April 24, 2017, 07:07:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Becoming an official student organization  (Read 1544 times)
mph0017

« on: May 05, 2015, 05:01:34 PM »

Hey all,

I'm looking for your experiences as organizers, especially in regards to the pros and cons of becoming an official student organization.  My university (Auburn) holds informal week-long HvZ games, but has been having trouble relating with the risk management and public safety departments. That sort of stuff has threads on here, such as banning blasters because they might possibly look like firearms, fear of running over the little 80 year old professor, etc.  We have been compliant and done everything possible to meet their criteria for the most recent game.  We are not able to make headway with these issues, however, because we cannot even get them to meet with us to debrief after our last game (which they said they'd want to do).  We'd prefer to meet with them together, since each claims that the rules they have to enforce (no air powered projectile launchers) are the other department's policy.  But getting them together has proven impossible, even with 5 weeks to schedule ahead, due in part to how long it takes them to email back.  One of the assistants to the VP these departments answers to recommended getting a staff adviser to see those employees into a meeting, or becoming an official group recognized by the Student Government Association.  What are your thoughts?
Justplanefun2
* Game Organizer

Embry-riddle Prescott class of 2018

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 10:24:04 AM »

When I started an HvZ club we got registered.  We are getting a small bit of funding from the school which is nice, but I think it also adds to our credibility and helps the safety office believe that the event is well organized and not a bunch of random people running around with blasters.  If it's not too much trouble, get registered.

As far as dealing with safety goes, perhaps bring a blaster to your next meeting (with permission of course) and show them how harmless it really is (don't bring something like my blade 180 stryfe), a maverick should do.  Once they realize it shoots a soft foam dart at 50-100 fps they'll probably be fine.

Primary: Blade 180 2S Lipo stryfe "Spectre" with 18rd box mags
Secondary: AR and peg removed hammershot "Wingman" holstered
Specials: brassed Panther shotgun pistol made by TheSilverhead, 3-foot blowgun
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.