December 21, 2014, 08:46:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Making your own melee weapon?  (Read 6321 times)
Newbs
* Game Organizer

You've got red on you

« on: December 18, 2010, 03:54:19 AM »

So, our next game (which is on monday), is gonna have melee allowed. Now, asides from duct taping a bayonet (length of FBR) to the front of my longshot, I was wondering what I could do.
So, my idea is, basically to have a length of thick dowel for the handle and to support part of the business end. Then make the head (either a battle axe, a war hammer, or possibly just a simple mace) out of foam. I want the massive hammer the most, but this will take more time and materials. I would of course cover the dowel with foam.
I was wondering what could be used to support the shape of the head, aside from duct tape. Would wire coathangers work?
Feedback? Advice? Ideas?

Loadout
Primary: Berserker, centre barrel rebarrelled to take darts.
Secondary: Rebarrelled Big Salvo to take darts / Barricade (stock).
Sidearm: Badly Well rebarrelled Element (fixed it! Cheesy ).
Heolfrig

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 04:14:11 AM »

We just started a game at my high school in northwest Indiana (25-40 people), and melee are incredibly over-powered. In fact, one of our humans took out 6 zeds with one melee weapon and a decent amount of luck. Also, there have been a LOT of head shots (and a few too many crotch shots).

However, if you are going to allow melee, you want a core that has some give to it, but can still hold it's shape. I wouldn't recommend a dowel rod because even if you pad it with foam, you're still swinging around a dowel rod. The N-Force weapons from NERF hurt like a BITCH when you get hit with them and the wielder is freaking out because he's about to get eaten. Perhaps you could take one and just add some more padding? However, then you kind of get into Dagorhir...

Quote from: Newbs
Fear is merely the presence of sanity. You need to work on that.
Quote from: Ozymandias
Buy 2 RF20s and live the dream.
Primary: Stryfly (in progress)
Secondary: Alpha Trooper
Sidearm: Stryfe
mcknightchris
* Game Organizer

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 04:15:12 AM »

I'm working on a warhammer at the moment using a chunk of foam archery target Ozy gave me. I would avoid the wire hanger as much as possible, as you don't want an end to come loose and poke through as you're swinging it. The cheapest, and easiest, way I can envision you doing this to get a pillow, pvc pipe, pool noodle, and lots of duct tape. Wrap the pvc in pool noodle for the handle, and maybe have a tee at one end with more pipe and noodle for extra support. Wrap the pillow around that end, then wrap everything securely with duct tape. Voila, a warhammer that only a wimp would cry about.

Semi-retired from HvZ due to leaving TAMU. Hopefully I can make it to some missions and invitationals.

Squad: CDC

Insanity is just another state of mind... lol
Heolfrig

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 04:36:53 AM »

words

Yeah, the wire hanger is a big no-no. Aside from that, I like the sound of it. Also, I never thought of archery foam. I've kinda been thinking about making a warhammer similar to the one from Super Smash Bro. JUST to look like a badass. I think the archery form should work quite nicely for it! *cackles maniacally*

Quote from: Newbs
Fear is merely the presence of sanity. You need to work on that.
Quote from: Ozymandias
Primary: Stryfly (in progress)
Secondary: Alpha Trooper
Sidearm: Stryfe
Dyslexda
* Game Organizer

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 05:15:29 AM »

While I can't speak for your school's rules, if we allowed melee at Truman, as a mod god (safety mod, basically), I would require all melee weapons to meet Dagohir, Belegarth, or Amtguard safety standards. One of the cardinal rules is no metal, at all, ever, anywhere. So no go on the coathanger. Regarding the dowel: I'd recommend going with PVC or fiberglass instead. I've made a spear with a wooden dowel core, and that sucker can get heavy. PVC is much lighter.

I would recommend finding a decent build guide for boffer swords, and adapting it to what you want to make. There's a wealth of information for various skill levels (such as this flash tutorial, or this guide for making a barrel mace, and here's a .PDF tutorial on making polearms, which can be adapted to maces or war hammers).

I've had some decent experience building boffers, so if you need more specific help, let me know.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 05:20:02 AM by Dyslexda » Logged

Hunting Grounds: Truman State University, Kirksville, MO

The Five Commandments:
1.) Don't Be Stupid
2.) Don't Get It Banned
3.) Don't Be A Dick
4.) Have Fun
5.) Play Like You've Got A Pair
Myrmidont

Hunter

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 06:23:20 AM »

I'm going to be assembling some boffer weaponry shortly, for non-HvZ/Nerf purposes. I'll be using the rules here to make mine - except using 15mm PVC sheathed in 20mm PVC instead of 20mm in 25mm.

And yeah, don't use wire. Srsly.

Mal: "Jayne, how many weapons you plan on bringing? You only got the two arms."
Jayne: "I just get excitable as to choice- like to have my options open."
KatanasPWN

King Under The Mountain

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 01:24:53 PM »

I had a small Hvz match with friends a while back and one of them just used some pool noodles cut down a bit so he could swing faster, he went fucking apeshit on the zeds, he was spinning in circles and flailing his noodles and he lasted for a few rounds but then he got tired and just pulled out his nitefinder and shot a few zeds and then let himself get infected.

