December 22, 2014, 12:10:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22
  Print  
Author Topic: Newb Advice Thread Discussion  (Read 60664 times)
Atlatal king

« Reply #195 on: August 22, 2012, 11:03:28 PM »

In the youtube database thread ruder agent johnnyBs name it said he invented a homade dart safe for hvz I cant find a thing about it can some one direct me in the right direction
Masturcief42

lol I'm teh mastur cief!

« Reply #196 on: September 03, 2012, 06:25:54 PM »

I have a few questions about swarmpedes. Feel free to answer as many or little as you like.
First, what kind of spring did you use in the stampede? What is the voltage in the stampede and swarmfire? Are the triggers to the swarmfire and stampede linked or separate? Where are the battery's for the swarmfire? What kind of spring is in the swarmfire?

Go save lives, donate blood.
torukmakto4

Inhuman Resistance

« Reply #197 on: September 03, 2012, 07:01:05 PM »

First, what kind of spring did you use in the stampede?

My build: Everbilt 24.80lb.

Recommendation: SGnerf spring.

What is the voltage in the stampede and swarmfire?

My build: 19.2v from 16 cells Ni-MH for both.

Recommendation: 12 cells (14.4v) or 4s Li-ion/Li-po (14.8v) to match SGnerf spring.

Are the triggers to the swarmfire and stampede linked or separate?

My build: Separate.

Recommendation: Separate. Linked (meaning adding a switch to the pede trigger) just makes the gun cumbersome to switch from swarmfire to stampede, because you have to simultaneously disable the pede and turn on the swarmfire to use it. You can wire the safety to do such a thing if you wanted, but it's more flexible to have 2 triggers.

Don't make the mistake of trying to use the pede cycle switch to operate the swarmy, or accidentally changing any of the wiring surrounding that area of a pede action if you aren't sure how it works.

Where are the battery's for the swarmfire?

My build: There is not a second power setup for the swarmfire because this one uses the same voltage for both and there is no other reason to divorce the power. The packs are in the stampede battery box.

Recommendation: See above. You want as much voltage as you can get for the swarmy up to about 22v, IMO, because IMO your target should be 500RPM cyclic. That is what makes them the most useful - but I don't think it's worth adding a second power setup for that if you need a lower voltage for the pede, and center-tap harnesses are risky because they drain the batteries unevenly and that for Li-ion/Li-po can be BAD. 14.8v is enough cyclic rate on a swarmy with a decent spring option in it.

What kind of spring is in the swarmfire?

My build: Late gen stock NF (the type with FEWER coils, NOT the old style which will stack solid and DAMAGE THINGS, WARNING!)

Recommendation: See above. SGnerf's springs and the OMW swaps are overkill and you can get all the way to 50 flat with nothing but the NF spring. The heavier loads are NOT matched by a corresponding increase in muzzle energy/velocity - but they are matched by a large decrease in cyclic rate and a large increase in gearbox loads and plunger impact energy.

Speaking of plunger impact energy, do not pad the plunger on the swarmfire. This is one case where SGnerf missed something. The plunger does NOT stop on the PT - it actually stops on the small lug at the rear end of the rod, which hits the end of the track in the receiver, leaving the PT loose and able to move back a short distance before hitting the plunger head. If you add a thick pad, you will only cause the spring to drive the PT/seal assembly forward into the cylinder causing friction from the seal and reliability problems. A pad thin enough not to mess up operation will do nothing to reduce impact loading of any part, because it will never get compressed.

CT-2406
Quartermaster of the Florida 501st
You are now entering the Dart Zone

"Our survival instinct is our greatest source of inspiration"
Masturcief42

lol I'm teh mastur cief!

« Reply #198 on: September 03, 2012, 08:41:50 PM »

Rebutle.
You say a sgnerf spring, I think it's 6kg correct? Would an orange mod works spring work instead of the sgnerf spring?
For the separate triggers could you post an image where yours is? That would help a ton.
Could I post a circuit of what I think would work and have you check it?
Here is an element spring that I took from one lying around. Will it work?

