November 17, 2017, 09:04:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Webpage Redesign  (Read 4505 times)
Ross_Varn
* Game Organizer

Page of Bluff

« on: August 16, 2014, 07:12:59 PM »

First off- woah! That leading art piece is sweet. Who's the artist?

I'm going to miss the old chibi zombies, but the design of this page is very well laid out. (The D-Bag clause is cut off though! Fix it immediately!) It'll certainly be a good place to point people who need a quick, shiny explanation of the game.

I do kind of feel like something's lost with the navigation bar being eliminated- namely, access to the forums. That could significantly cut into this community's relevance to the overall game. Something to keep in mind.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 08:06:23 AM by Sklover » Logged

Lindenwood University - St. Charles MO
Loadout: Agile Wit
CybranWarrior22
* Game Organizer

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 07:53:47 PM »

Woah! when did this happen?! i was literally on it a day ago when it was normal!

also, its a 50/50 for me, its awesome, but its hard to navigate  Sad

Edit: also, one thing i noticed (could just be my computer, tell me if you have the same issue) is that the HVZ zombie logo at the top of the forums is not there...are they going to change it??

Edit: Sklover here - Oversite in my part. I just re-uploaded the forum logo.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 10:30:13 AM by Sklover » Logged

My HvZ loadout:
Primary: Stryfe (orange) w/ MEGA Magnus masterkey, raider stock, 18 mag & sling. locks + dart checker removed

Secondary: hammershot

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
in case your wondering the meaning  of my name:
http://supcom2.wikia.com/wiki/Cybran_Nation
torukmakto4

DANGER - Stored Energy

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 09:34:25 PM »

That's cool, particularly that art (anyone catch 2 humans shooting from a tree?), but I am not really a fan of the approach. Humansvszombies.org needs to be an accessible frontpage that makes classical hypertext sense and at least from my end, it's a bit... not so. In particular, font sizes as rendered by multiple browsers I have are OTT huge, it's visually quite blasting and disconcerting and there is no immediate navigation link area. When you go there you don't feel like you see everything in plain view. It's just my opinion and I am ultra conservative about web design and how the HTTPverse is supposed to work (like a document or a terminal session, although it can look nice if it wants to) but I think we can all agree, any sort of barrier to the easy use of this page is bad.

Seconded on the forum link.

CT-2406
Quartermaster of the Florida 501st

You are now entering The Dart Zone
CybranWarrior22
* Game Organizer

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 01:38:30 AM »

particularly that art (anyone catch 2 humans shooting from a tree?)

or the sock vendor  Grin

but yeah, theres not even links to all the stuff (forums, etc.). its not that newbie-friendly anymore Undecided

but it is good to see HVZ growing and improving.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 01:47:32 AM by CybranWarrior22 » Logged

My HvZ loadout:
Primary: Stryfe (orange) w/ MEGA Magnus masterkey, raider stock, 18 mag & sling. locks + dart checker removed

Katyusha

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 02:32:20 AM »

Yeesh, this site is awful.  At the very least there needs to be some sort of table of contents with links to the various sections so you don't have to scroll all the way down through the nifty-looking-but-pain-in-the-ass-to-scroll-through walls of text in order to get to, say, the rules section.  The old site was vastly superior in terms of its overall layout.  It looks like the designer tried way too hard to be artsy and completely forgot that this is an actual website that is used by real people who want to find specific pages or information.

"Sir, how many darts does this blaster fire per second?"

"all of them"
Lordmonocrona
* Game Organizer

Check out my blog: thenerfviewpoint.wordpress.com

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 07:27:14 AM »

Looks like unless we start word of mouth marketing this forum, ita gonna become home to the elite of HvZ.

Check out my Blog!
http://thernerfview.blogspot.com/
"This class is boring, can we learn about dragons?"
Sklover
* Administrator

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 08:06:33 AM »

Kellan Jett is our new illustrator. He really is badadss! I'm glad that some of you like it (and it's ok that some don't).  I'll pass this feedback onto the rest of the crew.

We really wanted to turn the page into a microsite and did a complete re-branding. The Gnarwhal Studios site  got a face lift as well Smiley. We're in the process of ramping up for the kickstarter of our new game Slap. 45. Oh, and we didn't mean to cut off the dbag clause. We're fixing a bug there.

The homepage got a facelift.

First off- woah! That leading art piece is sweet. Who's the artist?

I'm going to miss the old chibi zombies, but the design of this page is very well laid out. (The D-Bag clause is cut off though! Fix it immediately!) It'll certainly be a good place to point people who need a quick, shiny explanation of the game.

I do kind of feel like something's lost with the navigation bar being eliminated- namely, access to the forums. That could significantly cut into this community's relevance to the overall game. Something to keep in mind.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 10:27:43 AM by Sklover » Logged

Loading Please Wait...
CybranWarrior22
* Game Organizer

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 05:07:43 PM »

The Gnarwhal Studios site  got a face lift as well

speaking of gnarwhal studios, did Stranded ever get off the ground?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 05:18:08 PM by CybranWarrior22 » Logged

My HvZ loadout:

Cweed
* Administrator

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 05:22:46 PM »

speaking of gnarwhal studios, did Stranded ever get off the ground?

No. We gave up on it a little over a year ago. It was a pretty difficult time for us, coming to the realization that the game we'd been working on for so long just wasn't any good. We had a pretty terrible and emotional meetup in Chicago where we tried to turn it into something we liked and failed. It was rough, but we tried to figure out what we'd done wrong and what we could do to avoid those problems in the future. We started developing Slap .45 essentially out of the ashes of Stranded. I attribute a lot of its (mostly private so far, but no less real to me) success on what we learned from struggling with Stranded. A good example of what I mean is: actually having a core mechanic we find fun on its own, and being able to build on top of that. I am VERY proud of Slap, regardless of how the KS goes.
CybranWarrior22
* Game Organizer

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 05:25:48 PM »

No. We gave up on it a little over a year ago

ah, would have been interesting.

We started developing Slap .45

yeah, cant wait for that!  Cheesy going to be a backer soon  Wink

My HvZ loadout:

MJC2605

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 04:03:18 AM »

I do find it slightly clumsy to navigate around without have quick links to rules and stuff instead of scrolling continously down until i find what i need.

Also has merch gone for good or am I being a bit daft?

FXU Zombie Society Interim Chairman/Moderator 14/15
Top Zombie Spring 13 weeklong
Primary -Slaughterhouse Stampede (6KG spring ,AR delete,LifePo4 battery and custom paint job )
Secondary/outside of missions - Hammershot in BSUK MK4 Holster or Strongarm.
Sklover
* Administrator

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 07:35:10 AM »

I do find it slightly clumsy to navigate around without have quick links to rules and stuff instead of scrolling continously down until i find what i need.

Also has merch gone for good or am I being a bit daft?

We're still figuring out how we're going to handle merch. Right now, there is a crappy merch page on http://humansvszombies.org/merch.

Loading Please Wait...
Catastrophe
* Game Organizer

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 02:13:17 PM »

For someone who has no clue about the site but hears something about it and comes to the page, it's great. The biggest issue is 'Where do I go from here?' and it doesn't seem very obvious, except the HvZSource site. I'd suggest a small dropdown menu in the top left/right corner that had all of the previous navigation links. Maybe even a click tab (you click it, and a pop-out menu appears; click again, and it vanishes except for that tab to open it again) that moves with you as you move the page, and has the links on it available no matter where you are on the page.

Really digging the art and the new logo though.

Lindenwood University, St. Charles, MO
Game Administrator Spring '12 - Spring '13
Game Moderator Fall '13 - Fall '14 (semi-retired)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.