July 22, 2014, 03:30:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Penn State's Third Invitational!  (Read 10376 times)
Markus

Loves Stampedes a little too much

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 01:28:13 pm »

I might be coming to this invitational, seeing as I'm a senior in High School and flying/driving out from Colorado might be a possibility.

I can't wait to give more of my money to Justin Timberlake.

OH DEAR GOD MY LOINS!
hawkdanop

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 08:53:20 pm »

is there a facebook group or a webpage detailing the event?
Dragon216

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 06:32:53 pm »

Sent an email to [email protected] please get back to me when you can.
Bob McAwesome

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 11:29:03 am »

Just made a long overdue update to the OP. Registration and FAQ are now available.

OZ-PSU Invitational Spring '10
Ghost Reporting

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2012, 09:52:02 pm »

Just made a long overdue update to the OP. Registration and FAQ are now available.

How do the day game rules differ from the standard game rules?

I was reading some of the threads from previous invitationals in 2010 and 2011. 

In 2010, humans numbering 200-250 strong, started out with socks and marshmellows and had to fight through a swarm of ~15 OZ's to get to a box with their blasters (this was Mission #1).  It wasn't entirely clear if the 2011 game followed the same basic format. 

Just from a logistical standpoint, how does one fit hundreds of blasters (and associated magazines/ammunition) into a box, and how does everyone find their stuff once the objective is complete?  What happens to unclaimed stuff for the people who get tagged before the end of the first mission?  I basically have the following concerns:

(1) Possibility of blasters being inadvertently mixed up, or stolen by "bad" humans, lol.
(2) Damage to blasters, particularly modded ones, if they are mixed in with other equipment.
(3) Ammo and magazines being spilled everywhere and having to be sorted out. 

As a rifleman I am instinctively more than a bit finicky about my weapons, whether they are of the real kind, or Nerf blaster. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 10:34:07 pm by Ghost Reporting » Logged

"Somebody call for an exterminator?"
Primary: Alpha Recon (AT+ Recon stock, sight);  Holdouts: Jolt, socks, foam stress toys;  Undergoing Evaluation: None
Chuck

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2012, 01:30:11 pm »

http://www.facebook.com/events/356450104374216/

There's the facebook event.

Post Merge: February 12, 2012, 01:36:39 pm
How do the day game rules differ from the standard game rules?

I was reading some of the threads from previous invitationals in 2010 and 2011. 

In 2010, humans numbering 200-250 strong, started out with socks and marshmellows and had to fight through a swarm of ~15 OZ's to get to a box with their blasters (this was Mission #1).  It wasn't entirely clear if the 2011 game followed the same basic format. 

The 2011 Invitational followed the same format.  Although we nearly doubled our numbers, if not did so, and through that, I think we had 35 OZs.  Humans still had started with socks and marshmallows, and all humans were split into 5 separate squads to start the day.

Just from a logistical standpoint, how does one fit hundreds of blasters (and associated magazines/ammunition) into a box, and how does everyone find their stuff once the objective is complete?  What happens to unclaimed stuff for the people who get tagged before the end of the first mission?  I basically have the following concerns:

(1) Possibility of blasters being inadvertently mixed up, or stolen by "bad" humans, lol.
(2) Damage to blasters, particularly modded ones, if they are mixed in with other equipment.
(3) Ammo and magazines being spilled everywhere and having to be sorted out. 

As a rifleman I am instinctively more than a bit finicky about my weapons, whether they are of the real kind, or Nerf blaster. 

We have -many- boxes, and it's really quite easy when you think about it.  We all find our stuff either by making it to the objective of the first mission, which usually gets you your guns, and, if you were tagged before that, all of the stuff that wasn't collected at the start of the day, will be left with our admins until the end of the day.  We have massive dart collections/gun reclaim/tomfoolery at the end of the day.  There is no possibility of them being stolen as we mark down which guns you had, and I believe we put your name on them with masking tape.  The guns are reclaimed with an admin literally standing right next to you.

Damaged to modded guns is so unlikely to happen, so don't make one made of glass and you're fine.  It's not like we're going to test your guns in the box by throwing them at the ground and saying, "YUP, THEY'RE APPROVED!"

You can carry any ammo you would like to use with you.  It just becomes obsolete as we don't have a policy that allows for humans to throw darts.  (Well, you can, but they won't stun anything).  You can also feel free to leave other ammo with your host/at your hotel room, as we will have two or three major scheduled breaks throughout the day.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 01:36:39 pm by Chuck » Logged
Ghost Reporting

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2012, 02:05:29 pm »

We have -many- boxes, and it's really quite easy when you think about it.  We all find our stuff either by making it to the objective of the first mission, which usually gets you your guns, and, if you were tagged before that, all of the stuff that wasn't collected at the start of the day, will be left with our admins until the end of the day.  We have massive dart collections/gun reclaim/tomfoolery at the end of the day.  There is no possibility of them being stolen as we mark down which guns you had, and I believe we put your name on them with masking tape.  The guns are reclaimed with an admin literally standing right next to you.

Sounds good.  Thanks for addressing/explaining this!

