March 28, 2017, 08:00:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Humans vs. Zombies: Hijacked - A licensed HvZ Novel.  (Read 3372 times)
Jesse Abram
* Forum Moderator

~I am my own hero.~

« on: September 19, 2014, 03:13:22 AM »

Greetings HvZ Collective,

I wrote a book.  It's about Humans vs. Zombies. Go figure, huh?  It's a licensed product, so totally on the up-and-up with Gnarwhal Studios, before you worry yourself like I know I would.  It only took me four years. :-)

It's called Humans vs Zombies: Hijacked.  It's well-written, fully-edited for spelling and grammar, and the plot has no holes (maybe a loose end or two, but hey, sequel options).  Whether it's actually any good, I don't know for sure, though I think it must be because I was able to read it all over again once I got it in book form, in spite of having read it a few dozen times while writing it.  My wife (biased? only maybe) who doesn't read action-adventure was able to read it and proclaim it "good."

It's available from CreateSpace https://www.createspace.com/4970730

It's on Amazon: http://amzn.com/150105774X

It's even in Kindle Format: http://amzn.com/B00NO5H89Y

What's it about, exactly?  Well, here:

Humans vs. Zombies is underway again this fall at Eureka State University. The game Moderators have promised new elements for this year’s live-action game of zombie-themed tag, and the five-member squad known as the Family is ready for the challenge. This semester's game has a corporate sponsor, Maxx Corporation, providing a new line of foam dart weaponry set to compete with Hasbro's NERF line, raising excitement to new levels.

But when the Maxx Corp dart blasters are distributed, the weapons turn out to be lethal and zombie players are shot dead. The shock is quickly overshadowed by the next revelation. The dead students are getting back up and continuing to play with the single-minded determination of the undead.

The Family faces down horror after horror as the week progresses. An oddly matched group, tensions flare and hearts break as the pressure reveals each member’s true character. A campus battleground under zombie invasion is the worst place to worry about relationships, but if not now, there may never be another chance.

The rules are binding and the game is in motion. All the Family can do is play on.

It's always been an honor to enjoy this great game with all of you.  I hope you take a look at the book.  I realize, only now, that writing a book with a target audience of cash-strapped college students may have been a silly endeavor as far as profits go. :-P This probably isn't going to take care of my current unemployment. Oh well.  :-)

Cheers!

Jesse Abram (Riggs)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 10:20:57 AM by Jesse Abram » Logged

The NoFreakin' Way - www.nofreakinway.weebly.com
Mzzkc
* Game Organizer

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 03:04:20 PM »

Love the premise!

Will put it in my queue and get back to ya once I've read it. ^.^
Jesse Abram
* Forum Moderator

~I am my own hero.~

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 05:44:27 PM »

I hope you do!

Mzzkc
* Game Organizer

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 03:56:44 PM »

Have finished. Enjoyed it quite a bit (refreshing break from my Sanderson binge). Will leave a more detailed review on Amazon.

But to all reading this thread: I'd recommend picking it up. Definitely a fun read that any HvZ player can appreciate.
statensisland

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 01:48:06 PM »

Very Very Cool! I haven't yet read the book, but I have just become a member of this forum and saw this post that peaked my interest. I am a fellow author, but this is going to be my new reading priority! Did you self publish? I have had a few short stories for children published and I am currently working on a children's book that is in the sludge pile as we speak. I can relate to your stresses and your aspirations! I hope to be a productive member here. So, with that said...nice to meet you! Check out my author bio.

http://writersunitetofightcancer.org/about/authors/garron-c-staten/
Jesse Abram
* Forum Moderator

~I am my own hero.~

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 02:22:09 PM »

I published through CreateSpace, which is owned by Amazon.  I hope to publish a sequel of some sort eventually, but it might be another four years of writing.

Your book is in the sludge pile?  Like, it needs editing and illustrations and such?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 02:24:53 PM by Jesse Abram » Logged

statensisland

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 06:05:04 PM »

Well, my book is currently being looked at by a publishing company called Headline Press, but I doubt anything comes from it. I would love for it to be published through them, so I was wondering about self publishing it. A local writer here, Michael Knost (The guy that wrote the Moth Man Prophecies) liked my book and sent it to Headline, so I'm hoping to get a reply soon. I'm assuming it's in their sludge pile. I illustrated it with my wife and I have an English degree, so it is pretty error free, but you never know what particular publishing companies want. They like to use their own illustrators, and as far as editing goes, they may not like something I've added. It's a kids book about money (which we call piggy food), not as cool as NERF. I am so anxious to get your book. I may just get it on my Kindle app. By the way, if you'd like to read my story, it's on amazon in digital format as well in an anthology of other stories. The book is called "Courage To Thrive." The story is called "The Kangaroo Flu." I think it's like .99 cents now.

What advice could you give for someone not on a college campus who would like to get a Nerf club or Nerf war going, something like dart tag or capture the flag or HvZ? Is it possible in a small country town with no colleges to even get an interest base?
Jesse Abram
* Forum Moderator

~I am my own hero.~

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 03:34:57 AM »

If you can get together 10 or people you can play some form of HvZ.  The trick is balancing stun timers and play area with mission difficulty to the give the zombies the opportunities to make takes.  If you have a church building or a school you can use, set it up with a couple starter zombie hiding in the building, and randomly select an Original Zombies (disguised as human) so that the humans can't trust each other.  Then have them search the building for "Keys" so they can escape.

Capture the Flag, or simple NERF tag Team Slayer are can be done with any number of people above 2, technically, 4 for best results.

If you purchased the print format of my book, you get the kindle version for free, so you can start reading right away.

Courage to Thrive and The Kangaroo Flue sounds good, I'll have to check it out, maybe get it for my little cousins.  They love to read.

Looks like Knost has some pretty creepy books out.  HvZ:Hijacked is somewhat more action-oriented than creepy, but it has it's moments.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.