September 26, 2017, 07:07:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: The fruitless search for a Nerf Pinpoint Sight  (Read 8908 times)
Ghost Reporting

« on: June 12, 2011, 08:41:39 AM »

There is only 1 N-Strike item that I want and can't seem to find: the elusive Pinpoint Sight Mission Kit: http://www.hasbro.com/shop/details.cfm?guid=A1840610-19B9-F369-D985-6FB4F8707D67&product_id=25583&src=endeca

Because this particular kit is old and apparently no longer in production, I decided to stake out a Toys 'R Us approximately 50 miles from my location.  With gas prices still high, I normally wouldn't drive that far simply to hunt down an accessory, but it just so happened that I was attending a going away barbecue for a friend in the same town as that Toys 'R Us, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to have a look.

This particular Toys 'R Us is in an aging strip mall.  It had a decrepit atmosphere, with oddly arranged aisles of clearly aged shelving, and piles of toys marked "discount" haphazardly arranged in various locations.  Only a handful of customers browsed the aisles.  A lone grimy checkout line was open, which added to the ghost-town like air of the place.  After a brief walk through the maze of steel shelves and stained tile floor, I found the Nerf/Air Zone section.

As I suspected, there was plenty of old kit at this Toys 'R Us: bags of ballistic balls, dusty boxes of overpriced FuryFire 2 player sets, forlorn EX-6 Action Kit pistols.  This store didn't seem to move much product off the shelves, and it didn't help that almost every weapon seemed to sell for $5 more than you could buy it for at Wal-Mart or Target. 

I dug around every Nerf shelf in the hopes that a Pinpoint Sight might have been overlooked by shoppers in past years, but found nothing in the end.  The search continues.

Currently, only 1 Amazon.com affiliate sells the Pinpoint Sight, and it costs $99.  Forget it!  That is money better saved for the upcoming Vortex blasters.

"Somebody call for an exterminator?"
Primary: Alpha Recon (AT+ Recon stock, sight);  Holdouts: Jolt, socks, foam stress toys;  Undergoing Evaluation: None
Cazzums
* Forum Moderator

Graveyard Shift

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 08:51:25 AM »

mate, i hear these things are soooo rare, they usually go for 100 BUCKS!
i wish you good luck trying to find one of these
http://nerf.wikia.com/wiki/Pinpoint_sight

"See you space cowboy..."
Primary: Minimized Demolisher
Backup: Socks/3' Blowgun
customs21

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 10:49:53 AM »

Personally, I would love you, but I'm in the same boat. You could by q real one for $100, or make one for cheap. But, people want them bad enough, they'll pay for it.

Name: Chris "Rookie" Rook
Squad: Independent
Primary: Modified Stampede
Secondary: unlocked Praxis
Last resort: Jolt

B.A.M.B.I. is dead!

The Youtubes!
Cazzums
* Forum Moderator

Graveyard Shift

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 10:55:19 AM »

for people that really want the real brand thing, maybe sure its worth it for them. otherwise if you liked nerf that much you wouldn't be disobeying them by modding there products now do you?  Wink

RandomShadow09

The Nerfer formerly known as SpectreX

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 11:22:15 AM »

I've got one, which I even had a hard time finding last summer when they were still a current product.  Like you I was enamored with the idea of it, but sadly the reality of the thing isn't impressive.  The only reason to own one is for the cosmetic effect of having it on your blaster, because it's not terribly useful for aiming.  It's just a red LED reflecting off a piece of clear plastic, and it can get hard to see unless you're in perfect light conditions.

The problem with just using it as a cosmetic piece for HvZ is that with the Nerf rails one good bump while you're on the run and you've lost it.

I like it for making my blasters look cool on the shelf when they're not in use, but I would have to say that this is definitely not a good HvZ accessory, and it's certainly not worth $100.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 11:56:02 AM by SpectreX » Logged

Cazzums
* Forum Moderator

Graveyard Shift

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 11:38:08 AM »

lol i know right? i used a barricade stock, yellow LS scope, and 36 drum with my then primary AT and i kept drooping my (cosmetic) scope over and over while we ran, so i chucked that bitch into the woods, but then someone ran after it to keep the damned thing and was eated Undecided

Ghost Reporting

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 12:34:27 PM »

The problem with just using it as a cosmetic piece for HvZ is that with the Nerf rails one good bump while you're on the run and you've lost it.

Does stuff fall off the tactical rails that easily?  I've used the Recon's flip-up sight on my Alpha Trooper in several Nerf battles over the past 3 months, and it's never slipped off.  It clicks into place and stays put, even when the gun is jarred or I dive to the ground.  I don't have any of the heavier attachments so maybe those tend to get loose more easily.

lol i know right? i used a barricade stock, yellow LS scope, and 36 drum with my then primary AT and i kept drooping my (cosmetic) scope over and over while we ran, so i chucked that bitch into the woods, but then someone ran after it to keep the damned thing and was eated Undecided

Hahaha Grin  That sounds like a scene right out of a Zombie flick.  Person gets greedy and tries to get money/items they want, and that overcomes their sense of self-preservation, and then they get killed by Zombies!

