July 25, 2017, 12:51:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for Day Mission Objective Ideas That Don't Require a Mod  (Read 4680 times)
Catastrophe
* Game Organizer

« on: September 07, 2014, 02:19:10 AM »

Last semester, we introduced Day Missions and the response from the players was overwhelmingly positive. The biggest point of feedback we received was that missions with no specific time table were preferred, as it gave players a chance to complete them on their own time, instead of having to miss out due to class or work.

In order to do that, we need to have objectives that don't require a moderator to be involved directly. There are 7 of us, but we each have our own schedules as well as having a Shop we staff for 2 hours a day (1-2, 6-7 pm). So I'm looking for ideas for a day mission that could be done but not require a moderator to watch an item.

We're planning on bringing back hidden dossiers for the first day of the game (they're taped up in various areas of the campus, to be as hidden as possible). I'm also toying with the idea of requiring players to take a picture of themselves at various landmarks around campus while wearing their bandana (although this mission is much easier for Zombies than it is Humans). They could then show the pictures on their phone to a mod if they run into one randomly around campus, or at the shop (or, if all else fails, before the mission that evening).

Anyone else have any ideas for an objective that could be done without a mod's presence? Don't worry about coming up with rewards for them - we're planning on utilizing tokens (shop currency) for that. We're just trying to fill out 4 days worth of day mission ideas (Mon-Fri game, final mission is run in the afternoon).

Lindenwood University, St. Charles, MO
Game Administrator Spring '12 - Spring '13
Game Moderator Fall '13 - Fall '14 (semi-retired)
Zombona

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 09:46:00 AM »

Just a few off the top of my head.

• Touch x number of [numerous object on campus] (EX: fire hydrant)
  • Collect x different types of leaves or other abundant natural object
  • Have a pacifist mission where they have to wait at a certain point for x minutes without firing their blaster (Maybe an area with a few okay hiding spots)
  • Take pictures of various landmarks around the campus.

I do so love my OJ Stryfe.
Masturcief42

lol I'm teh mastur cief!

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 01:58:06 PM »

I'm giving you a bunch of random ideas, feel free to reject all of them.

As you said, scattered items that they have to collect is a good idea. As for the pictures mission, I would recommend that people email the photo into a email address you have set up. Almost everyone has smartphones these days so that should be okay (if they don't have a smart phone they can just show it to you). With email the players don't need to find a mod for confirmation and you have records of who sent in pictures.
I know that this may not meet your criteria for a day mission, but you could make the shop into a control point, (with a safezone directly at the store and the control point around it or something like that). That way you have mods in place at the objective.
You could have Sudoko (or however it's spelled) puzzles scattered around that must be solved by whichever team you so desire.

Go save lives, donate blood.
Catastrophe
* Game Organizer

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 03:26:28 AM »

• Touch x number of [numerous object on campus] (EX: fire hydrant)
  • Have a pacifist mission where they have to wait at a certain point for x minutes without firing their blaster (Maybe an area with a few okay hiding spots)
Not bad ideas, but there's no way to verify that the players actually did these things. The idea is that its an open, do when you feel like it type mission each day - and trying to have a mod be present for an entire day isn't practical.

As you said, scattered items that they have to collect is a good idea. As for the pictures mission, I would recommend that people email the photo into a email address you have set up. Almost everyone has smartphones these days so that should be okay (if they don't have a smart phone they can just show it to you). With email the players don't need to find a mod for confirmation and you have records of who sent in pictures.
Nice idea, although it then adds an extra bit of paperwork for "Who is still owed tokens for completing the day objective?" Sure, we'd have a running list anyways (not that I'd think our players would abuse it), but I'd prefer to avoid owing players tokens.

I know that this may not meet your criteria for a day mission, but you could make the shop into a control point, (with a safezone directly at the store and the control point around it or something like that). That way you have mods in place at the objective.
You could have Sudoko (or however it's spelled) puzzles scattered around that must be solved by whichever team you so desire.
As it stands, the shop is open for both sides to purchase upgrades, and already sees a lot of action (which is why its stationed in a building with multiple entrances and exits). Starting on Wednesday, its actually a big risk to make a trip to the shop as a Human. It also goes against the original idea of having missions that don't have a set time they're available to complete.

