August 22, 2017, 06:35:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: UNC Chapel Hill Resources for Others  (Read 11401 times)
Aubron Wood
* Game Organizer

« on: January 26, 2011, 06:08:46 PM »

Hello! UNC Chapel Hill administrator Aubron Wood, providing you with the "your eyes only" documents we took with us to our meeting with the Chapel Hill Public Safety department! Following these rules helped make sure that the meeting went smoothly, and we ended up with a positive result.

UNC Public Safety Meeting
Your Eyes Only
October 12th, 2010

This meeting is very political. This is important to remember. What these people are worried about is not actually the safety of the public, as much as they’re protecting the PR of their department. The chance of someone getting hurt during this game of socks and darts is minimal. Even if someone gets hurt, it would be minor, and the school has enough waivers on us to ensure there’s no legal threat. You can tell this because they aren’t fighting to stop the game; they’re fighting to remove the nerf blasters. Why are they important? I find it no more likely that they’ll hurt anyone. The problem is recognition. Some member of the community thinks someone has a gun, makes a scene or calls the police. Does that person have any more right to sue? No, “he scared me” won’t stand up in the court of law. What they’re afraid of is someone’s going to get scared, and after everything is said and done the media will grab it and blow it out of proportion and make both they and the school look bad. “Campus Wide scare at UNC by student carrying firearm facsimile”, I can see it already. What we’re here to do is reassure these people, make friends with them, and most importantly make them trust us. From that trust, we can reassure them that this is not a shitstorm waiting to happen, and that if anything were to happen, they aren’t in the line of fire.

That being said, everyone needs to be friendly. Aggression is never going to help here, because this is a discussion in which they have 100% of the power. They can close up to us today and just say “no”, and we can’t do a thing about it. This may be a bad comparison, but I compare this meeting to Inception. If we force this idea upon them, they’ll reject it. What we have to do is logically plant the seeds for them, and hope they reach our preferred conclusion themselves. What follows are my opinions on how to best handle this.

General Thoughts:

-Don’t interrupt. After a point is stated, we’ll go through a set order of responding to it. We’ll decide this before the meeting. (Captain asks us a question: one person answers first, motions to the next, motions to the last. Same thing after we bring up a counter argument, or when we talk about the game, one of us talks first, motions to the next, motions to the last, motions back to the other 2 to make sure there are no more talking points. If we get interrupted, we sit back and listen, respond to him first, and then decide whether to go back to the old point. ORDER IS AUBRON, NICK, LUCAS.)

Exaggerate Intelligently - We’re playing politics today, and that means we can lie like a politician if necessary. If you think lying is helpful, make sure it’s not something that can be checked or caught. Inherently, in cases where something could be detrimental but unnecessary, keep away from mentioning it. (Example: Big Nerf blasters will be hard to store in a bag. We just don’t bring this up, and say that all blasters have to be stored at all times in academic buildings. The chances of it causing a problem are minimal.) Long story short, bullshit is good if you don’t get caught.

Terminology – Keep your words in mind. Although I really don’t think it’ll be a game changer if you slip up, keeping things standard is good. Nerf Blasters is our term; informally refer to them as toys. They fire darts. They are not Air Guns/Pistols; they are spring powered dart launchers. Yes, I know, some of them are actually powered by compressed air. See the part about exaggerating intelligently. Stay away from the word guns. Also, if possible make a point to make talking about real guns sound more menacing, with words like weapons and firearms, to further contrast them with the toys.

Part 1: Talk about the Game

We need to start just by talking about the game. We need to talk about it without giving alternatives, to start. We need to talk about the game, how it works, and we need to describe it as if playing with nerf blasters and socks is the only way to play it. To say “or we could play it without nerf blasters” is shooting ourselves in the foot right out of the gate. Notably, Dean Dean already said something to this effect, but we just move past that. Remember, we aren’t fighting for the blasters yet. Things to focus on:

Leadership Experience – These people are with the police. They value leadership. Point out leadership and teambuilding wherever possible.
Good Introductions – We should introduce each other well, and talk about our experience then.
Other Games – We didn’t make this game. It’s a well-documented game played across the country at legitimate campuses. I should have a list in their packet. Presenting examples should be reassuring to them, especially the examples where nothing went wrong.
Moderation – Wherever possible, plug for the control we as administrators and moderators have over the game. My simple description of the game is “A moderated game of tag.” Why is this? It’s because tag as a game is confrontational, and at times very emotional. The more control we sound like we have over it, the better we sound. Talk about the site (I will), and the strong communication and organizational asset it is. That it keeps things sane.
Going through the rules would be a good LAST thing to do. This is because at some point during this discussion, they’re going to say no to Nerf Blasters, or Gun facsimiles. We need to accept this, and be prepared for this. Then we move to….

