November 20, 2017, 09:38:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nerf guns vs. Nerf dart blasters  (Read 17409 times)
supermidget

« on: July 30, 2010, 05:12:54 PM »

Even though school's still 3 weeks away, lately I've been doing a lot of planning for this fall's game.  I'm a student at Texas Tech, and last fall a few people tried to start up a game, but because of our admins banning Nerf weaponry and socks  (We were only allowed to use Nerf balls), only about 50 people of the 500 on the facebook group actually played.  This year, I'm getting together with the mods from last year and making sure we have an organized game plan for how to deal with the admins.  Something that I haven't been able to decide on, though, is how to refer to Nerf weaponry.  Y'see, the official hand sign for Texas Tech is the "guns up", made by making a gun with your thumb and index finger.  Our mascot, Raider Red, wears oversized guns as part of his costume and shoots off blanks at every kickoff.  Heck, vendors even sell foam guns right next to the foam fingers at football games.  So, whenever I approach the Dean of Students and Chief of Police, I'm not sure if I should call a spade, a spade, or use the... um... politically correct term, I guess?  What are your thoughts on the matter?  And, another thing that has occurred to me but I haven't given much thought to.  How can I use those aforementioned facts for a possible counterargument?  I don't want to just say, "Well, our mascot gets some toy guns, why can't we?"
Dyslexda
* Game Organizer

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 06:06:37 PM »

Blasters. The official designation Nerf uses is, "blaster," so we do as well. We encourage players to call them blasters; the last thing we want is for a non-player to overhear a conversation in which someone says they only take a small gun to class.

Hunting Grounds: Truman State University, Kirksville, MO

The Five Commandments:
1.) Don't Be Stupid
2.) Don't Get It Banned
3.) Don't Be A Dick
4.) Have Fun
5.) Play Like You've Got A Pair
Ozymandias
* Forum Moderator

I met a survivor from Zombieland...

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 10:57:25 PM »

Blasters all the way.

Texas Tech, eh? You can tell 'em we play at Texas A&M. Were not official, but we play.

Do you know what their greivances were last year?

"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Dallas Metroplex, Texas
supermidget

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 11:09:19 PM »

I don't know what the admins' specific complaints were.  I didn't mod last year, and only found out about the game about a week before it started.  But in a few weeks, when last year's mods are back in Lubbock, I'm definitely gonna talk to them and find out.
Last Defender
* Game Organizer

The Bearded One

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 01:28:37 AM »

Hm, for them to ban nerf weaponry and yet allow for such blatant use of "guns" at official school events is highly hypocritical.

But definitely use the designation 'blaster". As Ozzy mentioned, that IS Nerf's official designation, so using it in the correct form will probably earn you points in the formalities department.

I will be interested to see what your administration says on this subject. If you need support for the game I am sure we could spot you some letters from our own administrative liaisons.

School: Ball State University

GO SLAUGHTERHOUSE - The most hardcore Penn State group. We fought all day and endured!
sawmillseal

What? Zombies EAT brains?

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 11:23:27 AM »

When in doubt, just say blaster. It seems like a moot point when the practice of the second amendment is at it's peak anyway with REAL firearms, but since people are making an issue about the use of the word "Gun" when referring to nerf products or any other dart blasters, I would just go with everyone saying "blaster," especially since that's how most of the manufacturers label them. I know for recent games at Truman, we've all switched to saying blaster, and it's not really bothered anyone.

Squad: The Guardians
Primary: Socks/Dual Mavericks
Secondary: Raider
Games: 5
GRANITO
* Game Organizer

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 12:30:39 PM »

I say dart launcher and I've been trying to get others here to do the same. It's the least threatening designation I could think of.

A player in our game climbed on top of the roof of the financial aid building so the administration got scared and said "you're moving with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air"

Currently a Mod at University of North Carolina at Greensboro (UNCG)
Spellca

The Traditionalist

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 03:14:51 PM »

In private conversation in text messages or instant messages, I may end up calling them "guns" after someone else does like my Eagle Scout cousin. But in the field, I refer to them as "blasters".

My Wishlist
  • Buzz Bee Tetra-Strike
  • Air Zone Triple Shot
  • Nerf Dart Tag Hyperfire
  • Air Zone Crossbow
Dyslexda
* Game Organizer

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 06:27:58 PM »

Oh, it's not such a bad thing if you say "gun" every now and then. Lord knows we'll never cure the general population of saying it (just glance around the board for proof of that). It's just good to encourage people to say it. The biggest issue, though, is to always use "blaster" when dealing with the administration or police.

Hunting Grounds: Truman State University, Kirksville, MO

The Five Commandments:
1.) Don't Be Stupid
2.) Don't Get It Banned
3.) Don't Be A Dick
4.) Have Fun
5.) Play Like You've Got A Pair
Ozymandias
* Forum Moderator

I met a survivor from Zombieland...

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 09:58:14 PM »

We actually have people who call darts 'bullets'...

Is Ozymandias going to have to choke a bitch?!?!

"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Dallas Metroplex, Texas
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.