I've also thought of having something puzzle-based, and it would be available to the first x players to complete it. Just not sure how exactly the puzzles would be displayed or where they would be placed at.

Thanks for the ideas guys - I do appreciate them.

Zombona

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 12:10:56 PM »

Not bad ideas, but there's no way to verify that the players actually did these things. The idea is that its an open, do when you feel like it type mission each day - and trying to have a mod be present for an entire day isn't practical.

We do these missions unmodderated. At my school most of our missions are honor missions such as these. Our games last about 6 hours however so the entire game is doing little missions like that and completing lists.

I do so love my OJ Stryfe.
Walljack47

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 02:03:58 PM »

One thing we did with hidden objects mission was we put a code on the objects. To actually complete the mission, players had to report, in correct order an 9 digit code, via Facebook, email or phone. The trick was that each object only had 5 of the needed 9 digits. Some digit sets of the code where 'common' some where less, and the set with the middle digits was the hardest to find and only one of them was made. If forced different groups of humans to work together. Now, during this was the same game we had a 'hidden' human faction in the game, that players new it existed but not the identities of them. They where told if they got the code to publicly report the code with the last digit different. This resulted in everyone else only getting part of the 'radio instructions' for the next mission.
We also did a lot of take your picture here type things, but spiced them up, like while still actively playing take a pic of yourself in a bikini at this location (as a disclaimer that was thought up by female mods, and the most of the people who completed that was guys) , a pic of you eat a pudding snack cup at that location, use the rocks at this location to write a message, then take a selfie of yourself with the message.
We also talked about doing one where humans and the zombies would be competing. We put an object out in the campus, told the zombies to have in position x, the humans positions y, and who ever had it in that spot at 10 at night would get the perks.i guess you do need a mod for this one, but only for a minute or two to check at your given time who won. If it was in neither or in transit, no one won.
Catastrophe
* Game Organizer

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 12:13:10 AM »

One thing we did with hidden objects mission was we put a code on the objects. To actually complete the mission, players had to report, in correct order an 9 digit code, via Facebook, email or phone. The trick was that each object only had 5 of the needed 9 digits. Some digit sets of the code where 'common' some where less, and the set with the middle digits was the hardest to find and only one of them was made. If forced different groups of humans to work together. Now, during this was the same game we had a 'hidden' human faction in the game, that players new it existed but not the identities of them. They where told if they got the code to publicly report the code with the last digit different. This resulted in everyone else only getting part of the 'radio instructions' for the next mission.
I'm a little confused. You had a 9 digit code with 3 parts put on different objects, but each object only had 5 digits...? The other issue with this one is that it doesn't prevent multiple players from taking advantage of one player solving it, which is something I'd like to avoid.

We also did a lot of take your picture here type things, but spiced them up, like while still actively playing take a pic of yourself in a bikini at this location (as a disclaimer that was thought up by female mods, and the most of the people who completed that was guys), a pic of you eat a pudding snack cup at that location, use the rocks at this location to write a message, then take a selfie of yourself with the message.

Hilarious, and depending on the player base, I'd assume expected. I like expanding the idea to include doing things - might actually do that (although probably not the bikini-portion).

We also talked about doing one where humans and the zombies would be competing. We put an object out in the campus, told the zombies to have in position x, the humans positions y, and who ever had it in that spot at 10 at night would get the perks.i guess you do need a mod for this one, but only for a minute or two to check at your given time who won. If it was in neither or in transit, no one won.
Also an interesting idea. Any suggestions for what the object would be? Ideally it would be something big and obvious, but at the same time you risk non-players interfering/stealing it.

Thanks for the ideas.

