November 18, 2017, 03:24:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Sock Moats  (Read 15904 times)
Riggy

« on: September 14, 2010, 11:08:49 AM »

So at SBU, the idea has been floating around that any ammo left on the ground can still stun a zombie if said zombie touches it. This rule is to keep zombies from stealing all the humans ammo rendering them helpless. But now the humans are planning to take advantage of said rule by creating a "moat" so to speak of socks to keep the zombies from passing a specific point.

Seems like a DBAD violation to me, thoughts?

Primary: LongShot; shotgun-gripped, reddot sight, 120 lumen flashlight
Secondary: Raider SMG
Sidearm: ~20 socks

"Paranoia: You aren't crazy if they really are out to get you
One Winged Angel
* Forum Moderator

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 11:19:00 AM »

Sounds genious to me!

Quote from: aylatrigger
Explosives aren't really my style.  I prefer thermite.

Quote from: Markus
Well, at least I know I could handle getting shivved in prison now.
SnowDragon
* Game Organizer

Brisbane HvZ Administrative Organiser

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 11:44:27 AM »

So at SBU, the idea has been floating around that any ammo left on the ground can still stun a zombie if said zombie touches it. This rule is to keep zombies from stealing all the humans ammo rendering them helpless. But now the humans are planning to take advantage of said rule by creating a "moat" so to speak of socks to keep the zombies from passing a specific point.

Seems like a DBAD violation to me, thoughts?

Good luck getting that many socks Tongue And what if the zombies get brooms to clear a path?

Or they start having long jump compititions.

hahaha

Primary: LongStorm CS-MF
Secondary: Magstrike MOD 1
Side Arm: FuryFire MOD 2
Teritary: Rubber Training Knife (PK 92R10D)
Equipment: 13 6 shot magazines, 1 flip clip, 35 round drum, Tac Vest, 200 darts, hip holster, sling

Zombie Stuns: 136
Zombified: 10 times

RAIS - Corporate Safety
Rosewater
* Forum Moderator

Moderator & Invitational Evangelist

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 05:42:39 PM »

god do i hate nerds.

John Mortara - Penn State Alumnus
- First-Annual Penn State Invitational Organizer 2010
- Very good-looking

Need help starting a regional/invitational game? Email me!

Quote from: Cweed
That's fucked up
Sklover
* Administrator

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 05:44:31 PM »

god do i hate nerds.

I nominate this as thread of the month.

Loading Please Wait...
One Winged Angel
* Forum Moderator

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 06:00:04 PM »

I nominate this as thread of the month.

Man, September is a good month! 3 Threads of the Month!

Quote from: aylatrigger
Explosives aren't really my style.  I prefer thermite.

Quote from: Markus
Well, at least I know I could handle getting shivved in prison now.
Dyslexda
* Game Organizer

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 07:37:49 PM »

god do i hate nerds.

Then...then...why do you play HvZ?

And yes, that seems a complete DBAD violation. At our game, socks are supposed to represent rocks, sticks, anything hard that you can throw. Last time I checked, a pebble path wasn't a strong barrier against zombahs.

Hunting Grounds: Truman State University, Kirksville, MO

The Five Commandments:
1.) Don't Be Stupid
2.) Don't Get It Banned
3.) Don't Be A Dick
4.) Have Fun
5.) Play Like You've Got A Pair
catbarf

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 10:20:18 PM »

It will take a while to set up, will require tons of socks, will leave the people constructing it extremely vulnerable, cannot be continuously defended, and in all likelihood will simply be jumped over. It's pointless.
Jeo

[email protected] Executive

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 11:49:25 PM »

We play that dart/socks only count while they're still in motion, so that would kill that idea.

To make sure people don't lose darts we made a rule that stunned zombies have to physically have them back to the human that shot them. Seems to work for us.

Australian National University

><
Dyslexda
* Game Organizer

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 02:18:03 AM »

Stunned zombies have to physically hand darts back to humans? That seems somewhat counterintuitive. First off, every game I've played in, it's just an accepted fact that you're going to lose darts. Tons. That's one reason people use socks: easier to find, you don't use as many. But second, even if you aren't going to lose the darts later on, ammo conservation is part of the game. If I knew a zed was going to have to hand me all my darts back, I'd go from class to class with an RF20. See a zed? Hose him down, step inside, kindly ask for my darts back. Otherwise, I've gotta make sure every shot counts. Finally, I can understand if it's one or two darts that the zeds are supposed to pick up; however, I'd be pissed if I were hosed down with an RF20, and then asked to collect the darts.

Hunting Grounds: Truman State University, Kirksville, MO

The Five Commandments:
1.) Don't Be Stupid
2.) Don't Get It Banned
3.) Don't Be A Dick
4.) Have Fun
5.) Play Like You've Got A Pair
Jeo

[email protected] Executive

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 05:24:59 AM »

Yes, you are going to lose darts so why not try to minimise it?

Ammo conservation was a major point of contention when we made the rule but we decided that the newbie losing 5 of their 6 darts and quitting was far worse than making ammo conservation less of an issue. For the hardcore players it barely makes a difference as they'd have several hundred darts on their person anyway. You still need to conserve ammo as reloading is still an issue. Unloading an entire AS20 on a single zombie is frowned upon but to follow the letter of the rule the zombie would have to pick them up. DBAD helps though.

Australian National University

><
KGejerta

Eagle One Reconnaissance

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 12:14:28 PM »

Well it's also sportsmanship like to pick up the darts, as well as environmentally friendly. If I was stunned, and I knew I put up a good skirmish, I would gladly assist in picking up the darts. It's all in the nature of the game really.

Stony Brook University

Primary - Blowgun
Secondary - Barricade
mcknightchris
* Game Organizer

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 01:02:01 PM »

Well it's also sportsmanship like to pick up the darts, as well as environmentally friendly. If I was stunned, and I knew I put up a good skirmish, I would gladly assist in picking up the darts. It's all in the nature of the game really.

Here at TAMU, zombies are only required to give darts back if they pick them up, to prevent them from moving them farther away and/or stealing them.

Semi-retired from HvZ due to leaving TAMU. Hopefully I can make it to some missions and invitationals.

Squad: CDC

Insanity is just another state of mind... lol
SnowDragon
* Game Organizer

Brisbane HvZ Administrative Organiser

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 03:33:19 PM »

I'd imagine during those safe zone sieges some of you guys get would lead to a bit of zombie ammo hording and dropbox returning instead of to the human player who stunned them.

Primary: LongStorm CS-MF
Secondary: Magstrike MOD 1
Side Arm: FuryFire MOD 2
Teritary: Rubber Training Knife (PK 92R10D)
Equipment: 13 6 shot magazines, 1 flip clip, 35 round drum, Tac Vest, 200 darts, hip holster, sling

Zombie Stuns: 136
Zombified: 10 times

RAIS - Corporate Safety
catbarf

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 04:32:07 PM »

See a zed? Hose him down, step inside, kindly ask for my darts back.

Get tagged by his zombie buddies, either immediately or in a minute's time, as you try to reload twenty darts and re-pump the RF20. Anyone can buy a crate of darts and carry them in a bag. Ammo conservation is less about what's in your backpack and more about what's in the blaster or clips.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.