April 30, 2017, 10:30:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Arizona State "No Nerf Blasters or Jail!!"  (Read 9188 times)
Brothapipp

Zombie Master

« on: February 14, 2012, 03:53:19 AM »

So tonight we were informed that the presence of Nerf Blasters was against ASU policy and that to fire them constitutes the breaking of a policy. If we did not disperse with the weapons we were going to be arrested.

I know that we cannot be arrested for policy issues, but we can for disturbing the peace, which i am sure was to be the reason for arresting any of us.
but the policy that the cops were quoting was http://www.asu.edu/aad/manuals/pdp/pdp201-05.html.

Now i am not a law major, nor am I an english major, but my interpretation is that the weapon must be, within reason, an object or substance that is designed to hurt someone.

I am all about "Fight the Power" but i am not wanting this game to suck! getting arrested would suck!
advice?Huh

bedmano

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 11:23:59 AM »

"devices designed to expel a projectile (such as BB guns, air guns, pellet guns, and potato guns)"

Took it directly out of the policy. Notice how everything listed there can cause physical harm or property damage?  You're probably gonna need to sit down with Administration and probably the campus police (if you have any) and the city police and explain to them that Nerf Blasters (not guns, blasters) cause no physical harm. You can ban realistic paint jobs, modded darts that can cause any sort of bodily harm, and do "weapon" checks on modded blasters to make sure they do not hurt.
Frosty_022
* Game Organizer

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 05:14:03 AM »

You're probably gonna need to sit down with Administration and probably the campus police (if you have any) and the city police and explain to them that Nerf Blasters (not guns, blasters) cause no physical harm. You can ban realistic paint jobs, modded darts that can cause any sort of bodily harm, and do "weapon" checks on modded blasters to make sure they do not hurt.

That's what we did although we didn't have a problem quite as bad as you though.

We have however had to move a nerf club event before because we had some CHOGM (Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting) events being held on campus and we were told that if we tried to bring nerf blasters through the security zone we would be arrested

Adversity doesn't build character, Nailing some sucker with a couple of hundred Nerf darts builds character

Game Mod UWA Game 2 2011
Game Admin UWA Game 1 2012
Primary: Alpha Trooper
Secondary: Magstrike, Barrel Break, 2x Mavericks
Equipment:Combat Webbing, 1x35 round drum, 5x 18 clips, spare
Bobsaid

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 07:59:13 PM »

I'm the guy from out on Poly who e-mailed you. I'll update with more information on our end as I can get it.

Role: Mod/Squad Command
Squad: Panda Core
Hunting Grounds: Arizona State (Poly)

Primary: Raider/Longstrike/Barricade
Secondary: SL6/Barricade
Side Arm: Modded Nite Finder (Vira)

For those who are about to Panda, we salute you.
joecracko
* Game Organizer

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 07:10:36 PM »

For your defense of Nerf Blasters:

Your policy does not prohibit foam dart blasters.
Nerf Blasters are not guns or weapons, so they cannot be compared to "Air Guns". To do so is absurdity.
Nerf Blasters are children's toys that, when un-modified, can do no serious or permanent damage to people or property.
The typical range of a Nerf Blaster is only 20-30 feet, so non-players getting caught in the crossfire is a minimal issue.

They're just AFRAID. Find out their exact concerns and and address each one. You may have to go a game without Nerf Blasters to demonstrate that college kids can be responsible.
Brothapipp

Zombie Master

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 06:47:24 PM »

thank you all.
I have a couple of good leads.
and all of you have been really encouraging!

Post Merge: February 20, 2012, 05:38:57 PM
GOod news. Our Club adviser has heralded our charge and sent an email to a "President of student affairs"

that president said, "I will look into this and let you know and talk to the police on your behalf"

TA-DOW!!!  Grin
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 05:38:57 PM by Brothapipp » Logged

joecracko
* Game Organizer

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 10:43:14 AM »

You'll want to talk to the Director of Safety and Security/Police Chief yourself.

Remember that "no" rarely means "no". It usually means they're not happy with your terms. Stay persistent and dedicated.
barbaraH3462

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 12:40:04 AM »

This is the most extreme of the posts in here. I think it's a little exaggerated.
Cazzums
* Forum Moderator

Graveyard Shift

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 12:23:50 AM »

Necroed. Locked.

"See you space cowboy..."
Primary: Minimized Demolisher
Backup: Socks/3' Blowgun
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.