Walljack47

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 03:20:59 AM »

To clarify,if the code was 123456789 ( it wasn't ), a lot of the objects would have set A (12345), a few would have set B (56789) and the hardest one to find would have  set C (34567), so if you were told its nine digits, and only got multiples of set A,  just set A and C, the players couldn't complete the code. It would be possible if they got set A and set B, but it would be harder. Set A B and C however would make it very easy to solve. And while yes, one player could complete this by her or him selves, it would be very difficult. We also hid them with varying degrees of difficulty, and in varying levels of Zombie activity ( we had some areas in the game that only the brave, foolish or most prepared humans would venture into due to how many Zed heads would lurk there). The players where only told it was a nine digit non repeating code.
 Part of the problem we had was figuring out what a good object would be, because we wanted it to be noticeable for players to KNOW it was the object ( like a giant stuff animal), but be not be enticing for non players to steal, or non conspicuous that non players wouldn't want to take it, but also people wouldn't see it and think it might be an actual planted bomb or something ( like a backpack or brief case left unattended ). Now I know that last part seems crazy, but we where playing in a post 9/11 American state collage. We had had problems enough with non players over reacting to just the blasters, and given some of the shooting that had happened, I couldn't  totally blame them, but such as it was.maybe you can succeed where we failed and figure out a decent middle ground.
TheSilverhead
* Game Organizer

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 11:06:29 AM »

We did the whole 'take pictures in front of landmarks' mission. It was a big hit- and we got some great promotional pictures out of it. Our players had to 'rescue' a VIP (cardboard cutout) and give him a tour of campus, with a picture of players and the VIP in front of 10 buildings. Just have them text/email the pictures to you for proof. Though, the zombies stole the VIP and did their own tour.

Youtube Home to FoamTech, the Nerf science series!
Primary: Extreme Pro 180 motor Rapidstrike, 2S lipo, 4S for foam ropes, underslung Titan.
Secondary: Sanguine (WIP)
Catastrophe
* Game Organizer

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 12:05:43 AM »

To clarify,if the code was 123456789 ( it wasn't ), a lot of the objects would have set A (12345), a few would have set B (56789) and the hardest one to find would have  set C (34567), so if you were told its nine digits, and only got multiples of set A,  just set A and C, the players couldn't complete the code. It would be possible if they got set A and set B, but it would be harder. Set A B and C however would make it very easy to solve. And while yes, one player could complete this by her or him selves, it would be very difficult. We also hid them with varying degrees of difficulty, and in varying levels of Zombie activity ( we had some areas in the game that only the brave, foolish or most prepared humans would venture into due to how many Zed heads would lurk there). The players where only told it was a nine digit non repeating code.
See, that's where I'm unclear. If I found set A and set B, knowing I have 12345 and 56789 (one number overlap) and know that its non-repeating and 9 digits, then I just remove the middle one and done. Unless the idea that without the final set, there's 3 possibilities:

Is that the idea?

Part of the problem we had was figuring out what a good object would be, because we wanted it to be noticeable for players to KNOW it was the object ( like a giant stuff animal), but be not be enticing for non players to steal, or non conspicuous that non players wouldn't want to take it, but also people wouldn't see it and think it might be an actual planted bomb or something ( like a backpack or brief case left unattended ). Now I know that last part seems crazy, but we where playing in a post 9/11 American state collage. We had had problems enough with non players over reacting to just the blasters, and given some of the shooting that had happened, I couldn't  totally blame them, but such as it was.maybe you can succeed where we failed and figure out a decent middle ground.
Clearly I just add a GPS tracking chip somewhere on the object, right? Tongue Seriously though, I'm thinking a decorated trashbag full of newspaper might do the job - similar to those pumpkin ones that crop up every halloween. I'll keep thinking on it though.

@TheSilverhead - Hilarious. I like the idea, but it prevents multiple groups from doing it at the same time. We might do paper-versions of a similar thing though. Thanks for the addition.

Mzzkc
* Game Organizer

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 04:12:54 PM »

Off the top of my head:

Scouting Mission: Players go to an area and stay there for XX minutes. Enforce the location/timer and add flavor by requiring players to record a video of the event. Multiple locations can be open during the day, and players/groups can complete more than one for extra rewards or what have you. Once verified by moderator, tokens are credited accordingly.

