November 20, 2017, 01:49:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Zombie Tactics: A Guide  (Read 51373 times)
Kaylex

Pro Zombie Player

« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2012, 10:32:33 PM »

The guy was chill about it and so were we. It was other people not involved who complained. Mods said it was legit as long as there were in fact multiple exits. If there were only one, it would be a rule breaker for our college apparently. It's all good. Smiley As for the term "spawn camping" it was meant to be in reference to sitting right outside of where a human was forced to be. If there was only one exit and absolutely zero chance it was considered a d-bag clause violation.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 10:04:48 PM by Kaylex » Logged
Raist
* Game Organizer

« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2012, 11:04:36 AM »

We call it legit here. I don't think enough people here play First Person Shooters to understand what "spawn camping" is.

In fact, it's always highly entertaining here when someone goes into the library, because the library is the only building on campus with only one usable exit. And everyone knows it.  Grin

Loc: Northland College
Roles: Player/Organizer/Moderator
Pri: Stampede, 15V Rechargeable
Sec: Recon with Barrel Extension
Schrodingersgoldfish

« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2012, 10:24:28 PM »

Mods said it was legit as long as there were in fact multiple exits. If there were only one, it would be a rule breaker for our college apparently. It's all good. Smiley As for the term "spawn camping" it was meant to be in reference to sitting right outside of where a human was forced to be. If there was only one exit and absolutely zero chance it was considered a d-bag clause violation.

This became a huge problem in my school's recent HvZ debut. Rules were mishandled by mods, so that zombies could not be stunned in safe zones. They would stand inside doorways and wait until someone was close enough, hop forward onto play turf and make the tag. I was also killed through spawn camping. I was the third to last survivor, and word got around that I had to help set something up as a part of Student Government. 16 zeds waited for me at the bottom of the only staircase out. I was safe while I worked, but they knew exactly when I would become available and waited by the only exit. I felt pretty douched upon.
Dyslexda
* Game Organizer

« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2012, 10:29:12 PM »

This became a huge problem in my school's recent HvZ debut. Rules were mishandled by mods, so that zombies could not be stunned in safe zones. They would stand inside doorways and wait until someone was close enough, hop forward onto play turf and make the tag. I was also killed through spawn camping. I was the third to last survivor, and word got around that I had to help set something up as a part of Student Government. 16 zeds waited for me at the bottom of the only staircase out. I was safe while I worked, but they knew exactly when I would become available and waited by the only exit. I felt pretty douched upon.

That's the hazard of people knowing your schedule. What would have been fair to you? Should a zombie pretend like he isn't going to know where a human will be? Now, there should be some way to stop zombies from trapdooring (we have quite an extensive ruleset here to prevent that, from allowing one minute stuns inside to preventing tags for five seconds after exiting a door), but there's no reason a zombie shouldn't wait if a human has willingly walked into a trap.

Hunting Grounds: Truman State University, Kirksville, MO

The Five Commandments:
1.) Don't Be Stupid
2.) Don't Get It Banned
3.) Don't Be A Dick
4.) Have Fun
5.) Play Like You've Got A Pair
Schrodingersgoldfish

« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2012, 11:40:03 PM »

That's the hazard of people knowing your schedule. What would have been fair to you? Should a zombie pretend like he isn't going to know where a human will be? Now, there should be some way to stop zombies from trapdooring (we have quite an extensive ruleset here to prevent that, from allowing one minute stuns inside to preventing tags for five seconds after exiting a door), but there's no reason a zombie shouldn't wait if a human has willingly walked into a trap.

Depends on what you define as willingly walking into a trap. It was a required meeting for members of Student Government. It would have been more fair for the horde to have given me at least a little room to stand and fend off a charge. They had me vastly outnumbered, so it would have taken serious zombie incompetence or awesome luck/skill on my part to make it out. As it was, standing on either side of a stairwell meant instant tagging with no ability to run or stun. It wasn't being tagged that was a problem, it was how boring the zombies made it. Just as some humans have a tendency to play things safe and make the game boring, these zeds made one of the final kills of the game something entirely forgettable.
Dyslexda
* Game Organizer

« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2012, 11:54:17 PM »

Depends on what you define as willingly walking into a trap. It was a required meeting for members of Student Government. It would have been more fair for the horde to have given me at least a little room to stand and fend off a charge. They had me vastly outnumbered, so it would have taken serious zombie incompetence or awesome luck/skill on my part to make it out. As it was, standing on either side of a stairwell meant instant tagging with no ability to run or stun. It wasn't being tagged that was a problem, it was how boring the zombies made it. Just as some humans have a tendency to play things safe and make the game boring, these zeds made one of the final kills of the game something entirely forgettable.

