April 24, 2017, 11:13:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Zombie Tactics: A Guide  (Read 47910 times)
solmssteinke

« on: February 08, 2011, 12:13:44 AM »

This is the compliment to the Human Tactics Guide started by Markus - largely because it has been brought to my attention the lack of zombie-focused advice there is. Anyone may post here (obviously), and I'll periodically update the first post or create a new one with the updated info.

We start with a basic tenets the casual zed should follow. Anyone else wants to add something, cite which number you want to have modified or added, and put the material with it. I will edit if it is agreed upon as a good tactic.

1. Try not to hunt alone.
- Zeds are at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to encounters with humans. A really good zed can sometimes dodge all the darts in a head-to-head single combat, even the decent ones can ambush a human/take him or her by surprise. But usually in one-on-one combat, the zed will lose. Hence, it is necessary to have at least one other good person with you at all times to either a) provide distraction, or b) get the kill. The advantage of zeds is their numbers...with the ability to never die and convert others to their side, numbers can turn the tide of battle almost every time if done right.

This is all I'm posting for now...feel free to add new numbers or points under a number until I have more time to expand the post.

~SS "Hawk"~

P.S. Thanks to the mods for sticky-ing this.

OWA Edit: Try to avoid coloring your entire post, it makes it difficult to read.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 12:29:52 AM by One Winged Angel » Logged

Title: Redemptor or "Hawk"
School: SUNY Geneseo

Primary: Nerf longshot modified with replacement springs and removed air restrictor
Secondary: Nerf sword, double-bladed
Chevalier Mal Fet
* Game Organizer

PREPARE FOR TROUBLE

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 12:27:22 AM »

Not gonna post here, just saying no worries on the lack of zombie tactics. I've been working up a guide since October, it's about halfway done and is currently 20 singe-spaced pages. n_n Getting to the juicy bits now, I hope to have it done by March.

Om nom, kiddos.

Screw those lists of blasters. Being a zombie is just better.
Bobololo
* Forum Moderator

I Will End You

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 12:31:45 AM »

I've never been a zed except for final stand where I defected (temporary cure was made) however, I have picked up some obvious stuff that every zombie should know.

1. Do not be afraid to charge a human. They are more afraid of you than you are of them.
1b. You cannot die. Only be stunned for a short time. Remember that!
2. Parking lots are your friends (great hiding spots, especially at night)
3. Stalking humans can be fun Cheesy
4. To get the zed numbers up, try to take out people in your dorm hall. The infection will spread fast (One of our dorm buildings was totally infested within 1 day due to the OZ tagging 3 people who were in the hall. 4 floors, many rooms and known as a death trap to any who enter.)
5. Remember, just because you are a zombie doesn't mean the fun is over. Keep playing as hard, if not harder, as you would if you were a human.

Just some basics, but I felt like giving my 2 cents.

@Chevalier: I am very excited to hear what all you got to say. Thank you for the effort and time Smiley

The YouTube Channel
Quote from: Daniel Beaver
You may think it's mean of me to shit all over your creative vision, but rest assured that shit is an awesome fertilizer for the muse of the mind.
Long live the Horsemen and hail Satan.
catbarf

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 05:29:03 PM »

-Exploit field of view. A human in a high-stress situation has roughly a 90 degree field of conscious view, and peripheral vision is drastically weakened.

That group of 20 humans may seem scary, but if you have them surrounded and distracted, realistically only five or so will be able to engage a group attacking from any particular side. Find a weak side and exploit it.

Smaller groups behave similarly. If only one person is watching a side, you only need to cause a jam, attack with more zombies than they have ammo, or attack more quickly than they can fire, and the entire group is dead.

In all these cases, however, you need a cordon of zombies, as detailed below, to keep the humans distracted. A circle of five humans turns into a line of death if you only attack from one side.

-Know how to deal with individuals. The ambush is your best bet- a human who knows he's surrounded or knows what he's doing will rush towards the weakest side and turn your ambush into a chase. I've seen many kills achieved through a simple three-man system- two in front, one to hit from behind.

-Maintain a cordon. People will run, but if you have a circle of zombies waiting for them, they won't escape.