Resupply Mission: Hide (mid-to-hard) a bunch of marked supplies (canned goods, ammo boxes, blankets, etc.) around campus and designate 2 or 3 clandestine drop-off locations where players can drop off anything they find throughout the day. For verification, tag each item and each drop-off location with an alphanumeric sequence. Players will send this info to the mods, and at the end of the day will be credited tokens at the store when all items are collected.

Electrical Repair Mission: Put X number of breadboards around campus with supplies hidden (easy-to-mid) nearby that players can use to complete a circuit to turn on a light, run a motor, or w/e else you wanna do. After completion, they take a picture/video of the finished product working and send it to the mods. Alternatively: Seed the hidden supply drops with extra components. Then, once the humans complete the mission as per normal, they can then hide the breadboard in the area. Zombie players may "destroy" the breadboards throughout the day if they are able to find it. The humans can then repair it, and so on and so forth, until they completely run out of supplies. Note: Alternate version will require a bit of balancing and tweaks.

Scavenger Hunt: Clues lead to more clues lead to more clues and so on. Lots of room for creativity here.

"Hidden Immunity" Medkit: Something my SO came up and implemented awhile back. During night missions, certain players have the opportunity to receive clues to the location of a hidden Medkit (one-time-use get-out-of-death-free card). This medkit is usually extremely well hidden (literally buried under a bush/rock/log, in the knot of a tree, building drainage pipe, etc.). Players can search for the medkit on their own time and the clues get more and more specific the longer the game goes. Basically the same as the hidden immunity idol from survivor.
Mzzkc
* Game Organizer

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 04:15:19 PM »

Off the top of my head:

Scouting Mission: Players go to an area and stay there for XX minutes. Enforce the location/timer and add flavor by requiring players to record a video of the event. Multiple locations can be open during the day, and players/groups can complete more than one for extra rewards or what have you. Once verified by moderator, tokens are credited accordingly.

Resupply Mission: Hide (mid-to-hard) a bunch of marked supplies (canned goods, ammo boxes, blankets, etc.) around campus and designate 2 or 3 clandestine drop-off locations where players can drop off anything they find throughout the day. For verification, tag each item and each drop-off location with an alphanumeric sequence. Players will send this info to the mods, and at the end of the day will be credited tokens at the store when all items are collected.

Electrical Repair Mission: Put X number of breadboards around campus with supplies hidden (easy-to-mid) nearby that players can use to complete a circuit to turn on a light, run a motor, or w/e else you wanna do. After completion, they take a picture/video of the finished product working and send it to the mods. Alternatively: Seed the hidden supply drops with extra components. Then, once the humans complete the mission as per normal, they can then hide the breadboard in the area. Zombie players may "destroy" the breadboards throughout the day if they are able to find it. The humans can then repair it, and so on and so forth, until they completely run out of supplies. Note: Alternate version will require a bit of balancing and tweaks.

Scavenger Hunt: Clues lead to more clues lead to more clues and so on. Lots of room for creativity here.

"Hidden Immunity" Medkit: Something my SO came up and implemented awhile back. During night missions, certain players have the opportunity to receive clues to the location of a hidden Medkit (one-time-use get-out-of-death-free card). This medkit is usually extremely well hidden (literally buried under a bush/rock/log, in the knot of a tree, building drainage pipe, etc.). Players can search for the medkit on their own time and the clues get more and more specific the longer the game goes. Basically the same as the hidden immunity idol from survivor.
Catastrophe
* Game Organizer

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 03:23:07 AM »

We managed to successfully run this day mission using an orange storage bin and marking Humans vs. Zombies/HvZ on all sides as well as on top of the lid. It ended up being stashed away for a couple of hours at a time, but the humans ultimately found where the zombies hid it last and hung onto it for the last hour and a half the day mission ran. It was open from 10:30 AM until 7 PM. We ran this mission on Tuesday during a Monday-Friday game with about 140 players.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.