April 30, 2017, 10:30:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Resources to get your game back!  (Read 14563 times)
ritHvZack

Eveyone has HvZ in them, some just dont know it.

« on: October 13, 2008, 01:31:08 AM »

I would like to compile a list of resources that you might be able to use when your game gets shut down.  Basically some data, letters, newspaper articles, or videos that talk about the finer points of HvZ.  Please use them to as an aid to convince your nay-sayers that HvZ is great.

If you have anything to add to this list, as this will be a living document, I urge you to post here and I will update this post

DON'T FORGET: We are here to help with any problems your school gives you.  Please do not just read this post and tackle your administration on your own.

Resources are back up and added to the wiki, enjoy.

• Letter1 - A great letter written by a student from Goucher
  • Letter2 - Another letter written by University of Pittsburgh game admin(?) for the purpose of helping people get they're game back.
  • Memo from UNC Chapel Hill - A strategy memo on talking to school officials about challenging a game ban
  • USA Today - An article in USA Today.  Sure it doesn't really have anything that geat to say about us, but it quotes me and its in USA Today!
  • Boston Globe - An article in Boston Globe with a lot of great things to say.  Also I think its written by a professor
  • documentary  - The Goucher documentary.  A solid piece of information, long, but solid.
  • Game Guide - This source is more helpful before your game gets messed up; however, there is a section at the end about dealing with game bans
  • Helpfull Thread - This thread has a lot of good answers to questions that your school might ask when you are in a meeting with them.
  • Facts - A list of positive HvZ facts (may be outdated at this point)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 01:25:30 PM by ritHvZack » Logged

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.
-John Quincy Adams
MaxTemkin
* Administrator

One (1) Longshot Tall

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 12:40:51 PM »

Great thread - thanks for putting this together.

Eventually I'd like to adapt some of the grassroots web applications that we use on the Obama campaign to mobilize HvZ players to respond en masse to administrators who ban the game.

Here's my advice:

1. The most important thing you can do to protect your game is to inform administrators about it IN ADVANCE. Give them full disclosure, but also know your rights. Most schools have rules that protect student activities like HvZ.

2. Operate independently. If you accept no money and have no official position within the school, it is more difficult for the administration to shut you down. Obviously exceptions are required sometimes. For example, some schools don't allow you hang posters unless you're an official club.

3. Aim high within the administration. At Goucher, our strongest ally is the President of our college, Sandy Ungar. When administrators have been on our case, he has protected us. Take the time to get to know people in your administration, and know who your friends are. Be ready to call in backup.

4. Know what cards you hold when you approach the bargaining table. At Goucher, when our game was in trouble, we basically sat down and said, "Look, we are in compliance with all school rules, local, state  and federal laws. The press is watching this game. What are you prepared to do? Write us all up? Expel us?"

5. Make compromises - what is the nature of the administrator's concern? Is it the guns? Make sure they brightly colored. Is it public fear? Hold a town hall meeting. Is it the school's reputation? Show them the press coverage. Are they talking about respect for soldiers? Show them the letter by Lizz Floro. Are they concerned about Virginia Tech? Ask them how the game connects to the shooting, and call them on their reactionary political correctness.

6. Most game challenges are based in ignorance. Like many attempts at censorship, often people who don't like the game don't know anything about it. This is like someone trying to ban a book who has never read it. Make sure these people see the press coverage, the Washington Post article is excellent. My documentary is pretty good, if I do say so myself.

REMEMBER: What you have to argue for is NOT the HvZ game. To achieve success, you must make the broader case for individual liberties.

Now finally, a few tricks that we've pulled to take control of meetings about HvZ.

- Once at a meeting to discuss the use of Nerf guns at Goucher, we gift-wrapped three Mavericks and addressed them to the administrators' inner children. Once they saw these guns as toys, it deflated the argument that they were frightening weapons. Combat fear with humor - it is downright silly to be afraid of a toy gun.

- Another meeting we had was a serious, closed-door discussion with the college president and other administrators. They invited myself and the three other Goucher mods, but we, in turn, invited every player of our game. When the administrators showed up to the meeting, there were fifty kids waiting outside their office. The players waited outside, quietly and respectfully, and gave the administrators a vigorous round of applause after the meeting. Make them confront the popularity of the game.

- Make some friends at your school paper. Find a reporter who is very sympathetic to the game, and just ask them to sit outside of the meeting with a notepad. Administrators will notice the press and be thrown off their game Your goal is to make it clear to them that they are taking unjust actions, and create doubt in the righteousness of their cause.

Don't spend your time defending Hvz - HvZ is just a silly game. What is worth defending, and what you CAN defend, are your individual liberties on campus as a student. Once you have your rights, it is a foregone conclusion that HvZ will be protected.

Protagonistics

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 11:13:38 AM »

Hmm, would it be supportive or spammy and annoying if there were people who signed up from the forums to e-mail 'letters of support' to the appropriate administrators at schools making things difficult for the game?

