March 29, 2017, 11:05:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28
  Print  
Author Topic: New Vortex Line  (Read 61985 times)
mcknightchris
* Game Organizer

« on: April 11, 2011, 11:36:00 AM »

What do you think? I say they will be fairly useless outdoors, but for indoor stuff they could be good.

Semi-retired from HvZ due to leaving TAMU. Hopefully I can make it to some missions and invitationals.

Squad: CDC

Insanity is just another state of mind... lol
USF_Rattler

SEMPER PARATUS

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 12:03:21 PM »

Not impressed.
I remember having a toy gun very similar to this when I was a kid. It used had a stack of about 25 discs, and used batteries to shoot them, about 30-40 feet (indoors).  Even inside they were very inaccuarate and slow moving.  If the Vortex line is anything like it, it will not be good for HVZ (unless maybe you are in close range fighting a large horde force, and just need to fire everything).
Hopefully, this doesn't mean Nerf is stopping the N-Strike line, cause I think that will still be the first choice for weapons when it comes to HVZ.

University of South Florida
ECHO Squad

Class: Scout
Primary: Raider "Canebrake"
Secondary: Alpha Trooper "Cottonmouth"
Newbs
* Game Organizer

You've got red on you

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 12:12:44 PM »

I can't see it being useful, but, you never know...

Loadout
Primary: Berserker, centre barrel rebarrelled to take darts.
Secondary: Rebarrelled Big Salvo to take darts / Barricade (stock).
Sidearm: Badly Well rebarrelled Element (fixed it! Cheesy ).
One Winged Angel
* Forum Moderator

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 12:16:32 PM »

I for one, am impressed. The test shot looked only slightly slower than a Nerf dart, but easily flew at least twice as far. A maverick would have struggled to make it to the first row of boxes. Plus, that sounded like some form of plunger system (versus direct-action), so it looks like there will be modability for these.

Quote from: aylatrigger
Explosives aren't really my style.  I prefer thermite.

Quote from: Markus
Well, at least I know I could handle getting shivved in prison now.
gnomeofdoom
* Game Organizer

PVC Warrior

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 12:29:35 PM »

I will withhold true judgment until later once people have been able to get their hands on them, but as of right now I am not in favor. Gimme darts any day (maaaaaybe ballistic balls too under the right conditions)

HvZ Alumni Player -SUNY College at Oneonta // HvZ Moderator and Graduate student - SUNY Binghamton // One day faculty advisor for HvZ at a university???

Weapon: Blowgun:
I've run out of space here to list them, so just go to youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Gnomeofdoom314
Vonpoppm
* Game Organizer

I just want a twinkie.

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 12:36:42 PM »

One possible thing is if you can get them moving fast enough these things may bounce off one zombie and hit another. I know this is probably impossible, but on can dream of a single shot taking out more than one zed, more often than holy shit did you see that kind of moment.

"The Captain"
Oregon State University Mod
Guard of the Raven Commander
Role - Strategist
Primary: Stampede - Schwere Regen
Sidearms: Maverick - Ira
Awards: Killing an Alpha Z'ed, Best Surviving Squad, The I Just Want a Twinkie Award
Omega Scythe
* Game Organizer

So many memes. So little time.

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 12:42:13 PM »

I, for one, don't mind being optimistic; can't hurt, after all.  What I'm more interested in is figuring out what the hell they did to make the disk go that far and shoot so straight....disk blasters I've owned have never been that good.  Intriguing....

"If necessity is the first cousin of invention, explosions are like the weird twice-removed kin with tremendous overbite and the social grace of a mentally deranged chimpanzee at a techno rave."  -Dandelo
Jesse Abram
* Forum Moderator

~I am my own hero.~

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 01:09:47 PM »

Where is this video you all appear to have watched?

I wonder if these disks would be easier to retrieve than darts?

The NoFreakin' Way - www.nofreakinway.weebly.com
mcknightchris
* Game Organizer

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 01:42:22 PM »

Where is this video you all appear to have watched?

I wonder if these disks would be easier to retrieve than darts?

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=hp#!/NerfNation?sk=app_10467688569

Semi-retired from HvZ due to leaving TAMU. Hopefully I can make it to some missions and invitationals.