And that's the price you pay. You aren't excepted from obligations outside of HvZ during the game. If something you need to do ends up getting you killed, then it's time to enjoy the horde!

The Five Commandments:
1.) Don't Be Stupid
2.) Don't Get It Banned
3.) Don't Be A Dick
4.) Have Fun
Schrodingersgoldfish

« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2012, 12:00:31 AM »

And that's the price you pay. You aren't excepted from obligations outside of HvZ during the game. If something you need to do ends up getting you killed, then it's time to enjoy the horde!

That's the thing. I don't resent being tagged. I resent the way it was done. No sportsmanship on behalf of the zombies.
I didn't need to survive, I just wanted to have fun dying. Why are we playing the game? To give ourselves certain victory?
No, we play the game to make challenges for ourselves and make stories. These zombies missed the entire spirit of the game.

Let it be known that I didn't even get to have fun being a zombie, because The two remaining players were tagged while I was in morning class.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 12:15:02 AM by Schrodingersgoldfish » Logged
JPRoth1980

« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2012, 01:24:33 PM »

Something that I understand (but don't really agree with) that is done at TAMU is allowing players to not be in game when they do not have time or are required to be somewhere.  From what I understand, it was implemented to help with casual players and those who are in a hurry to get to a test/job/activity/etc., but I cannot help but think it would be abused in situations like the one you described.

And really, the horde is more fun while it is growing.  Once the number of humans has been greatly reduced, being a zed isn't all that much fun in my eyes.  Wink
Dyslexda
* Game Organizer

« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2012, 04:38:59 PM »

Something that I understand (but don't really agree with) that is done at TAMU is allowing players to not be in game when they do not have time or are required to be somewhere.  From what I understand, it was implemented to help with casual players and those who are in a hurry to get to a test/job/activity/etc., but I cannot help but think it would be abused in situations like the one you described.

And really, the horde is more fun while it is growing.  Once the number of humans has been greatly reduced, being a zed isn't all that much fun in my eyes.  Wink

The entire point of the game is that you continue with your normal life, with the added threat of zombies. If someone could take the bandanna off whenever they wanted, you might as well just have a game with missions only and no day-to-day play.

The Five Commandments:
1.) Don't Be Stupid
2.) Don't Get It Banned
3.) Don't Be A Dick
4.) Have Fun
ilikefish58

« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2012, 07:48:43 PM »

I'm fairly certain that rule is mostly for tests and/or emergency situations. Since one of the marquee games every semester at TAMU is during "Undead week" or the week "before" finals, there is always one day of finals (Friday) during the game. As far as I know, this rule isn't really talked about and certainly not encouraged. Just there so some kids wouldn't get too crazy into it and fail some finals over it. It is just a game after all.

The entire point of the game is that you continue with your normal life, with the added threat of zombies. If someone could take the bandanna off whenever they wanted, you might as well just have a game with missions only and no day-to-day play.

Part of the issue at TAMU is that its a relatively small game on one of the largest campuses in the country. Almost all the action occurs in missions anyway since the sheer size makes it improbable to even see any other players. This isn't an excuse, however, and as I tried to explain above, players are not allowed to just take off their bandanna whenever they want.

The student government meeting would not have applied to that rule and any attempt to be out of play going to and/or from it would have been quite frowned upon and met with some sort of warning or I guess "disciplinary action". I don't really know because it never really happens.

I understand the issue in question though. Zombies camping the only exit with a large horde and not at least giving the human a final stand is not fun, not in the spirit of the game, and quite frankly, cowardly. This coming from a very Pro-zombie player.

Trying to keep the Blogspot updated in 2013.

Everybody poops
Argurotox

« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2013, 05:09:32 PM »

In our game we call this sort of situation a "Siege". Historically, when these are called, it means Zombies can no longer enter the sieged safe zone, and humans, if they leave, may not return. However, it has led to long, (4 hour +) standoffs where humans simply stay inside, because the Zs are on the very edge of the play zone, so the humans would have to literally stand on the zombie to be able to score stuns.

To address this, we're now applying a time limit of varying length to Sieges. At the end of this time limit, mods declare a distance (2-5m, depending on building) from the edge of the Safe Zone which zombies may not enter. Humans may leave the safe zone into this space, and then fire from it to secure their exit, but may not return to the SZ once committing. If humans choose to ignore this opportunity, they lose the siege, and are zombified...!

Extreme, but we'll see how it goes.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.