"Somebody call for an exterminator?"
Primary: Alpha Recon (AT+ Recon stock, sight);  Holdouts: Jolt, socks, foam stress toys;  Undergoing Evaluation: None
Doctor
* Game Organizer

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 01:52:30 pm »

Moderator form Kutztown here:

Is there any way that players would be allowed to sleep outside? The game at our university does not allow indoor play so many of our players have already decided that they will not go indoors. A quick reply would be awesome because we're trying to get a gauge on how many players are coming.

HVZ FOREVER.

"We need more guns."

"No, we need bullets."
hawkdanop

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 06:33:06 pm »

http://www.facebook.com/events/356450104374216/

There's the facebook event.

Post Merge: February 12, 2012, 01:36:39 pm
The 2011 Invitational followed the same format.  Although we nearly doubled our numbers, if not did so, and through that, I think we had 35 OZs.  Humans still had started with socks and marshmallows, and all humans were split into 5 separate squads to start the day.

We have -many- boxes, and it's really quite easy when you think about it.  We all find our stuff either by making it to the objective of the first mission, which usually gets you your guns, and, if you were tagged before that, all of the stuff that wasn't collected at the start of the day, will be left with our admins until the end of the day.  We have massive dart collections/gun reclaim/tomfoolery at the end of the day.  There is no possibility of them being stolen as we mark down which guns you had, and I believe we put your name on them with masking tape.  The guns are reclaimed with an admin literally standing right next to you.

Damaged to modded guns is so unlikely to happen, so don't make one made of glass and you're fine.  It's not like we're going to test your guns in the box by throwing them at the ground and saying, "YUP, THEY'RE APPROVED!"

You can carry any ammo you would like to use with you.  It just becomes obsolete as we don't have a policy that allows for humans to throw darts.  (Well, you can, but they won't stun anything).  You can also feel free to leave other ammo with your host/at your hotel room, as we will have two or three major scheduled breaks throughout the day.

Im still going regardless butt, last invitational I had a raider stolen/misplaced (It had my name, cell phone number and school on it, but they left the drum), the plexiglass shotgun grip on my longshot was cracked, luckily not cracked enough to effect its operation, i did get the darts i spent back though. I recently went to the umbc invitational and wrapped my rayven in bubble wrap to ensure against damage.

So take this as a warning, shit happens, the best u can do is try to prevent it from happening. It would prolly be a much better idea, considering overhead and the potential of this happening again, to just let humans carry their blasters and then they unlock the ability to use them. They are in separated groups lead by mods anyhow sooo, how can foul play happen.
Chuck

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2012, 06:46:12 pm »

The problem with the method of letting humans carry them, is that we really can't trust everyone to not use them.  Which would just throw a wrench into the plans of things.  Like, if a zombie rushes the humans, and he gets hit with thirty darts, and tags a person, that person will probably throw a fit.  It's because of instinct that happens.

The same can happen if a zombie rushes the group of humans and is hit by 30 darts and 1 sock, yet never saw or felt a sock.  How do we provide proof against that?  Who's side do we go with?
hawkdanop

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2012, 03:07:39 am »

Well each group is led by a mod that can enforce the rule. Furthermore, its usually the first mission meaning it has the smallest chance that the players will get confused or misunderstand the rules of the mission. "you cant fire your blaster until you get to a point, you can only use socks ". Compared to other guidelines that accompany other missions, powerups or bosses in hvz, this seems extremely strait forward and I doubt anyone can mess up a rule this simple. When a group of humans can use their blasters the mod can have a flag raised to let zombies know even though the fact that a human would be firing at them should be enough. Lastly, about your comment about a zombie being hit by 30 darts and then not feeling a sock. My schools first and most popular zombie boss is the tank, who is a zombie player who can only be stunned by socks. They are marked with a special colored shirt and bandanna but it doesnt stop people from firing on them. That being said, a tank not feeling a sock hasnt been an issue but thats irrelevant considering if the humans are told they are not supposed to fire, they shouldn't, and in all odds, wont be firing.
Chuck

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2012, 08:43:32 am »

I've come across that pseudo-boss rule at other games thus far with regards to socks, and even then, sometimes they don't.  Plus, we don't have a limitless amount of mods.  They can't catch everything that goes on.  But as someone who has gone headlong into charges, as I'm sure you know, you won't feel everything that goes off of you.  Especially with baggy shorts or shirts.

We've also now been doing this for two years (going on the third) with at least a 99.9 percent success rate.  It seems out of the 600 or so guns that have been deposited and left with us, only two or three people have not gotten theirs returned/had it break.  Sadly, we can't 100 percent guarantee you that everything will be returned, but we can do our best to make it so.

Unfortunately, even with Invitationals that allow for players to sport their guns from the get-go, they also have a few players lose some.  It's really hard to guarantee you will -never- lose something, but that transition from human to zombie is not always the easiest for these things.  We, as well as other admin groups have done our best to streamline the hand-off, we just happen to have our admins typically with their cars nearby to make it easier on you as a player.
Bob McAwesome

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 12:28:11 pm »

Massive update in original post. Take a look for important details!

OZ-PSU Invitational Spring '10
Mzzkc
* Game Organizer

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2012, 02:15:32 am »

40+ players expected from UMBC.

I certainly hope there's a human win condition this year. XP
Chuck

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2012, 12:07:30 am »

40+ players expected from UMBC.

I certainly hope there's a human win condition this year. XP

I'll kick your circuit board twice.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.