March 28, 2017, 09:51:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Supers- both Human and Zombie  (Read 4386 times)
Kato
* Game Organizer

« on: June 24, 2014, 09:54:01 AM »

So at my school we have tried super Zs and couple super humans which actually turn out to being a human with some helpful equipment. I was hoping to compile a list of ones that worked well for you guys and ones that kind of failed, so ill start with mine (also if you have any critics or additions please speak up):

*not field tested

Super Zombies-

Tank- a super who is unaffected by Nerf and marshmallow, the only thing that can stun him is a thrown sock, regular spawn time.
    Smoker- regular zombie with a can of silly-string, hit with the silly-string counts as tag.
    Wraith*- zombie that can pass through obstacles, normal stun time.
    Witch*- wears reversible white/black jacket. White- invincible, can not tag, can not communicate with other zombies. Black- can tag, stun-able, can communicate with other zombies. also has to break line of sight to change from black to white and vice versa

"Super" humans-

Grenadier- regular human but has a light up bouncy ball that is very bright and distracting when the ball going off, all zombies have to run towards it ignoring all other humans, and chase the ball yelling SHINY(this is probably the most fun and use super human we have kept, zombies seems to love the yell shiny aspect of it).
    Engineer*- can build small barriers that zombies can not go through, our idea is they are made of PVC that only the engineer has to carry and assemble. this should equalize him due to build time and its kind of awesome haha

What are yalls thoughts on these and any ideas for new ones?
Also specificlly my school has a larger game of about 250 players normally

But... I just want to hunt Zombies!!!
Metro

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 12:27:09 AM »

Infector Mutation: Zombies with a melee extension (foam sword or pool noodle) to help them infect Humans.

Tank/Shield Mutation:
Zombies with a shield to allow them to block darts without being stunned.

Spawner/Broodmother/ Lich Mutation: Zombies who can respawn other Zombies.

Streamer/Sweeper Mutation:
Zombie with a roll of streamer that Zombifies any Human that touches it. They can either hold between two Zombies or tie to trees and buildings to set up ambushes.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 12:28:46 AM by Metro » Logged
Kato
* Game Organizer

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 09:32:25 AM »

How did the Spawner/Broodmother/Lich Mutation work in game and how was it moderated?

Hardware
* Game Organizer

Vanguard Squad Armorer

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 10:26:23 PM »

Our last game involved a few special zombie classes, based off Left 4 Dead. In order to be unlocked, each zombie would have to make a certain number of tags. Each zombie class had a different color bandanna so they were distinctive.

Boomer(3 tags): Carried a traffic cone with a 2 minute timer. Couldn't tag, but if he was shot, he became a stationary 2-minute respawn point. Was a very annoying shield for the rest of the zombies.

Tank(6 tags): Completely invulnerable, but could not run. (Definition of "not running:" one foot on the ground at all times)

Spitter(9 tags): Carried special colored socks to tag from a distance.

It went so well for the zombies we had to make a special human class, the neutralizer. He would stun/neutralize a special zombie, lowering it back to standard shambler.
The Grenadier and Engineer classes sound awesome, I'm bringing it up in the next meeting.

Loadout:
9.6v Rayven on shoulder sling w/35 drum and mounted Polaroid sports action video camera
12v Swarmpistol
Sock bandolier and dart pouch, Triad
A lot of stupidity

Building stuff is the most fun part of HvZ.
Metro

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 02:31:54 AM »

How did the Spawner/Broodmother/Lich Mutation work in game and how was it moderated?

Depended on what rules we were running. Mostly we run shorter day long events in Public Parks and weekend long events at Campsites. In the past we used respawn points so the Mutation functioned as a mobile respawn point which is very powerful. Now we have moved to a 20 second stun timer where Zombies can't move so the Mutated Zombie has to come up and tag the stunned Zombie to respawn them which is less powerful.

We have been 30-75 players with 15-20 administrators and moderators so we don't have an issue with policing.
Kato
* Game Organizer

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 10:16:29 AM »

It went so well for the zombies we had to make a special human class, the neutralizer. He would stun/neutralize a special zombie, lowering it back to standard shambler.
The Grenadier and Engineer classes sound awesome, I'm bringing it up in the next meeting.

The Grenadier worked really well like i said before, for that specific use we allowed them to either run with it or it can be thrown.

Engineer- me and the other mods just finished really fleshing that one out i have made a PVC wall from home depot that was only 25$ but it was 6.5" long and 4.5" tall. when dissembled it can all be carried in a drawstring bag, i have pictures if you would like to see. also we decided to make it two tiers, tier1 would be more of a fence allowing zombies to tag through it and humans to shoot through it, tier2 is more of a wall, the PVC with some sort of sheet hung over it. also the build time for it, is kind of long about 1:30 min, but we decided to see how that would work. it should make things more interesting.

