January 21, 2018, 02:42:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Painting Blaster without Spray Paint?  (Read 2024 times)
Battle Butterfly

« on: August 29, 2014, 03:36:05 PM »

I recently purchased three blasters (Retaliator, Strongarm, and Triad) and I want to repaint them. There's tons of info about how to paint them with spray paint but I'd really rather take a paint brush to it. Does anyone know a good way to go about doing it? I'm assuming sanding still applies, but any specific kind of paint that has worked for others? Would you still need to dissemble it? Et Cetera.. I'd appreciate all the tips I can get!
Hardware
* Game Organizer

Vanguard Squad Armorer

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 08:44:40 PM »

Personally, I really like to use Rust-Oleum paint. Once you sand down the plastic, it bonds excellently whether you're spraying or brushing. As for taking it apart, it's up to you, but I would. It comes out better in my opinion. Still don't know why it works better than plastic paint, though.

Loadout:
9.6v Rayven on shoulder sling w/35 drum and mounted Polaroid sports action video camera
12v Swarmpistol
Sock bandolier and dart pouch, Triad
A lot of stupidity

Building stuff is the most fun part of HvZ.
Masturcief42

lol I'm teh mastur cief!

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 05:28:29 PM »

Paint specifically for plastics work well and I think acrylic does too. Someone here can back me up/deny me on that.

Go save lives, donate blood.
gara101

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 06:29:56 PM »

The citadel paints from games workshop work really well on blasters.  You can buy them at most games stores or at games-workshop.com.  The color names are a little weird because they were meant for fantasy models.  Its still a good idea to take apart the blaster and put a base primer on it.  If you want more info send me a message

Post Merge: June 02, 2015, 11:04:04 PM
The citadel paints from games workshop work really well on blasters.  You can buy them at most games stores or at games-workshop.com.  The color names are a little weird because they were meant for fantasy models.  Its still a good idea to take apart the blaster and put a base primer on it.  If you want more info send me a message
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 11:04:04 PM by gara101 » Logged
Tazok

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 01:40:36 PM »

[imghttp://][/img]

Having hand painted several nerf blasters, I'd recommend spray painting a base coat.  You can hand paint from there with any number of acrylic paints.  The above was painted with acrylic paints from Michael's (mainly Americana paints).

Post Merge: June 04, 2015, 01:45:04 PM
Oh, forgot to mention.  For most blasters, I don't think you need to disassemble most blasters before painting.  I rarely do, mainly because I like to fill in the screw holes with epoxy to make them look more realistic.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 01:45:04 PM by Tazok » Logged
Herbert West

Mad scientist

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 05:01:31 PM »

For most blasters, I don't think you need to disassemble most blasters before painting.  I rarely do, mainly because I like to fill in the screw holes with epoxy to make them look more realistic.

While you don't need to dissemble a blaster, it's easier to get good results if you do. Being able to see the original plastic colour in the gaps where the internals of the blaster are visible can make an otherwise great paintjob look very bad, and disassembling it allows you to get paint into all of the relevant nooks and crannies while not also getting paint all over the internals, which impairs their function.

Filling in screw ports with epoxy makes it practically impossible to ever open that blaster, which makes it impossible to repair or upgrade that blaster. This might be a good tradeoff if you primarily want a wallpeice or really value looks and don't mind getting an entire new blaster if something breaks or wears out.

Quote from: Agatha Heterodyne
A dream merely soothes - but our nightmares make us run!
Tazok

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 09:16:52 AM »

Like most things, there's not a right way to paint blasters, just preferences.  Personally I'd mod the inside of a blaster before I painted it, but I agree some blasters might need to be disassembled to get the best possible paint job.  For most, however, this is not necessary.  Maybe I've just been lucky, but the failure rate on my blasters has been extremely low.  In fact the only broken blaster I've personally encountered is a scout pistol.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 01:36:14 PM by Tazok » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.