November 18, 2017, 09:58:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting a game in Colorado Springs  (Read 1758 times)
Felixnfawkes

« on: July 31, 2015, 04:01:41 AM »

Howdy yall, I've got a rather unique issue. I desperately want an HVZ game out here but I'm about 98% certain that my community college isn't a good place to play and there doesn't seem to be an existing open game out here. So I've been reading the game how too's and choosing the variations I think will be fun and fair. Now here comes the issue: where to play and how to make it happen. Now I've found an unused office building and have a number to call and inquire about the building and surrounding area. The question become how to cover the rent if required? I've given some thought to sponsors as we've got two nerf areas out here and even given thought to seeing about setting up some training/ tutorials/ classes to help replace the classes that a normal game at a college has.

Now HVZ has the rule that we not charge for the game if we want to use the premade website that tracks everything. As I suck at writing software or coding I am VERY keen on using the easy premade website. But I highly doubt that renting a building is cheap. So hence the conundrum. Id like to run a weekend game, hopefully at the aforementioned office building but I haven't the foggiest on how to afford it. Would the copyright holders have an issue with crowd funding? Anybody have any options?
Zombona

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 09:18:20 AM »

Keep it simple. If you have to pay for a venue you should probably avoid it. Play at a local park. The game is played with socks, marshmallows, and nerf guns. Not exactly dangerous stuff that you need to shield the public from.
It would be a good idea to give the local PD a heads before you play.

I do so love my OJ Stryfe.
Felixnfawkes

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 03:51:33 AM »

I'm not 100% that I would have to pay yet, between flunking college and a full time job I've never connected with the building owner. It's been one big game of phone tag thus far.

Other reasons:

Ambiance! This place has it in spades with overgrown vegetation, the outside appearing a bit run down, and parking lots slowly returning to grassy field it just screams post apocalyptic! The only thing the site isn't rich in is varied outside terrain.

Colorado: Currently the vibe here is rather anti gun. So not getting into politics but not flaunting it in the publics face would save a lot off player a lot of hassle if some mistakes a nerf gun and calls in an active shooter. And there are plenty of people who are so anti gun they'd call it in just for spite. Rather sidestep the issue as much as possible.

Those are my most compelling arguments as I see them, toss in the advantage of multi day gameplay and less allergies it's kinda what got me trying to get this up and running. Only other idea I've had was renting out the drive in movie theater in pueblo, having all three screens playing different zombie movies and doing a night game in the middle of it. Couple of fire barrels roaring and stereo playing the sounds for all to hear and it would lead to a pretty intense game!

Felixnfawkes

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 03:53:41 AM »

Sorry. Random repost.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 11:41:53 PM by Felixnfawkes » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.