KreeWest1313

100% not Legit Rapidpistol

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 02:24:14 PM »

The engineer might lead to problems. A group of humans might fence themselves off. Maybe to balance it, a zed that can deconstruct the engineer's buildings. Also, the simpler things are the better they will work. Any of the more complicated ones will lead to cheating if you don't have a really honorable group.

Edit
Here are some ideas I came up with, they aren't field tested but they should work in theory.

Statue: While standing still (must not have moved feet for at least 1 sec) cannot be stunned but cannot tag.
Swarmer: While standing still (yes this is a common mechanic) acts as a respawn point.
Spitter: While standing still may use a weak blaster (reflex, scout, ect) to tag humans. This one may need some other restriction on when it can use its blaster.
Toxic: Carries a hoop, can throw it down to create an area that tags humans who walk across.
Kraken: Using Velcro straps and half length pool noodles this zed has 8 short pool noodles strapped to its body. Contact with the noodle counts as a tag. A dart or sock that hits a noodle does not stun.
Crawler: When stunned may instead be restricted to 'crawling' (have both feet on the ground at all times) for the stun duration.
Stalker: Can wear the bandana on its arm, but if it is it cannot tag. (it can infiltrate a group, switch its bandana to its head, and hopre for some tags)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 02:11:48 PM by KreeWest1313 » Logged

Loadout
Primary: Rapid Strike/Modded Raider
Secondary: Stongarm
Tertiary: Blowgun and socks
Kato
* Game Organizer

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 09:03:09 AM »

Well the cool thing about the engineer that we discussed, is to give the humans that ability to fence themselves off, but we are controlling the amount of fences in game through a MOD character who is gonna be a Trader and there will only be one engineer for the trial run with the game. Also one of the Super Zombies is a Ranged unit that we use regularly called a smoker who can shoot silly string over these fences and and gain tags would be the equalizer in that instance

Where we play, allows us to play starting Sunday night after our meeting to Saturday with the Final Stand. I would also like to give them a chance to create some sort of Fort system. Since our humans are normally massacred every semester

Kato
* Game Organizer

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 08:42:30 AM »

So who ever is formilar with Doctor Who. I want to create a Weeping Angel Super Zombie. Im not sure how the mechanics would work, but i have got a general idea i think

Weeping Angel-
   Has some sort of Wings to identify
   Cannot move when wearing a grey sweater but is invulnerable
   When not wearing the grey sweater they can only be killed by a thrown sock

Any thoughts or critics?

I am also not sure how to implement the when seen turns to stone? Maybe Humans have to call out Weeping Angel? or something and that freezes them? 

Zombona

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 08:53:14 AM »

We had a weeping angel in our game before.
She wore a white dress so was easy to spot and she could only run for a certain length of time before she had to stop for a certain length of time. She also had to remain stationary until she saw a human. She was also invulnerable to everything.
So kind of like a witch but with a timer on how long they could move. In our game witches are invincible and don't take breaks until they tag someone.

I do so love my OJ Stryfe.
Kato
* Game Organizer

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 10:58:27 AM »

Okay cool, I like the run timers, how much did you have to worry about her not moving when she say a human?

How did it impact the game? Zombies and Humans, did people complain? ect.

Zombona

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 01:25:57 PM »

Whether or not you worried depended on how well you could run and if you saw her first.
As long as you could say out of arms reach for at most a minute (you could extend that timer) then you were ok. Then you had about a minute to get back out of eyesight. We have mods playing as our special zombies (I have never seen specials abused in the games I play.)
We have short evening games so over the course of like 4-5 hours she only got 2-3 tags (our games are less than 50 people).
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 01:49:58 PM by Zombona » Logged

Catastrophe
* Game Organizer

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 03:05:47 AM »

I would also suggest an identifiable hat/head covering or maybe a vest - something that would be easier to put on and take off during all of the action. A sweater might be awkward to take off quickly, and lagging on information for humans can be really frustrating.

Lindenwood University, St. Charles, MO
Game Administrator Spring '12 - Spring '13
Game Moderator Fall '13 - Fall '14 (semi-retired)
Zombona

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 06:26:28 AM »

In Dr. Who Weeping Angels don't put on hats or sweaters when the move, they just do. I don't see the need for a hat. If they are moving then they are active, if they are not moving then they are not active or have not seen you yet.

Kato
* Game Organizer

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 08:33:58 AM »

I would also suggest an identifiable hat/head covering or maybe a vest - something that would be easier to put on and take off during all of the action. A sweater might be awkward to take off quickly, and lagging on information for humans can be really frustrating.

Are you talking for the Weaping Angel? or on of the other supers like the Witch?

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.