October 17, 2017, 03:43:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running a middle school game?  (Read 6853 times)
EnigmaticTwinky

« on: January 07, 2011, 11:20:56 PM »

Name's Twinky, and I'm twelve years old. Lately I've been having an idea of running a 48-hour HvZ game at my school. My school is more or less perfect for a game, being one of the older private schools that's around the same size as a medium-sized college (not including dorms). I've already asked the headmaster about it, and surprisingly enough, she seemed enthusiastic about it, even allowing the Nerf blasters. She said that if I was able to gather enough players, outline how it would go a bit more, and provided an example of a high-school game, we could run a game on campus.
So far, here's my layout of how it would go:

A team of 5 mods (Me, and a couple of friends that are keen on the idea)
Game takes place over the course of 24 hours, 48 at best.
Game is hosted on a weekend, or a break term, I.E. spring break.
Use a slightly modified version of the Goucher rules.
Stun period is shortened to 10 min.
It takes 4 touches for a tag, 2 making a player incapacitated, lying on the ground using their secondary, can be "healed" by a
designated medic, but 2 more hits turns them into a zombie.
Medics have a "defibrillator" (cardboard box with a red cross on it) instead of a melee.
Melees are either bayonets, or stand-alone weapons.
There are different "classes": Assault is the standard 3-slot loadout, Heavy Weapons gets to have another ranged weapon instead of a melee, Medic gets a defibrillator, etc.
Painted or modded guns are not allowed without checking with the head mod (me).
Players would stay on campus, bringing sleeping bags to stay in safe zones.
Teachers can opt in and out of whether or not their classroom is a play area.
Teacher volunteers would oversee the event.
Humans are allowed three weapons maximum, dualies counting as one, and one melee. I.E. Recon, dual Nitefinders, Nerf sword.
The rule of asshat: Be an asshat- gun whipping, calling darts "bullets", lying about being tagged, arguing with a mod, etc.- grounds for immediate banning.

So, I'm coming here for help from the community- whether it be tweaking the rules, checking with the establishment, etc. If anyone could give some advice, it would be greatly appreciated.  
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 06:39:01 PM by EnigmaticTwinky » Logged

Codename: TheEnigmaticTwinky
Squad Role: Sniper/Medic
Primary: "The Oxymoron", pump-action Longshot with range mods & iron-sight hacked off of a Deploy
Secondary: "Verb", modded clip-fed Barricade
Melee/Equipment: Defibrillator
Newbs
* Game Organizer

You've got red on you

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 08:03:20 AM »

Seems to me that your rules are way in favour of the humans. Just play it so that 1 tag is a kill. Humans have enough of an advantage as it is. You don't want your zombies to just rage quit because its so darn difficult to get a kill.

Loadout
Primary: Berserker, centre barrel rebarrelled to take darts.
Secondary: Rebarrelled Big Salvo to take darts / Barricade (stock).
Sidearm: Badly Well rebarrelled Element (fixed it! Cheesy ).
EnigmaticTwinky

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 06:39:16 PM »

Seems to me that your rules are way in favour of the humans. Just play it so that 1 tag is a kill. Humans have enough of an advantage as it is. You don't want your zombies to just rage quit because its so darn difficult to get a kill.

Thanks, edited.

Codename: TheEnigmaticTwinky
Squad Role: Sniper/Medic
Primary: "The Oxymoron", pump-action Longshot with range mods & iron-sight hacked off of a Deploy
Secondary: "Verb", modded clip-fed Barricade
Melee/Equipment: Defibrillator
Newbs
* Game Organizer

You've got red on you

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 07:11:34 PM »

4 tags still seems like too many. I guess you don't know how something's gonna work out till you've played it though. Your best bet would be to try to play a game with your rules as they are, and change them as necessary. You don't know if somethings gonna work until you've tried it!

Loadout
Primary: Berserker, centre barrel rebarrelled to take darts.
Secondary: Rebarrelled Big Salvo to take darts / Barricade (stock).
Sidearm: Badly Well rebarrelled Element (fixed it! Cheesy ).
Dyslexda
* Game Organizer

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 02:56:41 PM »

Wait, 4 tags is an edit? Hate to see what it was at before...You'll have problems with that, not only because it's incredibly unfair to the zombies, but because it'll be almost impossible to keep track of.

"Human, you're supposed to be on the ground; I tagged you twice!" "No, you only got me once!"

KISS: Keep it simple, stupid.

Also, don't confine players to classes; let them do their own thing. For your first game, just do a nice, simple game; save the fancy stuff until after you've cut your teeth a bit.

Hunting Grounds: Truman State University, Kirksville, MO

The Five Commandments:
1.) Don't Be Stupid
2.) Don't Get It Banned
3.) Don't Be A Dick
4.) Have Fun
5.) Play Like You've Got A Pair
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.