Part 2: Nerf Blasters

In their position, they'll likely want to keep discussion to a minimal level, and place it as non-negotiable. This is going to be the most important part of the meeting, definitely the tensest, and the easiest for one statement to back us into a corner. Think before you speak, stop and think if you get flustered in the middle of a statement, and if you have the slightest doubt about what you’re saying, withhold it. The first and crucial part of this is getting them to give us reasons why they can’t allow Nerf Blasters. If we don’t do this, we touch on all the potential reasons below, and then go to compromise. Until we reach that point however, we should hold our ground and not except a simple “no” for an answer. The key is that if we can get them to give us logical reasons why Nerf isn’t allowed, we can tackle those individually. We will have a hard time tackling a “no”. Keep in mind that they might come up with reasons to keep from admitting that they’re afraid of their own PR, but that we should remember their main motivation is to preserve the name of the University and their departments. What follows are some potential paths and angles I think they’ll try to take, and my thoughts on our best shots at countering them.

Misrecognition

We should expect them to bring this up. It’s the hardest thing for us to fight, but it is very possible. They’re worried that someone will see one of our players carrying a nerf blaster, think it’s a firearm, and then either freak or call the police. What’s important then is to try and draw a line that, given the nature of the Nerf Blasters themselves, combined with the steps we take to counteract the problem, misrecognition is a non-issue.

Dissimilar by Nature

This is our first stab at breaking this defense. Lucas, this will be when we need to, with their permission, present the example you brought with you. There are key points we need to go on here. The first is that we are restricting the toys allowed in the game to the Nerf and Buzz Bee lines of dart launchers. We need to point out that both of these companies have in their founding policies to never create a toy which could “reasonably be mistaken for an actual weapon” and always follow the orange tip rule. The next thing we need to go on is that the rules decisively state that the blaster be unmodified, and unpainted. We need to bring up the self-policing nature of the game, the game’s incentive for reporting others, and the site’s aid in automating reporting. Just doing our best here to try and make them understand that a Nerf Blaster is a children’s plaything, and the argument that they’ll be mistaken for real firearms is unfounded. Nicely.

Inform the Public

This follows up on the previous argument. On top of that, we have a public information campaign ready (make sure they think it hasn’t started yet, showing we respect their authority and implying they contain information on the blasters) to make sure that members of the wider community are aware of the game, and what it implies to players and non-players alike.  We need to bring up flyers and posters, a Daily Tar Heel article informing people (exaggerate intelligently), and a campus-wide email. If they bring up particular cases, act like you’re an expert on that particular event, and say that it was the result of a lack of communication between the local law enforcement, students, and game administrators. Talk more about our avenues of communication. Also, reiterate that all blasters have to be hidden upon entering an academic building.

Banned On Campus

Quite simply, ask them what the particular rule is that bans it on Campus. We’ll have in our packets several sources that contradict that. However, in the event they pull out a legitimate ban, we need to check it (have a laptop), and then move to Part 3 in hopes they’ll bend the ban for us.

Dangerous

Lucas, if possible, just shoot Nick point blank in the eye with it. (I’m joking) (Am I? I’m not sure). Anyway, go back to the unmodified rule, reiterate the rule talking about blasters can’t be dangerous, and point out that neither of them create toys that are capable of hurting people in a reasonable situation out of fear of being sued.

“Out of our hands”

Basically, he says “I’d like to help you, but it’s not my decision” (Like Dean Dean did). Similar to the banned on Campus defense, question them about what it is that has their hands tied, and if he can help us get an appointment with whoever can help us. Call his bluff.

Part 3: Backpedalling

All is lost, they aren’t going to back down and we know it. It’s damage control now. We know they’ll be fine with just socks, but some Nerf is better than no Nerf. Compromise him to death. Some compromises:

Restrict to Certain Models – We can get their department to confirm a few certain models they’d agree to. This has a good shot.
Restrict to certain hours – Some is better than none.
Restrict to Missions – Some is still better than none.
Blaster Registration – Have a couple of nights at the Pit, make registration stickers, and check the blasters in to make sure they meet guidelines.  It’d be more to police, but oh well.
Move the game back – If this seems like it would help, our date is not concrete.
Give War a Try – Let us try, with the option of removal on first incident. Reiterate our efficient communication means.
I would love to have some kind of order for these, but it depends on where we are at this point. Talking about giving the blasters a try, with the option of removing them upon first incident should be the first thing we bring up. Restricting to Models should be second, unless we really think Blaster Registration would help. Then try and move the game for more discussion time let the game take place on their time, than go to the more severe restrictions.

Last Ditch

Here lies the guilt trip. I don’t want to bring any of these up, because it contradicts trying to be their friends. However, if we have to, we can, as nicely as possible, fall back on these.

Precedent – I’ll have a list of similar games and activities that went on without problem. They’ll be in the other packet. We can point out these as a precedent.

