April 28, 2017, 06:11:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22
  Print  
Author Topic: Newb Advice Thread Discussion  (Read 93058 times)
Chevalier Mal Fet
* Game Organizer

PREPARE FOR TROUBLE

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 02:55:14 AM »

1)You will die, and probably in quite embarrassing fashion. Accept this now.
2)The game is not over when you die. In fact, it gets quite a bit better. Your former compatriots are now meat.
3)Humans are more scared of you than you are of them, abuse that.
4)Learn to dodge. If you can dodge even one dart or sock, you'll be a much, much more effective zombie, both in terms of kills and, more importantly, being a diversion.
5)Don't be stupid. Never let the humans get a free pass, but always charging right away isn't the best strategy either. Your moment will come, learn to pick it. Last semester a small group of zombies netted two or three kills against twice their number of humans simply by waiting for half the humans to begin going inside before charging.
6)Master either a dive or a leap - the dive is easier, but the leap will catch the meat off-guard. My zombie dive is responsible for probably 80% of my non-mission kills.
7)Listen to your elders! Zombie hordes need more direction than a human one to be effective, and hopefully natural leaders will develop. Listen to them! Don't go on a stupid "I wanna be the alpha male!" ego trip and do your own thing, the humans win when you do that. Being a good zombie is also about learning when to listen.

That should be enough to get anyone started on the zed side of things.

Om nom, kiddos.

Screw those lists of blasters. Being a zombie is just better.
Bobololo

I Will End You

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 03:05:55 AM »

1)You will die, and probably in quite embarrassing fashion. Accept this now.
2)The game is not over when you die. In fact, it gets quite a bit better. Your former compatriots are now meat.
3)Humans are more scared of you than you are of them, abuse that.
4)Learn to dodge. If you can dodge even one dart or sock, you'll be a much, much more effective zombie, both in terms of kills and, more importantly, being a diversion.
5)Don't be stupid. Never let the humans get a free pass, but always charging right away isn't the best strategy either.
These are the ones I love. So many people complained when they went zed. Who doesn't like to dress up like the undead and hide in bushes or parking lots?!
Definitely abuse the scared of you more idea. People will always walk backward when they see a few zeds (unless they are stocked the the brim and/or are war game vets).
Dodging is your best friend. Practice it and master it. You'll thank Chevalier later.

The YouTube Channel
Quote from: Daniel Beaver
You may think it's mean of me to shit all over your creative vision, but rest assured that shit is an awesome fertilizer for the muse of the mind.
Long live the Horsemen and hail Satan.
Dyslexda
* Game Organizer

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 04:25:08 AM »

Psychological warfare is possibly the most fun part of the game. I still fondly remember my first experience with this as a zombie; I stalked a couple humans back to their dorm. They were freaked the entire time. When I pulled out my phone and pretended to make a call, they sprinted away. From me. A single zombie. It was glorious.

Hunting Grounds: Truman State University, Kirksville, MO

The Five Commandments:
1.) Don't Be Stupid
2.) Don't Get It Banned
3.) Don't Be A Dick
4.) Have Fun
5.) Play Like You've Got A Pair
Bobololo

I Will End You

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 04:41:34 AM »

Dyslexda, try a group of 15 or so at your door for over an hour waiting for you to come out. And then having them patrol around your dorm at night around dinner time. I was scared as hell to come out of my dorm room. Luckily, it finally died down enough for me to make a quick run for the cafeteria.

The YouTube Channel
You may think it's mean of me to shit all over your creative vision, but rest assured that shit is an awesome fertilizer for the muse of the mind.
mcknightchris
* Game Organizer

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 01:46:00 PM »

Dyslexda, try a group of 15 or so at your door for over an hour waiting for you to come out. And then having them patrol around your dorm at night around dinner time. I was scared as hell to come out of my dorm room. Luckily, it finally died down enough for me to make a quick run for the cafeteria.

And this reminds me of my 6th rule to add.

6) Always have some food and water stocked in your room. You'll never know when you need to bunker down.

Semi-retired from HvZ due to leaving TAMU. Hopefully I can make it to some missions and invitationals.

Squad: CDC

Insanity is just another state of mind... lol
Bobololo

I Will End You

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 06:17:06 PM »

And this reminds me of my 6th rule to add.

6) Always have some food and water stocked in your room. You'll never know when you need to bunker down.
Thank goodness the SCAD game ends at 11:59:59 every day. I'd be screwed. At least some weight loss isn't too bad Tongue

The YouTube Channel
Ozymandias

I met a survivor from Zombieland...

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, 03:23:21 AM »

Mods are Gods. Save the arguing till after the game.

"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Dallas Metroplex, Texas
Black Sheep

Theres one in every horde.

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2011, 06:29:22 AM »

5) Remember, the point of HvZ is not to survive until the last day. The point is to die in an epic fashion that will be remembered for years and that will be told around the campfires of future zombie hunters.

