get that close, they deserve the kill.

This semester we haven't had a single complaint about melee-related injuries, tackling on the other hand is far more dangerous as it can cause broken bones versus an occasional minor bruise if anything.

The Nerf swords have proven themselves to be anything but "overpowered". The paranoia and horror remains extreme - no one feels safe with a sword, but they do feel slightly more confident, just enough to go outside a little more (which is what we want humans to do anyway, right?) but many still want to stay inside. Right from the start, humans dropped like flies, and about 99% of them were in fact using melee in addition to guns. We'd lose quite a few stragglers during the day, and then massacres at night. It's all dependent on the user - some people are just naturally fast and effective, others, surprisingly enough, are very ineffective and get picked off by as few as 1 or 2 zombies a lot. One cannot really just swing away and take them all out, as these are foam, they are not real blades that will cut right through one opponent and progress to the other - they get "stuck" for a second, which is critical. There is just as much need for strategy as before - strategy is still everything.

The melee use here has actually contributed to the balance of the game, but has not completed it - Zombies have triumphed over swords twice now, and will without a doubt once again in the fall. Melee offers a much smaller edge than what I think any of us would have ever imagined. Looking at the history of this game, zombies don't just win some 90% of the time, they pwn most of those games. Addition of melee alone is not as likely to turn that around as many of us would think - it may hardly reduce the zombie victory rate at all, but instead simply make it a closer match during gameplay instead of a simple slaughter. I personally hate to see one side get slaughtered, things are much more interesting when two teams are neck-neck. But we still haven't reached that level of a match yet, but we almost did this time - and it was intense!

Again, it may all be dependent on the type of college we're at. Here, the hardcore seem to be a minority, and not a very large percentage are likely to survive a fight between 1 human with a sword and 5 zombies.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 11:54:44 AM by agentjonnyb » Logged

manfred

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2010, 03:44:04 AM »

I have been to several hvz games and have helped in modding a couple. We have always allowed melee weapons in all of our games and nobody has been injured to the point of being seriously hurt. Maybe a bruise or two. Melee weapons are much better than guns, in my opinion, because you don't have to reload a sword. A lot of people use homemade melee weapons which have a lot of padding and, if made properly, don't tear themselves apart. I understand the concern about the game becoming unfair for zombies but it is still very possible for zombies to tag a human. It has happened to me several times and I was with several other people who were just using melee weapons and we all were surrounded and killed. I am still paranoid when I see zombies heading my way and running towards them in battle will only give me more zombie attention. Actually, I think that melee weapons make the game scarier because you can't just safely pick off zombies from a distance. You have to get close to the zombie and that can get pretty intense. Especialy when the zombies outnumber your squad. I think that melee weapons make the game more balanced and more fun. Bum rushing just leads to overconfidence, letting your guard down, and probable zombification. Even if the human starts flailing like crazy he will probably just wear himself out and get killed. There will always be that human who swings too hard or the zombie that tackles people but you just got to ignore it and try to enjoy the game.

Well piece by piece and nail by nail it will come down someday before the fires of hell.
Blackbelt13
* Game Organizer

Best to die in fire, than in darkness

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2010, 09:08:05 AM »

While I see why melee foam weapons can work, I don't allow them in my games because the games have too few people. I do however find that if a few people want to RP fight, be my guest. When they are RP fighting they have a means to defend themselves besides dodging. Have you guys ever seen those ducttape battles? Those are hilarious. It usually comes down that the people who spent all that time on their armor can't move well and get owned by a shirtless guy with a huge war hammer. Shields wouldn't work in HvZ either because they would just block darts. Better to leave melee out or severely limit it.

Lot's of weapons
Dandelo
* Game Organizer

Known. Some. Call. Is. Air. Am.

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2010, 12:15:35 PM »

Good post. I've jokingly thought about asking for permission to forgo my right to use automatics once they are unlocked in lieu of two short nerf swords. With my hyperlong arms, no zombie would get even close to me.

...Which is why I've never asked.

Moderator at Truman State
uro627
* Game Organizer

Founder of HvZ at Youngstown State University.

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2010, 12:18:17 PM »

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum.

I am on a mod team that is currently working on bringing HvZ to Youngstown State University (Ohio).

Our current plans for the game include the use of Nerf brand melee weapons (excluding the Nerf Long Sword) with several restrictions. The  ability to wield Nerf swords would not be available right away and would only be available to players who complete a certain mission about midway through the game.  Players who have earned the right to carry a sword will have a unique mark placed on their player ID card and Moderators can check melee weapon carrying players' card at random at any point in the game. We also threw around the idea that players may be able to find melee cards around campus that allow the use of melee weapons for the player that finds it.

Also, we stated that a zombie is only stunned by a melee weapon with a touch to the torso (chest or back) or to the legs thus allowing zombies to parry melee attacks with their arms and hands.

This system is not yet tested. We are hoping to hold day-long Beta Tests this summer to feel out all of our rules and mission ideas so we can have a smooth full-length (7 Day) game in the fall.

Any thoughts, concerns or comments?

YSU HvZ. Finally a thing after years of it not...
LimeyMan
* Game Organizer

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2010, 12:32:48 PM »

Nerf longswords hurt. Generally stick to anything made out of pool foam noodle material and you should be fine. Also sock flails seem effective.

Moderator at Claremont Colleges
Dandelo
* Game Organizer

Known. Some. Call. Is. Air. Am.

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2010, 03:03:02 PM »

Socks flails? *Thinks about the sock-rolling techniques he's seen*

Oh god. Oh god. Welts.

Moderator at Truman State
boothhenry1
8: Undefined index: group_stars
File: /home4/humansvs/public_html/forums/Themes/default/Display.template.php (main sub template - eval?)
Line: 302