May 23, 2017, 08:38:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Today, just started the first HvZ middle school game in Spain!  (Read 4557 times)
Kimbo

« on: November 23, 2011, 06:58:01 PM »

Hey, everyone. Just informing ya'll that a mini-game of HvZ has been played in Galicia, Spain. We are going to be playing again next week (hopefully, a little longer and players understanding the rules better).

I'll go into game mechanics later on as I am still adjusting the rules a bit.

For those trying to get HvZ allowed in your school this is what I did. (*Important disclaimer: I'm a TA working in a Spanish government assistantship program (North American Language and Cultural Assistant). This gives me some authority (and power) that other players and moderators in middle and high schools don't have. I'm sorry there is nothing I can do to directly help ya'll out.*)

A few weeks ago, I approach the equivalent of the vice-principal (who also happens to be the bilingual English-Spanish gym teacher at my school) and asked him that I would like to each some American sports and P.E. games to the students.

About a week and a half ago, I asked my gym teacher if I could teach a game called HvZ to the students. I told him that it was an American game played on college campuses, it makes the student be active and run around and I also emphasize the point that HvZ makes people run around a lot, it creates teamwork and breaks down barriers (i.e. cliques are more or less destroyed). I basically emphasize the positive aspects of HvZ and explain the basic rules/concepts to him first. Last Wednesday (without having made concrete rules for the gym class), I explained the basic concepts and rules of HvZ and told the students what they needed to bring to play the game. Today, I went into more detail about the rules.

The reason why I split up the rules explanation into two days was: 1)I normally only have the class for 15 to 20 minutes out of 50 minutes. 2) English is second, third or possibly forth language for these students, I want the students to properly understand the rules as best as possible. 3) Most rules presentation on college campuses takes about 30 minutes to 1 hour, so me teaching the students would be equivalent to that time frame. I also didn't have the whole class period to talk about rules and concepts of HvZ. 4)I wanted the students to have time to prepare properly.

Game outcome: The students love it and they asked me if we could play HvZ again next week. Two boys want/are going to play HvZ at their birthday parties next month. I combine HvZ and capture the flag based on another moderator's advice. Didn't explain the rules to capture the flag too well so I'll have to work on that.

~Kimbo

UF class of '11
Spring 2010 (second game)- Zombie
Summer 2010- Human turned Zombie at the Final Mission
Fall 2010 -Human
Spring 2011- Human (but walked passed the Final Mission: Z victory)
Summer 2011-Zombie (H victory)
Spaztikko
* Game Organizer

BANNED

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 01:15:04 AM »

you can play either with 2 flags, which you can make them get to either halfway or their own base, or with one flag in the centre.

If you'll excuse me, I have to go kick a puppy.

Nodnodnodnodnodnodnodnodnodnod......
Kimbo

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 06:49:28 PM »

I have run about 6 games already and this is what I picked up.
The students just like running around and chasing each other so it looks like our games (if more than 20minutes to 1 hour) should be mission light or very simple missions.
People will volunteer to be an original zombie/a part of zombie starting squad.
Zombies's respawn point needs to protected.
Always have several bandanas if you are a moderator.
Keep rules and mission simple for middle schoolers.
If explaining the rules to a new player, let the "experienced/veteran" players explain it. (Apparently, my Spanish is not good enough yet.)

Right now, the majority of the players at my school are in the equivalent of 8th grade and are learning English as a second language. So therefore, I have to keep the rules simple anyway. I will be meeting with the Director of Activities this month and hopefully be able to arrange a 1 to multiple school day game in the end of February or April.

UF class of '11
Spring 2010 (second game)- Zombie
Summer 2010- Human turned Zombie at the Final Mission
Fall 2010 -Human
Spring 2011- Human (but walked passed the Final Mission: Z victory)
Summer 2011-Zombie (H victory)
Spaztikko
* Game Organizer

BANNED

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 09:09:16 PM »

nice! may i suggest that if people voulenteer, they do so away from class, so nobody knows? nothing like a healthy bout of paranoia Smiley

If you'll excuse me, I have to go kick a puppy.

Nodnodnodnodnodnodnodnodnodnod......
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.