I am going to have to disagree with you on this point sir.  The point IS to survive until the last day.  That way your inevitable death will be to the tune of being outnumbered 300-1 & the ensuing story will be all the more epic.   The story that within a year, new players who were not present at your death are regaling even newer players of your tale of epic-ness as if they were there.  While you lean against a tree, slowly pressing streamlines into a clip & slapping it into your blaster before turning away while "Half-Dead Closing" by Portishead plays in the background. 

Squad: Z.E.R.O.

Primary: Alpha Trooper CS-18 (w/ Raider stock)
Secondary:
Sidearms:
Hold Out:
Gear:

Geeks Geeked:203
Brains Eaten: 57
Flibx
* Game Organizer

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2011, 06:32:52 AM »

Mods are Gods. Save the arguing till after the game.
This is so important. Our players do tend to argue over fairly small points and it messes us up for the rest of the game.
Save the arguing and the game will flow more smoothly and be more fun Smiley

Sussex Uni - UK
Newbs
* Game Organizer

You've got red on you

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2011, 07:01:00 AM »

This is so important. Our players do tend to argue over fairly small points and it messes us up for the rest of the game.
Save the arguing and the game will flow more smoothly and be more fun Smiley
Yeah. People seem to argue a lot over a lot of little points .___.

Loadout
Primary: Berserker, centre barrel rebarrelled to take darts.
Secondary: Rebarrelled Big Salvo to take darts / Barricade (stock).
Sidearm: Badly Well rebarrelled Element (fixed it! Cheesy ).
Bobololo

I Will End You

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2011, 08:09:34 AM »

Yeah. People seem to argue a lot over a lot of little points .___.

No kidding. We had some zeds argue at the mods because the last bit of humans were hiding in their rooms and the zeds apparently thought it wasn't fair...

The YouTube Channel
Dyslexda
* Game Organizer

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2011, 08:58:51 AM »

I am going to have to disagree with you on this point sir.  The point IS to survive until the last day.  That way your inevitable death will be to the tune of being outnumbered 300-1 & the ensuing story will be all the more epic.   The story that within a year, new players who were not present at your death are regaling even newer players of your tale of epic-ness as if they were there.  While you lean against a tree, slowly pressing streamlines into a clip & slapping it into your blaster before turning away while "Half-Dead Closing" by Portishead plays in the background. 

But if your goal of survival gets in the way of playing the game, you've taken it too far. Nobody's saying go out and zombicide yourself (though it's happened often enough; I did it at BSU's invite, for instance); rather, play hard, play well, but when your time comes, take it. I reference Commandment #5 in my siggy: "Play like you've got a pair." The second that you decide to not go on a mission, or not have fun with the game, because there's a chance you might die, you've taken your survival goal too far.

The Five Commandments:
1.) Don't Be Stupid
2.) Don't Get It Banned
3.) Don't Be A Dick
4.) Have Fun
Black Sheep

Theres one in every horde.

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2011, 01:45:40 AM »

But if your goal of survival gets in the way of playing the game, you've taken it too far. Nobody's saying go out and zombicide yourself (though it's happened often enough; I did it at BSU's invite, for instance); rather, play hard, play well, but when your time comes, take it. I reference Commandment #5 in my siggy: "Play like you've got a pair." The second that you decide to not go on a mission, or not have fun with the game, because there's a chance you might die, you've taken your survival goal too far.

I agree with you,  however those possessing of a proper pair seem to be the ones that survive the longest. They take the calculated risks that will keep them & their chums alive.  Survival should always be a goal, probably not the paramount one, but often times a great time has been had by the room full of survivors following a particularly difficult or costly mission.  Not only the sharing of stories, but the camaraderie & brotherhood that it spawns & are usually my favorite parts of the game.  Which to be fair happens in the Horde room just as often......but if no one is looking to survive, a week long game could be difficult. 

On the subject of people who avoid missions just to be there on the last day......well i have a word for them, but am trying to keep a civil tongue on this board.  They displease me greatly. 

Squad: Z.E.R.O.

Primary: Alpha Trooper CS-18 (w/ Raider stock)
Secondary:
Sidearms:
Hold Out:
Gear:

Geeks Geeked:203
Brains Eaten: 57
mcknightchris
* Game Organizer

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2011, 03:04:30 AM »

Let's see, I play as if my survival and the survival of the resistance depends on the mission's completion. When it comes down to knowing I'm gonna die, I'm going to arrange it to where I at least have a chance. When it comes down to facing down a Horde and having fun all around, or sprinting for safety and being caught out of breath, I'll take the fun route.

Semi-retired from HvZ due to leaving TAMU. Hopefully I can make it to some missions and invitationals.

Squad: CDC

Insanity is just another state of mind... lol
Dyslexda
* Game Organizer

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2011, 02:04:56 PM »

We need a new zombie motto. I'll paraphrase what I've heard elsewhere:

"You can run, but you'll just get munched while out of breath."

Meh, doesn't have a whole lot of pizazz to it...

The Five Commandments:
1.) Don't Be Stupid
2.) Don't Get It Banned
3.) Don't Be A Dick
4.) Have Fun
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.