November 20, 2017, 01:49:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nerf blowgun  (Read 4360 times)
steve4835

« on: April 08, 2015, 01:27:12 AM »

Would there be any good role for a pvc nerf blow gun (for sniping) in a game of HVZ?  My friend insists that it's not necessary.  What's your opinions? Huh

Stephen
11:15pm
I feel like I already know the answer, but I just want to be sure. Are blow guns allowed?

Lane
11:51pm
What's a blow gun

Stephen
11:51pm
Like a peice of pvc.  Put a dart in and blow it out

Lane
11:52pm
...no. If you want a Nerf blow gun, they are purchaseable at dollar tree. But why would you want that? Are they so broke you can't afford a blaster and don't know anyone who has an extra nerf blaster?

Stephen
11:53pm
Why not?? And because the accuracy is fantastic

Lane
11:54pm
Because the game is meant for marshmallow guns and nerf blasters. What's the point?
The accuracy is great if you're still when you blow it. Can you blow a dart while you're running across campus?

Stephen
Also I already have half inch pvc on hand so why would I go buy something

Lane
You have blasters.

Stephen
11:55pm
but their accuracy is horrible

Lane
11:56pm
Right, but you don't need accuracy when you're running from zombies. In fact, spray and pray is encouraged. Just be wary of losing your darts.
It just seems eccentric and unnecessary. And comical. How far away are you gonna be shooting and how small of a target to make the blasters that inaccurate?

Stephen
11:58pm
If the zombies are preparing a charge, I could take some of them out individually at long range and switch to my Stryfe when they close in
I probably wouldn't use it much. But it'd be good to have

Lane
11:59pm
Steve they're stunned for 15 minutes. Spray and pray is always gonna be better than that.

Stephen Daniel
11:59pm
I don't see why you'd ban something just because you deem it unnecessary. But okay

Lane
12:03am
Because I want to make things simpler and avoid loopholes as much as possible
More money, more problems.
More allowances, more problems.
You walking around with pvc looks pretty sketch, too.
Pipe bomb, a club you can use to beat people, etc. nothing like dart launcher comes to mind

Stephen
It doesn't even look like pvc. It's all covered in masking tape

Lane
12:07am
...look, bring it. I'll allow it. You'll probably be the only one

Stephen
12:07am
Thanks Lane.  I appreciate it
Herbert West

Mad scientist

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 06:57:46 AM »

Blowguns can be, and have been, used to great effect in HvZ. They are a niche weapon - specifically, they are a very cheap way to stun zombies at long range that is awkward and potentially teeth-shatteringly unsafe to use at close range. Thus, they are most effective in the hands of highly skilled players and designated marksmen in games where there is not a strong modding presence.

The main advantage of blowguns - range - has been reduced somewhat in recent years due to the increased effective range of stock Nerf blasters. However, I can see them as still being a viable niche weapon. Any blaster or loadout can be made to work in HvZ given the right skills on the player's behalf - there are some people who use only throwing socks, and there are some people who use no weapons at all and rely entirely on their ability to run away to protect themselves.

Technical nitpick: blowguns are not sniper weapons. This is an oft-repeated phrase for a good reason: "there is no sniping in Nerf". Picking off targets at longer range than would normally be possible is not true sniping, unless you do so while concealed or from beyond your target's detection range (i.e. too far away to see).

Quote from: Agatha Heterodyne
A dream merely soothes - but our nightmares make us run!
Cazzums
* Forum Moderator

Graveyard Shift

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 08:19:59 PM »

The main advantage of blowguns - range - has been reduced somewhat in recent years due to the increased effective range of stock Nerf blasters. However, I can see them as still being a viable niche weapon.
I agree with the above short of the blowgun's main advantage not being range, but accuracy. The reason I have incorporated a blowgun into pretty much every loadout of mine since '13 has been because of its ability to conserve ammo by requiring less pot shots. Its the only piece in my arsenal(or anyone that I know for the matter) that can consistently(roughly 80%) make tags 30 yards out. Not to say there aren't well-modded blasters that can't do the same with a much higher and steadier ROF but again, these are 'well-modded'. The best use for a blowgun is either secured onto the top rail of your primary or attached to a sling of some sort for easy carrying.
"Why not to use a blowgun as a primary?":
Blowguns can be(...)awkward and potentially teeth-shatteringly unsafe to use at close range.
That and the fact that 9 out of every 10 people use a blaster that uses mags, so the prevalence of whistler and buzzbee darts are starting to die out. Less people using these types of ammo means theres almost no such thing as scavenging ammo with a blowgun(atleast in my meta I've been noticing).

Overall, I'd say they're still relevant and have a place in games but there are risks that need to be accounted for before deciding to go out and "spittin' dat foam".

"See you space cowboy..."
Primary: Minimized Demolisher
Backup: Socks/3' Blowgun
legoexpo
* Forum Moderator

Destroyer of Worlds

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 02:34:55 PM »

in games where there is not a strong modding presence.

i disagree insanely with this. Because somehow blowguns are destined to blow your mouth out? Anyone who is any amount of intelligent pulls a blowgun out of a mouth instinctively when people charge at you.

I've used a blowgun in my loadout since I started playing in 2009 and it's insanely helpful. Strapped to the top of a primary at 3 or 3.5 ft you can easily and accurately hit a zombie at 40-50 feet away. You have a bunch of zombies grouping up for a charge? You and your squad all with blowguns take shots at the zombies to instantly thin them out. They line up farther away? that's fine too! they're more exhausted after each charge due to the increased distance, PLUS you can still thin them out as they come running at you. Their cohesive charge will be less effective the larger the distance they have to run.

People dont respect blowgun distances enough and I've been to invitationals where I just sit and stun zombies who come within 50 feet of me. We literally changed the meta at a few schools because they see how effective it is. Also spray and pray is NOT what's encouraged. Your blaster is accurate to about 15-20 feet for a center of mass body shot which is all you need to stun a zombie. The key to staying alive and being a good human is to keep moving and not stand still as they are running at you. You have to kite them as much as possible.

Purdue HvZ Administrator
Purdue Off Season Coordinator
Got a question about our game? Email me at [email protected]

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.