-Use psychological warfare. If just one member of a group of 20 starts to run, the whole group breaks. People stop shooting, and then the humans die. All you need is to appear intimidating enough that one person breaks.

-Be patient. You will respawn, but during those fifteen minutes (especially during missions) a better target could come along. Don't attack when the odds are against you. Yes, you respawn and the humans don't- but a suicide attack results in you being out for fifteen minutes, while the human is inconvenienced for all of ten seconds as he picks up his darts and reloads.

-Know your surroundings and how they change the game. In confined areas, groups are unlikely to panic and can use natural choke points to repel charges. In the open, individuals can run and easily slip out of your grasp. Engage individuals in areas where they cannot run, and engage groups in areas where they cannot defend.

-Identify your targets. A person in a t-shirt with a Maverick and no socks is an excellent target for a small group of zombies. A person in BDUs and camo with a bunch of socks in one hand and a Stampede in the other is likely a more difficult kill, and if your numbers are limited it may be better to let them go so you can find easier prey.

With groups, identify the key elements of resistance. All too often I see zombies charge into the waiting barrels of Raiders and Stampedes, when the other side was defended by little more than a few Mavericks and Nitefinders.
[email protected]
* Game Organizer

Victorious warriors win first, then go to war.

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 12:34:29 AM »

Sig.

also

http://wiki.humansvszombies.org/index.php?title=Prez%27s_Art_of_Zombie_Warfare

Feel free to edit the wiki, if you've got an opinion, strategy, or other reason to write something down.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 12:38:21 AM by [email protected] » Logged

ONU Brain Trust.
Primary: Raider
Secondary: Furyfire
Sidearm: Nightfinder

Zombie Guide http://rapidshare.com/files/412947771/Zombie_guide.docx.html
Make your Zombies a credit to team.
Bobololo
* Forum Moderator

I Will End You

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 01:07:37 AM »

Just finished reading it. Detailed, easy to follow, and just great overall.
Definitely keeping it on my desktop for second and third read-throughs.

The YouTube Channel
Quote from: Daniel Beaver
You may think it's mean of me to shit all over your creative vision, but rest assured that shit is an awesome fertilizer for the muse of the mind.
Long live the Horsemen and hail Satan.
Katyusha

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 02:23:37 PM »

I keep noticing something: people always complain about how some human squads "ruin the game" by being "too militaristic" (which usually seems to mean highly organized and well-disciplined), but zombies are encouraged to operate using an even more militaristic command structure.  If organization and discipline is such a great thing for zombies, why do people seem to be bothered when humans do it?

I realize that sometimes the leaders of "militaristic" human squads can sometimes be douchebags, and that that is the source of some complaints, but that isn't the only thing that I've seen people complaining about.

"Sir, how many darts does this blaster fire per second?"

"all of them"
Dyslexda
* Game Organizer

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 03:03:41 PM »

I keep noticing something: people always complain about how some human squads "ruin the game" by being "too militaristic" (which usually seems to mean highly organized and well-disciplined), but zombies are encouraged to operate using an even more militaristic command structure.  If organization and discipline is such a great thing for zombies, why do people seem to be bothered when humans do it?

I realize that sometimes the leaders of "militaristic" human squads can sometimes be douchebags, and that that is the source of some complaints, but that isn't the only thing that I've seen people complaining about.

Really? I've never really heard of zombie squads going militaristic. Sure, being organized is great; you can't get kills if you're not at least a little organized. I suppose the difference is that the ub3r-paramilitary human squads have a tendency to become elitists, and sometimes actively exclude non-squad members, whereas I've never once seen a zombie squad say no to having another member.