Wolololo
KingJulien

Dubstep Nerf

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 01:26:09 PM »

I had a foam knife (not NERF) and I gave it to my friend who loves knives and he went crazy with it.  It had a plastic rod in it to keep it straight and the foam fell off of the rod.  He didn't notice until he had stabbed on of my friends with the plastic rod. Embarrassed

New and Creative
d3rp4nz3r

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 10:06:35 PM »

I've been sort of curious about the whole idea of melee weapons in these games. We did it on my campus, and you ended up with a bunch of guys with swords and pistol-style recons running around like space marines from Warhammer 40K. Awesome, and no question about effectiveness, but I'm curious about some other groups opinions about them, and/or other rules.

Also, with the arrival of the barricades, these guys are now more deadly then ever...
Myrmidont

Hunter

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 11:28:34 PM »

I've been sort of curious about the whole idea of melee weapons in these games. We did it on my campus, and you ended up with a bunch of guys with swords and pistol-style recons running around like space marines from Warhammer 40K. Awesome, and no question about effectiveness, but I'm curious about some other groups opinions about them, and/or other rules.

Also, with the arrival of the barricades, these guys are now more deadly then ever...
Indeed. The people I do mini-HvZ with ban melee or barrel-tapping since a melee weapon is something the zombie has to get past even if they avoid all the darts at range, and it never runs out of ammo or needs to reload. Unless you also give the zombies melee weapons to get past the defender's 'reach', then it can be unbalanced.

Mal: "Jayne, how many weapons you plan on bringing? You only got the two arms."
Jayne: "I just get excitable as to choice- like to have my options open."
d3rp4nz3r

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 11:34:53 PM »

Indeed. The people I do mini-HvZ with ban melee or barrel-tapping since a melee weapon is something the zombie has to get past even if they avoid all the darts at range, and it never runs out of ammo or needs to reload. Unless you also give the zombies melee weapons to get past the defender's 'reach', then it can be unbalanced.

We've come up with the rules stating that melee weapons can't actually "kill" a zombie. Someone thwacked with a melee weapon can't "bite" but the can still plot and plan, (and take a bullet) and it only lasts for about 5 minutes, usually. 10 in big-population games.

Anyone have a rule like this?

As for weapon choice, we never allow home-made simply because you can't regulate those. Has to be socks or nerf-brand products, unmodified.

Then again, we have a guy who is a true sock ninja, and wields sock-flails. One sock balled up into another, unrolled sock. Simple, and viscious. He dual-wields, and never goes anywhere without them. The man stopped a full-force charge of 60+ zeds single-handedly.
Dyslexda
* Game Organizer

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 12:50:36 AM »

Personally, I'm not at all a fan, for the reasons you mentioned. Melee is far overpowered. Granted, I come from a very pro-zombie background, but to me, it violates one of the core tenants of HvZ: humans use ranged, zombies use melee.

Additionally, there's the safety issue. Go ahead and call me a wuss, but regular boffer fighting hurts enough, and that's with equipment made to very safe specifications. Add in the low quality of mass produced weapons by those who don't know how to make them, plus the adrenaline rush of being attacked by zombies, and you've got people swingin' for the fences at my face. Not a recipe for fun.

Hunting Grounds: Truman State University, Kirksville, MO

The Five Commandments:
1.) Don't Be Stupid
2.) Don't Get It Banned
3.) Don't Be A Dick
4.) Have Fun
5.) Play Like You've Got A Pair
SnowDragon
* Game Organizer

Brisbane HvZ Administrative Organiser

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 09:34:22 AM »

Melee only works for some games, and not a lot of them. It's way overpowered, as you remove the zombie's only advantage in the entire game.

That and some players can get excitable and swing too hard and knock some bastard's block off.

Primary: LongStorm CS-MF
Secondary: Magstrike MOD 1
Side Arm: FuryFire MOD 2
Teritary: Rubber Training Knife (PK 92R10D)
Equipment: 13 6 shot magazines, 1 flip clip, 35 round drum, Tac Vest, 200 darts, hip holster, sling

Zombie Stuns: 136
Zombified: 10 times

RAIS - Corporate Safety
solmssteinke

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 09:42:44 AM »

Well, my whole opinion on this is that it's only overpowered if your zeds AND humans are complete noobs (sorry for being so blunt) - most of our human players use N-force weapons, and the zombies STILL epically powned them this semester. This means both that those killed suck with swords (or the game in general) and the zeds are really good.

Also, the fears of someone's block getting knocked off are valid, but we simply told people that deliberate head or crotch shots or swinging too hard would get them kicked out, and we had quite few complaints of people hitting too hard, with most of those being new players who freaked whenever a zed charged them. Those of us who are veterans tend to exercise restraint and not blench.

So I think that if you simply set up rules governing the use of melee weapons (easily done), and the humans don't get scared pantless so easily but rather fight and stun cleanly and efficiently (not so easily done), most problems won't come up.

Also, if you think they're overpowered, again, I remind you - we had 80 zeds from 6 OZ's WITH melee within 3 days. Out of 230 players. So no, they're not overpowered, unless your zeds are noobs and need to be properly trained.

~SS "Hawk"~

Title: Redemptor or "Hawk"
School: SUNY Geneseo

Primary: Nerf longshot modified with replacement springs and removed air restrictor
Secondary: Nerf sword, double-bladed
Newbs
* Game Organizer

You've got red on you

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 12:45:57 PM »

Yeah, the game went well, and melee was allowed (I think it was limited to one or two per squad, there were six or seven squads), and the zombies still won. Admittedly the melee weapons were all pretty short though.

Loadout
Primary: Berserker, centre barrel rebarrelled to take darts.
Secondary: Rebarrelled Big Salvo to take darts / Barricade (stock).
Sidearm: Badly Well rebarrelled Element (fixed it! Cheesy ).
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.