July 22, 2014, 07:36:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question..  (Read 1576 times)
Cruz

« on: April 12, 2011, 04:14:00 pm »

I have a question pertaining to hour-3 hr long games or anything close. So I have hosted many HvZ minigames which are like 3 hours of random missions etc. Now I am trying to make an hour long game that is jam packed with stuff.

The question I have is what do mods have players doing inbetween missions? And during multi hour long games, are players always doing missions? Thanks!

Primary: Raider w/mounted blowgun & mounted socks
2ndary: Sharp Shot w/removable carabiner
Dartage: 37 dart drum, 2- 6 dart clips,  25 whistlers
Jesse Abram
* Forum Moderator

~I am my own hero.~

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 04:57:26 pm »

If your not resetting the human/zombie population then put them in a safe zone that can be reached into by the zeds if they keep both feet outside.  Then have the safe zone switch locations every so often.

The NoFreakin' Way - www.nofreakinway.weebly.com
Cruz

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 05:02:27 pm »

Should zombies spawn on satellite time? Like every 1 minute or should they have to count to 30 or something?

Newbs
* Game Organizer

You've got red on you

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 05:29:18 pm »

We play our games so that the missions follow each other. We often have short breaks between missions. The games typically last 4-6 hours with 20-30 people, sometimes we have more than that. We generally have between 4 and 6 missions, and then a final stand if any humans are left. The final stand usually consists of 3 waves, or a "survive for x minutes" type thing. The missions will often continue on from previous ones (ie, one mission could be to collect a sample from the OZ, and then the next is to protect the scientist for a set amount of time so that they can make a cure, antidote, etc). Each mission will usually last between 20 minutes up to an hour. They normally have time limits, so if the objective isn't completed within that time limit, the mission is viewed as being failed. Our zombies respawn after 5 minutes (they are expected to time it themselves, sometimes cheating happens, but this is rare). They can sometimes complete missions to have the timer reduced.

TL;DR In our games, yes, the humans are almost always doing a mission of one kind or another.

Loadout
Primary: Berserker, centre barrel rebarrelled to take darts.
Secondary: Rebarrelled Big Salvo to take darts / Barricade (stock).
Sidearm: Badly Well rebarrelled Element (fixed it! Cheesy ).
DoomManta
* Game Organizer

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 05:53:05 pm »

the way we run them at Rose-Hulman, the humans have a bunch of missions to do (some they have to do, others that are optional). we give zombies a 5-7 minute respawn time (all by honor system, and we havn't had problems with cheaters). if the humans finish their missions early, good for them, but we don't give any safe zones, so if they finish early, they bunker down and inevitably get found and swarmed by the zombies.

basically the same as the way Newbs said (with no safe zones).
Newbs
* Game Organizer

You've got red on you

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 06:42:09 pm »

Yeah, I forgot to mention, we don't have safe zones. Its pretty much an unsaid rule that when the missions are being given out, you don't tag or fire at anyone.

Loadout
Cruz

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 07:30:05 pm »

Do you guys have one big mass of humans or do you have squads?

Jesse Abram
* Forum Moderator

~I am my own hero.~

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 08:45:57 pm »

The Truman Invitational effectively broke everyone up into squads for the first few missions to give the zombies a chance at overwhelming smaller groups.  It worked fairly well.  The squads, each accompanied loosely by a mod, had to stay separate, because if the modz got too close then they became zombie spawn points. 

Zombie spawn points work really well when they are strategically placed.  Then you have respawns at regular intervals, say every 10 minutes, ex. 7:00, 7:10, 7:20.  Then any zombie on the respawn point when the clock his that interval comes back to life.  With this system, ideally the zombies will rush the humans at 7:08, hurry back to spawn point, respawn at 7:10, then hurry back to harry the humans until 7:18 when they charge again.  The idea is spend as much time near the humans as possible, because you never know when the opportunity for a kill will come and the humans never get to relax.

Cruz

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 10:09:29 pm »

The Truman Invitational effectively broke everyone up into squads for the first few missions to give the zombies a chance at overwhelming smaller groups.  It worked fairly well.  The squads, each accompanied loosely by a mod, had to stay separate, because if the modz got too close then they became zombie spawn points. 

Thanks for your feedback but I do have a question. When the humans were broken up into squads and accompanied by a mod, what did they do? Were all human squads doing missions separately? Or were they just wandering around? Tongue

mcknightchris

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 11:21:13 pm »

Thanks for your feedback but I do have a question. When the humans were broken up into squads and accompanied by a mod, what did they do? Were all human squads doing missions separately? Or were they just wandering around? Tongue

We all had the same mission, but had to complete it individually. Given the fact that there were fewer objectives than squads, they either counted on a squad dying or had some sort of punishment for the squad that failed the mission.

Semi-retired from HvZ due to leaving TAMU. Hopefully I can make it to some missions and invitationals.

Squad: CDC

Insanity is just another state of mind... lol
Newbs
* Game Organizer

You've got red on you

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 05:27:47 am »

We have several squads of humans to start off with, usually with 4-7 people per squad. Sometimes, they'll have different missions. Sometimes, they'll have the same mission and need to work together. Sometimes, they'll have the same mission, but each squad needs to complete it individually.
Between missions, squads tend to hang around in one large mass and, generally resorted, so that if one squad has been almost completely killed, they disband and join other squads.
Near to the end of the game, the humans tend to form one massive clump during missions.

Loadout
Jesse Abram
* Forum Moderator

~I am my own hero.~

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 02:03:24 pm »

Adding to McKnights reply, it was all part of the same mission, with various retrievable objects scattered around campus for the first mission.  The squads went in different directions to start and ended up running into each other as the objectives were retrieved.

Mission 2 had four(?) positions to defend so each squad took one.  At this point the zombies numbered 30 or 40 and the squads each had about 30-40  (maybe overestimating both, but you get the idea).  Someone was bound to be overrun by the Horde.

Cruz

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 03:16:12 pm »

Jesse, for the mission where you had 4 squads defend 4 locations, what happened if one squad failed to defend an area? Like it got overun and "destroyed" or something? I did a similar mission but the squads all went to one location and didn't care about the other ones. They figured they only had to save one to pass the mission.

Jesse Abram
* Forum Moderator

~I am my own hero.~

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 03:42:09 pm »

There were different set-backs depending on how many you lost, probably more objectives to complete forthwith or a longer hold-out time during a later mission.  If you have to make it to five points in 45 minutes instead of four or three that could definitely make future missions challenging.

I was killed during this mission, so I'm not sure how the other missions went for the humans.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.