Hunting Grounds: Truman State University, Kirksville, MO

The Five Commandments:
1.) Don't Be Stupid
2.) Don't Get It Banned
3.) Don't Be A Dick
4.) Have Fun
5.) Play Like You've Got A Pair
Chevalier Mal Fet
* Game Organizer

PREPARE FOR TROUBLE

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 02:20:33 PM »

I can talk with some authority about the zombie command structure at Truman, since I'm at the top of it. I can't speak for other schools, but Truman's zombie heirarchy is extremely loose and based more upon charismatic authority rather than any "ranks" or organization. We're organized, sure, but it's ad hoc, and we're certainly not disciplined. Instead, squads are usually formed during a mission for a specific task and given an appointed leader, either a zombie of proven skills and experience or just the dude who happens to have the walky-talky. People are free to ignore the leader as they like, and often do. There's really nothing military at all about zombie organization here, and I would discourage any militaristic trends that did pop up. You're quite correct that militarism is bad for both sides (at least in my opinion).

Om nom, kiddos.

Screw those lists of blasters. Being a zombie is just better.
Ayuka

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 03:18:24 PM »

Like Chevalier, I'm also at the top of the Zombie command, though at UMass Lowell, and we're more of a one commander and a few  other quick squads that can be made and reformed at any time. We're actually working on "Zombie Boot Camp" now, trying to get a few of our key zombies into shape, and way more organized. I'd be tempted to try militaristic organization, if it werent for the fact its supposed to be a game, and most people do their own thing half the time  anyway.  Undecided
      I'm actually surprised though Chevalier, I'm also working on a Zombie playbook, but I don't think it's gonna be finished anywhere around quick as yours. Though, I'm writing not just plays, but what's essential when playing as a zombie, and just what you can do to get more kills and become more organized through the game haha.

Ho! So this is the rampaging "Human anomaly"? What a Joke!
mcknightchris
* Game Organizer

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 11:22:57 PM »

An invaluable piece of equipment for zombies, whether you're in a group or alone, is a set of small binoculars. If used right, you can identify humans from a concealed area/high point before they are even close enough to suspect you.

Semi-retired from HvZ due to leaving TAMU. Hopefully I can make it to some missions and invitationals.

Squad: CDC

Insanity is just another state of mind... lol
catbarf

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 03:19:39 PM »

Opsgear, a military supply store, is selling monoculars for about $12. They're roughly the length of soda cans with about half the radius, so are very portable but still powerful, and are useful for both humans and zombies. The store also has free shipping on orders over $50, so if you need any other gear a decent order will net you free shipping.
imaerehw

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 03:21:00 PM »

Distractions!

The best kill I've had as a zombie was on a 3 year veteran.

I was leaving a class when I noticed him walk out of a building opposite of the one I was coming out of. I decided to follow him, and the stalking went on for about 5 minutes. After I got within 30 feet of him I realized three things.

1. the distance between us was enough to where I could catch him, but only if he didn't see me or hear me.
2. we were both walking on concrete with no soft surfaces to sprint on in sight.
3. to catch this guy, I needed a distraction so I could divert his senses towards something, without drawing his attention to the thud of a dropping backpack and the sound of someone sprinting behind him.

After a minute or so I realized my keys were the perfect distraction. For this to work, I picked a side I was going to attack from, in this case it was the right side. So to distract him, I would throw my keys about 5 feet in front of him and to his left. Once the keys left my hand, I dropped my back pack and started sprinting. I gained about 5 feet when the keys hit the ground.

I started closing in, and i kid you not, the complete confusion of the situation essentially stunned this guy. By diverting his attention and awareness in front of him and to the left, I was able to sprint and tag him from the right, rear side of him.

Never under estimate the power of distraction.
Newbs
* Game Organizer

You've got red on you

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 03:52:57 PM »

Words.
Keys, that is a great idea. I personally don't want to throw my keys around, because it'd be a pain to lose them, but I'm definitely going to put a load of metally things (old keys, random bits of metal, etc) on a keychain so I have something to use if the situation calls for it.

Loadout
Primary: Berserker, centre barrel rebarrelled to take darts.
Secondary: Rebarrelled Big Salvo to take darts / Barricade (stock).
Sidearm: Badly Well rebarrelled Element (fixed it! Cheesy ).
solmssteinke

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 05:15:04 PM »

Seeing as Chevalier has created a comprehensive guide, this thread has no further purpose...

Title: Redemptor or "Hawk"
School: SUNY Geneseo

Primary: Nerf longshot modified with replacement springs and removed air restrictor
Secondary: Nerf sword, double-bladed
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.