Just an idea.
boblk3
* Game Organizer

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 01:24:57 PM »

Hmm, would it be supportive or spammy and annoying if there were people who signed up from the forums to e-mail 'letters of support' to the appropriate administrators at schools making things difficult for the game?

Just an idea.

I think it would be an amazing idea. I think it was Shane who said something earlier about how it's better to go in with the letters all at once them have them trickling in. If Mod's had a database of letters to pull from based on the specific objections raised against them it would be an awesome tool. I mean how overwhelming would it be for an admin who says "HvZ is disrespectful to soldiers" to read 10 letters like Lizz's.

I just have to admit that there is a ridiculous amount of support here from people all over the country and of varying backgrounds that I never expected would be present. It'd be a good idea to know how to use that when necessary. So thank you for this thread.
Cweed
* Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 11:53:56 PM »

This sounds like something we could use the wiki for.  I haven't had too much time to work on it, and it's pretty bare-bones right now.  I like the idea of having a section for letters, which could tie into a "how to get your game played" section, listing common complaints and the letters that address them.
AlexSilber
* Game Organizer

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 01:29:43 PM »

I also recommend talking with the campus police (if applicable) and the student government. If you can get them to join your side, the school administration may be more willing to listen.
D-Mo

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 11:48:02 AM »

One word of advice that I would like to offer that I have not seen much of is that if the administration is on the fence with HvZ you could try to make at least one game a year require or have a voluntary entry fee (that gives perks like being able to take an extra hit) and then giving 100% of that fee to the College/University or even a charity fund so that the administration views the game as being productive and/or a benefit to society, rather than the nuisance to the student body and a disruption of campus activities (which the negative media tries to portray it as).  Furthermore when asked about the game the institution can rightfully claim that it is for a good cause.

-Weapon Layout-

-Primary: Raider

-Secondary: Sawed off Buzz Bee Double-Shot (w/shell holder on side)

-Sidearm: Nite Finder (AR removed, gutted the laser, and added LED light on side)
GRANITO
* Game Organizer

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 06:16:16 PM »

I just realized... we can ask NERF for legal advice! I sent them an email asking what the legal status of "NERF launchers" is in North Carolina. I also sent them a link to the university weapons policy to see if "nerf launchers" are covered by it. They sent me a message back asking to hold on while they ask their legal department! This could really help our cause and the cause of other schools looking to get their "nerf launchers" back.

(I'm trying to get in the habit of saying nerf launcher for when I go talk to the administration here)

A player in our game climbed on top of the roof of the financial aid building so the administration got scared and said "you're moving with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air"

Currently a Mod at University of North Carolina at Greensboro (UNCG)
Cmdrmack

The Kilted Nerfer

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 06:34:32 PM »

Nerf Blaster or dart launcher are both very friendly terms that emphasize that these are toys, not weapons. Darts instead of bullets is also a good call.
Jesse Abram
* Forum Moderator

~I am my own hero.~

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 11:35:34 PM »

Did Granito ever hear back from Nerf?

The NoFreakin' Way - www.nofreakinway.weebly.com
GRANITO
* Game Organizer

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 11:54:46 PM »

Oh man my bad yea this was their reply:
Hi Sebastian,

Thank you for contacting us. We appreciate your interest in our product line.

Regrettably, the information you have requested is not available, please check with your local law enforcement and school administration.

Thank you.
Basically, "we don't want to get in trouble for giving you legal advise so we're just going to cover our ass and say we can't help." It was basically the same response I got from the university lawyer. Disappointing but I guess I should have seen it coming.

A player in our game climbed on top of the roof of the financial aid building so the administration got scared and said "you're moving with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air"

Currently a Mod at University of North Carolina at Greensboro (UNCG)
Jesse Abram
* Forum Moderator

~I am my own hero.~

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2010, 12:58:28 AM »

Yea, that figures.  You'd probably need to pay an attorney to evaluate the policies, but even then, the universities lawyers could just as easily argue against you if it came down to it.  Or they could do like they did at K-State and change existing policies behind students' backs to suit their needs.

The NoFreakin' Way - www.nofreakinway.weebly.com
phillysurvivor

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 07:16:04 PM »

This is a disappointingly short list. Hasn't this been done of a few campuses with more than a 1000 players? Surely they got more publicity. It would be wonderful if the facts page had links to all the articles that mention them.

I'm currently planning a large scale (goal:1000) HvZ in Philadelphia. If all goes well, I'll be able to add quite a bit to this list when the event's over.
ritHvZack

Eveyone has HvZ in them, some just dont know it.

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 11:54:02 AM »

There are tons of other articles out there.  But most of them are a smattering of college papers and what not.  People dont want to read 47 articles written by Journalism minors.  If you want to show off HvZ things like the Boston Globe and USA Today carry much more heft.

I know I could show you 7ish articles from RIT that are o.k. and not super informative.

If you find some more articles that have wow power PM me and ill add it to the list

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.
-John Quincy Adams
barbaraH3462

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, 09:25:50 PM »

The list is kinda long and the process seems tedious but at least there's a way to get a game back.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.