Primary: Alpha Recon (AT+ Recon stock, sight);  Holdouts: Jolt, socks, foam stress toys;  Undergoing Evaluation: None
ilikefish58

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 12:45:06 PM »

Does stuff fall off the tactical rails that easily?
Depends. If you paint your blaster, it'll stay. I have the pinpoint on my longshot, and haven't ever had the problem of it falling off because its painted.

I have noticed larger tac rail accessories will fall off of unpainted blasters rather easily though.

About the pinpoint, SpectreX hit it on the head. It looks good, but isn't really all that useful.

Trying to keep the Blogspot updated in 2013.

Everybody poops
shandsgator8

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 01:55:53 PM »

These are hard to find...I got mine a few months ago off Amazon for only like $20.  I don't use it in any wars because it doesn't actually help, but looks oh so cool on my Alpha Trooper and yellow Barricade stock!

I keep mine as a shelf queen!

When they are on eBay as a stand alone item, they shouldn't go for more than $55 or so.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 01:58:29 PM by shandsgator8 » Logged
Ghost Reporting

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 05:26:09 PM »

Depends. If you paint your blaster, it'll stay. I have the pinpoint on my longshot, and haven't ever had the problem of it falling off because its painted.

I have noticed larger tac rail accessories will fall off of unpainted blasters rather easily though.

About the pinpoint, SpectreX hit it on the head. It looks good, but isn't really all that useful.

Oh.  I guess I thought it was useful, based on what I'd read on sgnerf's blog.  Sgnerf seemed to think highly of the accessory.  $55 to $100 is just insane for a tac rail attachment though.  No way I'd ever pay that.

RandomShadow09

The Nerfer formerly known as SpectreX

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 08:03:09 PM »

I wouldn't say that mine would come off easily, but I'm the type of HvZ player that goes all out (and really who on the forums doesn't?), so my blasters tend to take a bit more abuse than others might.

If you're looking for something that will look cool and actually be as functional as a red dot on a Nerf blaster can be, then check out red dot sights that are designed for airsoft guns.  They're made for actual tac rails, so they have screws on them and can be tightened down to stay put.  Those sights also tend to be cheaper than the $50-$100 for the Nerf pinpoint.  I haven't done this myself, but I've seen a couple players with them.

Cazzums
* Forum Moderator

Graveyard Shift

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 08:27:42 PM »

i for one, dont ever use sights/scopes ever for aiming. i use them for aesthetic and just shotgun that bitch.
since darts don't usually go over 100ft. for most blasters, the scope is useless unless the target is within 25ft. but then why have the scope? sights are one thing but i couldn't imagine aiming with a scope.

Akimbo Assassin

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 11:53:57 AM »

If you're looking for something that will look cool and actually be as functional as a red dot on a Nerf blaster can be, then check out red dot sights that are designed for airsoft guns.

Absolutely.

I just don't understand why people still bother wasting all the time and effort searching for this Nerf Pinpoint sight. Get one of those red dot sight from DealExtreme for $20-$30. They are made of black full metal construction. More durable and way more tacticool.

Edited: This is mine on my modded AT:

« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 08:39:44 PM by Akimbo Assassin » Logged
Vigilante
* Game Organizer

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 05:27:40 PM »

Heres my review on it:
http://basicnerf.wordpress.com/2010/09/26/pinpoint-sight-write-up-review/

I wouldn't pay $20 or higher for it. It's cool and nice and all, but not worth that price. It doesn't improve your skills by THAT much.

Camarillo, CA Summer 2011 Last Ten Survivor Group, Medal of Honor Winner, Runner up in MVP Fan Voting
Camarillo, CA Summer 2012 Last Five Survivor Group, 2nd runner up in MVP Fan Voting
Camarillo, CA Winter 2012 Games Organizer
Camarillo, CA Summer 2013 Moderator
http://basicnerf.com/
Linkz

ADTR ftw

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 05:50:48 AM »

Absolutely.

I just don't understand why people still bother wasting all the time and effort searching for this Nerf Pinpoint sight. Get one of those red dot sight from DealExtreme for $20-$30. They are made of black full metal construction. More durable and way more tacticool.

Edited: This is mine on my modded AT:

Very cool. I like it Smiley

Loadout:
Primary: Stampede w/ 35 dart drum
Secondary: MagStrike AS-10
Side arm: Spectre
is it wrong to be excited that the apocalypse wont accomadate such an invention or structure known as a the DMV anymore?? Grin
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.