Squad: CDC

Insanity is just another state of mind... lol
maniac55

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 01:46:50 PM »

I have to agree with most of you. I'm not impressed at all. They look cool but that seems to be about it. I'm holding final judgement till I can see one in person but I have low expectations for the series.  Sad

Training is constant, forever, and always.... be forever vigilant for the enemy is upon us

Primary: "Saint" Long strike
Secondary: "Devil" Raider
Side Arm: "Dirty Harry" Spectre
To Class: "Demon" Recon
Specialty: Stampede, "Bio-hazard" Power Strike
Newbs
* Game Organizer

You've got red on you

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 01:51:06 PM »

After seeing the video, I think these could be quite useful. The disc seemed to go a pretty decent way, and seemed fairly accurate. I don't know how it would fare in the wind though; I imagine the wind would affect these more than darts.

Loadout
Primary: Berserker, centre barrel rebarrelled to take darts.
Secondary: Rebarrelled Big Salvo to take darts / Barricade (stock).
Sidearm: Badly Well rebarrelled Element (fixed it! Cheesy ).
One Winged Angel
* Forum Moderator

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 02:31:05 PM »

If they somehow found a way to impart a spin to these (perhaps relating to the Vortex name?), they'd fly like a frisbee and be much more resistant to the effects of wind. Of course, this is all speculation based off of a grainy 23 second long youtube videy, but still. Based on what I've read so far, this isn't meant to replace foam dart launchers in any way. Hasbro will continue to advance and develop their foam dart blasters.

Quote from: aylatrigger
Explosives aren't really my style.  I prefer thermite.

Quote from: Markus
Well, at least I know I could handle getting shivved in prison now.
Markus

Loves Stampedes a little too much

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 03:48:38 PM »

From the looks of things here are my guesses:

At 0:08- That red one that opened up looks like the equivalent of a Maverick for this blaster.
At 0:10- What's that line near the back? It looks almost like the thing you use to pull the bolt on the Longshot and Vulcan. Also, that round bump on the grey part looks like the motor that spins the disk.
At 0:11- Whats the orange nib on top? Firing control? Motor spin up? Cocking mechanism? Who knows.
At 0:13- If you pause right at the intro you can see more of those red flip opens as well as some other blaster.
At 0:14- In front of where the clip is inserted that looks like a battery pack, but this one is definitely pumped. Does that mean these are mixed electric-spring blasters? Also, that thing looks like the disk launching bastard son of a Recon, a Barricade, and an Alpha Trooper.
At 0:17- You can see those other blasters again here. No idea how many discs will fit into that little one. Also, I just realized how terribly bulky the red one is. The shoulder stocks have some wierd black thing on the end of them, but they're as flimsy as ever.

Also, the voices very clearly say "Vortex Praxis (Practice? It sounded like praxis to me), blaster 1, test shot 1" so at least we know that blasters name, and the hand on the box is clearly holding a handle, so the stampede/raider-esque we saw with the handle is the Nitron.

We should compile a list of possible pros and cons rather than arguing one way or another about it.

Pros:
-A Clip System with at least one stampedesque clip
-Apparent better stock range
-Thinner = more capacity?
-Quieter?

Cons
-Bulkier clips by far
-May not be moddable, or may need different mods
-At least one of them is non-clipfed and also not able to be reloaded while still primed
-May be royally effed by wind
-May fly slower

Huh's
-Are they electric or spring?
-Was that just a lucky shot?
-Accuracy
-Is it just me or did his shot veer to the left?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 04:05:03 PM by Markus » Logged

I can't wait to give more of my money to Justin Timberlake.

OH DEAR GOD MY LOINS!
Ozymandias

I met a survivor from Zombieland...

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 04:05:36 PM »

If this is allowed in HvZ, I could see this being used at schools were your equipment has to be stock.

My main concern, as well as McKnight's, is how wind effects trajectory.

"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Dallas Metroplex, Texas
Bobololo

I Will End You

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 04:19:44 PM »

Wind will really fuck up the trajectory of the discs. Even the mechs used to spin and launch the discs throw the discs off path sometimes (at least with the disc shooting guns I've played with).
I am not very impressed with their decision to go disc based. But, I'll probably buy one just to see how it works and how well it works. Until then, I don't really know how to feel about NERFs decision. Oh well.

The YouTube Channel
Quote from: Daniel Beaver
You may think it's mean of me to shit all over your creative vision, but rest assured that shit is an awesome fertilizer for the muse of the mind.
Long live the Horsemen and hail Satan.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.