October 17, 2017, 05:44:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Just told we were not approved.  (Read 13258 times)
phillysurvivor

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 01:59:55 PM »

These are some great suggestions. Thanks for all your support.

After two weeks of back and forth, I got my assistant dean in a good mood (Wished him Happy birthday yesterday, allowed him to bring up the topic). He agreed to set up a meeting with risk management, though he framed it as if the decision was already decided. I will be fighting an uphill battle and this will be my last chance to organize this with administrative support.

His major argument is that Drexel is a school in a city, not a city in a school. We don't have large grassland on campus of any sort. Ultimate frisbee is played in a gated field. He rejects the argument that Penn State or FSU and the like are city schools because, at 150,000 residents, they don't compare to the scale of Philadelphia. The non-Drexel traffic we get is much greater than the non-school traffic those schools get. Thus, the risk of someone misunderstanding the game and/or freaking out if they accidentally get hit is much greater.

He used the (to me, fallacious) argument that the school used to have a shooting range in the Main building but shut it down after Virginia Tech. He said guns (I have switched to blaster, but the term is stuck in his head) are only allowed on campus for the campus police, ROTC, and storage (ie. for paintball). He clearly views any projectile as a gun, and in his head, may therefore dismiss the frisbee argument.

I will be bringing a group of 5 other organizers with me. I can address their concerns with your case studies, but I currently don't have a great response to dealing with random passerbys. It seems Drexel admins are consistently anal. Makes their nuts considerably harder to crack.
sam55

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2010, 02:27:48 AM »

After 2 months of planning this game with support from the office of campus activities, the residence halls, the campus activities board, and the school newspaper, I got an email from our assistant dean of campus engagement saying that the event had not been approved by risk management. I met with him to discuss his issues and he told me he would bring them to risk management. Three day later, today, I got the following email.

Shananigans!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 01:59:41 PM by Ozymandias » Logged
supermidget

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2010, 10:00:31 AM »

Really?  His response to your meeting was to send you office leasing solutions?  It's like he doesn't care about the game at all!
Valenx
* Game Organizer

The Resident Bassist

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2010, 10:10:42 AM »

Midget.......that's a spambot. lol

In-Field Moderator Sylum of the Nicholls State University Resistance.

Louisiana Unit. Wolf Pack Squad Leader.

Primary: Longstrike
Secondary: Maverick (Penny and ar removal mods)
Sidearm: lots and lots of socks
Equipment: Bandolier of 4 six-shot clips. 75 extra darts (going get more soon)
supermidget

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2010, 10:16:37 AM »

Obviously.  Tongue
VCarik

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2010, 01:52:42 PM »

Hey Phillysurvivor,
I don't attend Drexel but I am in grad school at Penn right down the street.
Myself and a few other people who had played at various other colleges in undergrad wanted to try and get a game together, but we decided that Penn's stodgy admin combined with the same urban setting as Drexel meant we probably would not get permission.  The sad part is, both campuses would be perfect for a 'real' HVZ experience with tons of peeking around corners and tense standoffs between zeds and humans.  The debate amongst ourselves pretty much resulted in us deciding we wouldn't even try with the admin.
That being said, I contacted the Urban Gaming Club at Penn State, and they were gracious enough to tell us we could attend their annual game next April; it's only a few hour drive and I am sure we could arrange a car pool situation if you guys wanted to. 
Alternatively, if you guys do manage to get it pushed through, perhaps we could use your success as leverage and have the perimeter extended to include both campuses; the boundaries practically overlap anyway.  If you wanted to, that is.
Good luck and let me know if you need anything, or if you want to try and organize the trip up to Penn State next year, I am sure they would accommodate.
Bobsaid

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2011, 04:07:37 PM »

If you would like I'd be willing to write a letter of support or similar. I'm a mod for playing at Arizona State and you can't get too much more urban than our campus. 50,000 students on Tempe Campus in a city with 160,000 people... We are also one of the largest universities over all (flips between ohio state and us) so our games are small but are growing rapidly. I'm also trying to get multiple campuses involved this year so if Ican help you in anyway please let me know.

Role: Mod/Squad Command
Squad: Panda Core
Hunting Grounds: Arizona State (Poly)

Primary: Raider/Longstrike/Barricade
Secondary: SL6/Barricade
Side Arm: Modded Nite Finder (Vira)

For those who are about to Panda, we salute you.
barbaraH3462

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2012, 09:30:08 PM »

This is really sad. And I think it's a little unreasonable to not approve provided the reasons stated.
Cazzums
* Forum Moderator

Graveyard Shift

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2012, 12:21:44 AM »

Necroed. Locked.

"See you space cowboy..."
Primary: Minimized Demolisher
Backup: Socks/3' Blowgun
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.