Edit: here is my crappy drawing of a circuit.

Will it work?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 08:55:59 PM by Masturcief42 » Logged

torukmakto4

Inhuman Resistance

« Reply #199 on: September 03, 2012, 09:53:39 PM »

You say a sgnerf spring, I think it's 6kg correct? Would an orange mod works spring work?
For the separate triggers could you post an image where yours is?
Here is an element spring. Will it work?
[image]
Edit: here is my crappy drawing of a circuit.
[image]
Will it work?

SGnerf is 9kg. The OMW 2.5 is decent but you do have a slight chance of problems with 4s. Be prepared for needing to reduce voltage or use a different spring setup if you do try running the 2.5 and 14-something volts.

This is my "203 style" trigger pack location, in the image that I must have posted 10 times:

For what it's worth. Some people have forward pistol grips on the swarmy with a trigger, and some have pinky buttons on the pede grip to fire the swarmy, and all kinds of other madness.

PS, the swarmfire trigger group does NOT fit there if you use the swarmy location I did, I heavily modified that thing and it is quite internally different and a lot shorter than a stock swarmfire's trigger setup.

The spring you have for the swarmy looks good (it LOOKS like a late stock NF spring but I don't have anything for scale and I know Elements got odd springs occasionally). Just check to be sure it isn't going to reach its solid height early, because I have encountered stretched plunger rods from this exact issue happening to people with the NF springs.

The electrical should be good according to that. I wired my pede safety to control both guns, eliminating the need to worry about 2 switches.

CT-2406

Masturcief42

lol I'm teh mastur cief!

« Reply #200 on: September 03, 2012, 09:58:27 PM »

Alright, few last things. Is your motor stock, if not what kind? I plan on using 18v (current setup) for both so will I need a spring like yours? If so how can I get one? Anything else I really need to know?
Also, I have been having a weird problem where it will work normaly but when I stp pulling the trigger it stops, even if it is midway. Any ideas?
Edit: here is a longstrike spring left and element spring right for comparison.

And one last question, what secondary do you use with your pede, assuming it is your primariy.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 02:19:46 PM by Masturcief42 » Logged

Masturcief42

lol I'm teh mastur cief!

« Reply #201 on: September 06, 2012, 09:45:58 PM »

Put epoxy on one side. Can't wait for it to be finished. Could anyone answer my current questions?

torukmakto4

Inhuman Resistance

« Reply #202 on: September 06, 2012, 10:29:23 PM »

Alright, few last things. Is your motor stock, if not what kind? I plan on using 18v (current setup) for both so will I need a spring like yours? If so how can I get one? Anything else I really need to know?
Also, I have been having a weird problem where it will work normaly but when I stp pulling the trigger it stops, even if it is midway. Any ideas?
Edit: here is a longstrike spring left and element spring right for comparison.
And one last question, what secondary do you use with your pede, assuming it is your primariy.

Oh, sorry. I never saw that post even though I check all the time. My notification must have been nommed by the zombies.

Motor on mine is stock 360PH.

I'm not sure what the 18v power setup is. If it's alkaline, it may not be able to provide enough current to even pull the springs we are talking about for the pede. Generally, alkaline is limited to low-end springs unless you have huge cells and a very large and heavy pack.

You can get Everbilt springs at Home Depot in some areas.

Your trigger group problem sounds like the cycle switch isn't "feeling"/following the bolt for whatever reason. The tip of the rocker (white) may be damaged.

Element spring may work although I would be careful. That looks like one of those odd springs I was talking about. Just be sure it won't go solid (note the track in the swarmy's receiver where that lug runs, and make sure the plunger can get all the way back). For reference, a later stock NF spring looks like the swarmy stock spring with about 2 more coils worth of length, same pitch and thicker wire. If that is what you have, you are good to go.

My usual secondary is a swarmpistol.

CT-2406

Masturcief42

lol I'm teh mastur cief!

« Reply #203 on: September 06, 2012, 10:42:19 PM »

Oh, sorry. I never saw that post even though I check all the time. My notification must have been nommed by the zombies.

