February 23, 2018, 04:05:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Acceptable Stun/Incubation Timers?  (Read 4260 times)
jjj2576
* Game Organizer

« on: June 18, 2010, 11:06:25 PM »

Hello fellow friends from the national boards! I am reworking Slippery Rock HvZ rules this summer, because I have nothing better to do while I drink. But what is everyone's Stun Timer and Incubation Timer during games of HvZ. At SRU our stun timer for ZED's tends to be a static 15 minutes, but it will change more during missions and based upon mission outcomes this next game. The incubation timer is 1 hour, and also tends to be static. I was thinking of lowering this timer, but what does everyone else think?

-The Jesse J. R. Jennings (SRU Moderator & Dancer)

Primary: Modifed LongShot (Added Spring)
Secondary: Modified NiteFinder (PVC Barrel, AR's removed, Added Spring, Rubberbands)

[1:22:21 AM] Erik "Chuck" Norris: Voldemort's truer evil was making Turtles On Tour
Jeo

[email protected] Executive

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 11:17:42 PM »

We've thought about it multiple times. I have no problems lowering incubation times but it does cause issues for our website if someone tries to report a kill when they're still listed as human. During missions it's not so much of a deal as it's not like people are going to disappear half way through a mission to go report a kill.

The way I see incubation time is that it's an hour where you can't play. That's no fun for anyone and I think contributes to the number of people who rage quit when they get turned.

Australian National University

><
Ozymandias
* Forum Moderator

I met a survivor from Zombieland...

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 11:20:24 PM »

Ours go up and down.

Normal:
  Stun: 15 min. although this can go up and down 5 min. depending on mission results.
  Incubation: 1 hr.

Missions:
  Stun: Usually between 5 min and 30sec.
  Incubation: 15min to 30sec.

"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Dallas Metroplex, Texas
jjj2576
* Game Organizer

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 11:34:21 PM »

Jeo: During non-missions though, 1hour seems acceptable, because it is relatively the length of normal classes.

Ozy: That's pretty much what I was thinking, but do your Moderators place any reasons behind the change in the stun/incubation timers (I mean story-line reasons).

-The Jesse J. R. Jennings (SRU Moderator & Scout)

Secondary: Modified NiteFinder (PVC Barrel, AR's removed, Added Spring, Rubberbands)

[1:22:21 AM] Erik "Chuck" Norris: Voldemort's truer evil was making Turtles On Tour
Mzzkc
* Game Organizer

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 12:32:24 AM »

UMBC uses a 15/1 timer system for out mission play and a 5-10/10-30 timer system for missions.

Although, one interesting thing we do differently is have a double tag rule which reads something like, "If a super human is tagged during a second instance, they go immediately to stunned zombie status for the remainder of their time as a super." You'd think I'd know it word for word since I came up with the damned thing. It fixes the issue where any super can singlehandedly destroy the horde during missions, while still maintaining balance between gameplay and fun.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 03:53:11 AM by Mzzkc » Logged
killian141
* Game Organizer

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 01:58:54 AM »

longwood university had 4 games where it was 10minute stun 10minute incubation no complants on that

play style: Scout/leader
Signature weapon: Longshot
Secondary: Socks, Maverick
Known for: having a F____ ton of bull s___ luck.
Newbs
* Game Organizer

You've got red on you

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 08:26:55 AM »

We have 5 minutes as stun and as incubation times, although the stun time can go down if the zombies complete a mission.

Loadout
Primary: Berserker, centre barrel rebarrelled to take darts.
Secondary: Rebarrelled Big Salvo to take darts / Barricade (stock).
Sidearm: Badly Well rebarrelled Element (fixed it! Cheesy ).
Blackbelt13
* Game Organizer

Best to die in fire, than in darkness

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 09:36:50 AM »

Our games arn't very big, and there's no safe zones since it's played along my backroads and other such places. My stun timer used to be 30 seconds, because one armed human can escape 3 zombies in that time. After stunning them. I then changed it so the OZ has a 30 second timer, but after they tag their first human, they have a 60 second timer along with everyone else they tag. Incubation is pretty much how long it takes you to drop your "weapons" in base camp. This next game will have at least double what we usually get for players. I hope these rules balance out the game.

Lot's of weapons
LimeyMan
* Game Organizer

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 11:55:01 AM »

Our stun and incubation timers stick to the main values.

The only thing we vary is stun time. Usually we will go to the mission location and come up with a generic time that we want zombies to respawn in. We find a good location some distance away and give zombies a touch respawn once they hit that location. Its an excellent way of making zombies tired.

Moderator at Claremont Colleges
GRANITO
* Game Organizer

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 01:18:46 PM »

That's been a big mess over here. We used to 15 minutes stun 1 hour incubation that would vary with missions on the first game. The second game used 15 minutes and half an hour that would vary with missions.
UMBC uses a 15/1 timer system for out mission play and a 5-10/10-30 timer system for missions.

Although, one interesting thing we do differently is have a double tag rule which reads something like, "If a super human is tagged during a second instance, they go immediately to stunned zombie status for the remainder of their time as a super." You'd think I'd know it word for word since I came up with the damned thing. It fixes the issue where any super can singlehandedly destroy the horde during missions, while still maintaining balance between gameplay and fun.
I like this way of doing it a whole lot better though. I'm going to try to implement this next game. Our games have had a lot of problems with the rambo time especially during missions.

A player in our game climbed on top of the roof of the financial aid building so the administration got scared and said "you're moving with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air"

Currently a Mod at University of North Carolina at Greensboro (UNCG)
Ozymandias
* Forum Moderator

I met a survivor from Zombieland...

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 01:20:40 PM »

We have had missions with respawn points as well. They've been hit or miss.

"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Dallas Metroplex, Texas
jjj2576
* Game Organizer

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2010, 02:12:48 PM »

SRU's campus is probably just about as big as Penn State's but everything is really spread out and open. So our missions tend to reflect that. I could see a respawn point working out for some missions, such as defending this little dinky ass point or something.

Mzzkc: We don't do the Rambo rule at SRU, but I like that addition to the Rambo Rule.

-The Jesse J. R. Jennings

Rosewater
* Forum Moderator

Moderator & Invitational Evangelist

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 10:39:31 PM »

I have never run a long-term HvZ, but I would do 15/15 during the day and 1/1 during missions for a while until the ratio gets insane. For our campus, any stun timer longer than 10 minutes is boring.

For my short-term games, I usually start stun timers at 1 minute and then make adjustments as I see fit and notify people via text message.

John Mortara - Penn State Alumnus
- First-Annual Penn State Invitational Organizer 2010
- Very good-looking

Need help starting a regional/invitational game? Email me!

Quote from: Cweed
That's fucked up
Mzzkc
* Game Organizer

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 10:10:13 PM »

For my short-term games, I usually start stun timers at 1 minute and then make adjustments as I see fit and notify people via text message.

I really liked that approach during the Invitational. Sure, it requires extra moderator support, but if you've got the manpower, I think that's the best way of doing things from a gameplay and balance perspective.  
jjj2576
* Game Organizer

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 02:47:05 PM »

I was kind of hoping to do a short term game at SRU as well this year, but thanks for all the tips folks. I will probably do 15/30 or 45 for stun/incubation during non-missions. And shorten it during missions.

-The Jesse J. R. Jennings (SRU Moderator)

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.