Layin’ On the Guilt – Point out that the reasons other activities get away with these is that they play it risky and don’t contact the official channels. Talk about how there has been very few instances of misrecognition with the game in the country, and that more problems are those in which the administration wasn’t properly contacted, and the game was shut down embarrassingly, and how we want to avoid that. Talk about how we really would like to set up a friendly communication channel between public safety and our players, and we would like to be able to hail them to our large player base as the friendly folks who helped us take this bold step, rather than having to tell them that we’ll have to, in many of our players eyes, “ruin” the game because Public Safety put their foot down on the toys.
Aubron Wood
* Game Organizer

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 06:15:07 PM »

The packet is mostly just reference materials. We made 3 or 4 copies of them to bring with us, and gave them to the officials to look at and refer to when we referenced graphics or statistics. It made us seem very prepared, which is a good thing for these types of meetings.
ritHvZack

Eveyone has HvZ in them, some just dont know it.

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 07:13:23 PM »

Is this a letter that you sent to your school?

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.
-John Quincy Adams
Aubron Wood
* Game Organizer

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 09:24:05 PM »

Certainly not, sending a letter makes it too easy for them to dismiss. These were the notes I distributed to myself and the other 2 people who came with me to our personal meeting with the Head of Chapel Hill public safety on how to conduct the meeting in our favor. No one from the school was to ever see these, thus the "for your eyes only" labeling.
GRANITO
* Game Organizer

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 07:54:29 AM »

Sticky! Did you have this for your first meeting or did you have it after an incident happened? We were actually going to use you guys as an example of a UNC system school that had allowed dart launchers and how we were the largest game in NC until they banned dart launchers and now you guys are the largest. The list of universities that play the game can be found here: http://forums.humansvszombies.org/index.php/topic,2376.0.html. Also, another idea for compromises: Everyone has to paint their dart launcher a specific color so that they can be easily identified as playing the game or not playing the game. For us it'll be blue and gold, for you guys carolina blue (gotta hit that school spirit vibe Tongue).

I totally agree on the no letter/email thing. Nothing should ever be set in writing outside of "we'd like to meet with you." If they ask for something more specific the best tactic is to be as vague as possible hinting at what you mean but not overtly saying it. This way when you walk into the meeting you have plenty of room to negotiate and they can't pin you down as easily. The only problem with this is when there's someone in your mod team who is really nervous about getting in trouble and constantly bends to their whim. If you don't iron things out with them (the way that this internal letter does) they can end up undermining your whole effort.

A player in our game climbed on top of the roof of the financial aid building so the administration got scared and said "you're moving with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air"

Currently a Mod at University of North Carolina at Greensboro (UNCG)
MaxTemkin
* Administrator

One (1) Longshot Tall

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 05:35:56 PM »

This is one of the best documents on challenging a game ban I have ever seen. Thanks for posting - this will help many, many schools in the future!

Deen

Bad Falcon! Lazy!

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 06:50:35 PM »

Due to our government being, well... our government we went the slightly different aproach of down playing everything and simply saying we were going to be playing a game of tag involving nerf blasters, contact us if you have further questions. Got it signed and keeping it safe incase there is ever need to fight them on it, but in your situation and when we get the university here to play it's an excellent document, thank you. I'll make sure all my mods have a copy in their files at all times.
Again, thank you. Smiley

We are grown up now and it's our turn to decide what that means
Aubron Wood
* Game Organizer

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 08:39:24 AM »

Thanks for all the support guys. I came into this in its second year in existence at UNC CH. The first was by a guy with great intentions, but no want to go through a ton of the planning, and it essentially involved only socks, and a very small number of students. I came to it, revamped the PR, expanded the playerbase and made our first initial contact with the administration. I knew our public safety department was pretty nice, so we went to the Dean of Students first, counting on him passing the buck to public safety. This was to our public safety meeting. We currently operate on a model restricted nerf game, our second game starts in March (watch the promo! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0sCb52MKC0 ).
darthjoe229
* Game Organizer

I'm a ninja. The zombies don't even see me coming.

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 12:21:54 AM »

Dissimilar by Nature
We need to point out that both of these companies have in their founding policies to never create a toy which could “reasonably be mistaken for an actual weapon” and always follow the orange tip rule.

Anyone know where that actually is?  I'd like to cite it if possible.

Loadout:  Longshot with AR removal and spring replacement,  Nitefinder with AR removal, Bandolier
Ammo:     6 6 dart clips, 1 12 dart clip, 1 18 dart clip
Others:    Deploy, Tek-6, Tek-4, Retaliator (fully modded and painted)
BluffinMuffin

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 09:53:02 AM »

Anyone know where that actually is?  I'd like to cite it if possible.

I was also wondering this
Raist
* Game Organizer

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 10:21:06 PM »

Excellently put together.

I just got done helping to organize our (likely to become) annual meeting with the local school administration (I am a non-student who plays there often, as well... the game is quite fun). Unfortunately, we had a fairly serious injury last year that was the administration's main focal point of contention.

Loc: Northland College
Roles: Player/Organizer/Moderator
Pri: Stampede, 15V Rechargeable
Sec: Recon with Barrel Extension
steelbrw

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 05:39:34 AM »

Thanks for your sharing. This will definitely help me to exercise my rights. Cool
barbaraH3462

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 09:25:08 PM »

Wow. This is one hell of a letter. It's very professional. I'm sure the receiver changed his mind.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.