Motor on mine is stock 360PH.

I'm not sure what the 18v power setup is. If it's alkaline, it may not be able to provide enough current to even pull the springs we are talking about for the pede. Generally, alkaline is limited to low-end springs unless you have huge cells and a very large and heavy pack.

You can get Everbilt springs at Home Depot in some areas.

Your trigger group problem sounds like the cycle switch isn't "feeling"/following the bolt for whatever reason. The tip of the rocker (white) may be damaged.

Element spring may work although I would be careful. That looks like one of those odd springs I was talking about. Just be sure it won't go solid (note the track in the swarmy's receiver where that lug runs, and make sure the plunger can get all the way back). For reference, a later stock NF spring looks like the swarmy stock spring with about 2 more coils worth of length, same pitch and thicker wire. If that is what you have, you are good to go.

My usual secondary is a swarmpistol.
one last question: how can I repay you for taking the time and effort for answering all my questions?

torukmakto4

Inhuman Resistance

« Reply #204 on: September 06, 2012, 11:43:09 PM »

Oh, that's not a problem. I have always been willing to help out a fellow human.

CT-2406

Masturcief42

lol I'm teh mastur cief!

« Reply #205 on: September 07, 2012, 11:21:05 PM »

Oh, that's not a problem. I have always been willing to help out a fellow human.
Do you accept commissions?

torukmakto4

Inhuman Resistance

« Reply #206 on: September 08, 2012, 05:56:19 PM »

Do you accept commissions?

I may in the future. There would be a lot to figure out before I go down that road. I also have a lot of work coming my way from local players already (mostly squadmates).

CT-2406

Tarnag

« Reply #207 on: September 10, 2012, 09:28:43 PM »

So I have an odd question. If I were to mount a blowgun inside of a Recon light (removing the internals of it and putting the pvc through it), would it raise it up enough over the tac rails on a Lumitron/Praxis to have it clear the attachment point for the sling? Any insight into this would help me greatly!
Vigilante
* Game Organizer

« Reply #208 on: September 20, 2012, 10:58:57 PM »

I'm trying to mod my Stampede, and right now I'm on the power part. I'm going for 4 AA batteries for about 16.8v of power. Can someone link me to some battery holders that will work for it, preferably from Radio Shack? Or DX.com, it's just that Radio Shack is closer to me.

Will this one work?
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062253

Or maybe this one? I have 4 AA to D battery converters.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062243

Or if the above wiring doesn't reach the necessary ends, will this work?
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062241
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 11:01:22 PM by Vigilante » Logged

Camarillo, CA Summer 2011 Last Ten Survivor Group, Medal of Honor Winner, Runner up in MVP Fan Voting
Camarillo, CA Summer 2012 Last Five Survivor Group, 2nd runner up in MVP Fan Voting
Camarillo, CA Winter 2012 Games Organizer
Camarillo, CA Summer 2013 Moderator
http://basicnerf.com/
teek42

BLITZ squad organizer

« Reply #209 on: September 20, 2012, 11:59:49 PM »

I'm trying to mod my Stampede, and right now I'm on the power part. I'm going for 4 AA batteries for about 16.8v of power. Can someone link me to some battery holders that will work for it, preferably from Radio Shack? Or DX.com, it's just that Radio Shack is closer to me.

Will this one work?
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062253

Or maybe this one? I have 4 AA to D battery converters.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062243

Or if the above wiring doesn't reach the necessary ends, will this work?
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062241
Im assuming by "AA" you mean aa sized trustfires? Just get the (or a few) 4 AA cell holders from radioshack and some 9v battery connectors to wire it in. Unless you just really want to use the stock battery tray for some reason you dont really need the AA to D converters.

Primary: SMG rapidstrike, MG rapidstrike, carnivore stampede, or Ertl pump action shotgun.
Secondary: Top rail blowgun (if applicable), sometimes a tetrastrike.
NnStar molle vest with paintball pod holsters and assorted pouches. Blue camo btu's.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.