December 22, 2014, 05:10:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nooby Need-to-Know  (Read 3898 times)
nexttoradio

« on: November 28, 2008, 11:34:23 PM »

Ok so i have been a nerf fan for about 8 years now but i have never really moded my guns before (today i did the maverick extended revolver mod and it truned out alright so I'm pretty confident with my mod abilities) and i have now learned how completely non-hardcore i have been over the last years. Even though im still too young (Jr. Year) to play this on a college campus, which will probably be Penn State, i still like the idea of the game and want to be on top of the nerf world when i get to college so i can begin my zombie slaying immediately.

Question 1

What are all the effects of removing the air restricter? good and bad
i have seen a lot of people on youtube removing the air restricter and it seems like it makes the gun better but it also looks as if it wears the gun out faster. Does the mod have a bad effect on the gun or does the gun hold up to it just fine.

Question 2
what darts are the best? i see most people using the streamline darts so im guessing that those work well but does anybody use anythign else? does the type of dart even have an effect on the guns accuracy/range?

Question 3
Recon or Longshot?
I have seen the post and i have not been able to make a decision. I dont want this to become anotehr recon v longshot thread so i put this last in the hopes that my other questions will be the priority since i can read all i want about both. The youtubevideos are all over the place and inconsistant so if you woulc just say something short and simple about your favorite of the 2 (or another recommended gun except for vulcan i will probably get that just because its cool).

Thanks and may you either feast on brains or blow them out of a zombie. ^^
Shane

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 07:03:23 PM »

Question 1
i have seen a lot of people on youtube removing the air restricter and it seems like it makes the gun better but it also looks as if it wears the gun out faster. Does the mod have a bad effect on the gun or does the gun hold up to it just fine.
Its been my experience that removing the air restricters can make the gun shoot darts a bit faster and thus make them shoot a little bit farther.  Doing this does, however, make the gun wear out sooner than had you not done it.  The main problem I've found is when you fire the gun without a dart in it the plastic bits smack together quite forcibly due to the lack of restriction on firing.  Basically, if you do this then you need to make sure to inform everyone who touches your gun that if they want to mess with it they should not fire it without a dart. I made the mistake of leaving one of my modded guns with my school's hvz kids during tabling and it just doesn't shoot the same.
Question 2
what darts are the best? i see most people using the streamline darts so I'm guessing that those work well but does anybody use anything else? does the type of dart even have an effect on the guns accuracy/range?
Suction darts fail: they have little range compared to others and aren't incredibly accurate either.  The whistling darts are fun, because they whistle, and although they have decent range they are also very inaccurate, mostly because that's what whistling does.  Streamline darts probably have the best range and accuracy of the darts I've seen, but my personal favorite is still the tagger dart.  The reason for this is that they are as accurate as the streamlines and have almost as much range with one little bonus: the little velcro bit will sometimes stick to clothing, especially to certain types of jackets which can make darts hard to feel through.  No one can argue that they weren't shot if a dart is sticking to them.
Question 3
Recon or Longshot?
I have seen the post and i have not been able to make a decision. I don't want this to become another recon v longshot thread so i put this last in the hopes that my other questions will be the priority since i can read all i want about both. The youtubevideos are all over the place and inconsistent so if you woulc just say something short and simple about your favorite of the 2 (or another recommended gun except for vulcan i will probably get that just because its cool).
I personally don't care for these guns because they can only take the streamline darts as ammo.  The other guns can fire any type of dart and I don't usually fire my gun unless I'm in a situation where I may need to pick up whatever ammo I can find nearby, regardless of whether or not it is mine.
Lilman

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 09:52:30 PM »

I personally don't care for these guns because they can only take the streamline darts as ammo.  The other guns can fire any type of dart and I don't usually fire my gun unless I'm in a situation where I may need to pick up whatever ammo I can find nearby, regardless of whether or not it is mine.

But you can mod the Recon and Longshot to fire all the other darts,as such making them effective assault weapons.It my Recon rarely jams,and i havent been round to go buy a Longshot from Ebay.

P.S. i live in Australia
nexttoradio

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 11:37:10 PM »

well when i saw the recon on amazon for $11 i had to get it, but im still looking into the longshot.
Spam

O TEH NOES!!

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 11:04:44 PM »

Question 2
what darts are the best? i see most people using the streamline darts so im guessing that those work well but does anybody use anythign else? does the type of dart even have an effect on the guns accuracy/range?

Honestly I'd have to say that Stefans are going to be your best bet. However they are fairly time-consuming to make and usually require a lot of materials. The advantage is that they still aren't as expensive as regular darts and that they usually are going to go faster and farter than any other type of dart. They also work with about any gun.
But you should only go with Stefans if you are willing to make anywhere from 500-1000 before a week-long game.

.:For He Today Who Sheds His Blood With Me Shall Be My Brother:.
ArcAngelXVI

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 08:06:09 PM »

Ok so i have been a nerf fan for about 8 years now but i have never really moded my guns before (today i did the maverick extended revolver mod and it truned out alright so I'm pretty confident with my mod abilities) and i have now learned how completely non-hardcore i have been over the last years. Even though im still too young (Jr. Year) to play this on a college campus, which will probably be Penn State, i still like the idea of the game and want to be on top of the nerf world when i get to college so i can begin my zombie slaying immediately.

Question 1

Question 2

Question 3
Recon or Longshot?
I have seen the post and i have not been able to make a decision. I dont want this to become anotehr recon v longshot thread so i put this last in the hopes that my other questions will be the priority since i can read all i want about both. The youtubevideos are all over the place and inconsistant so if you woulc just say something short and simple about your favorite of the 2 (or another recommended gun except for vulcan i will probably get that just because its cool).

Thanks and may you either feast on brains or blow them out of a zombie. ^^

1) An air restrictor is a design feature of all stock NERF guns to... you guessed it, restrict air output. The effects of which result in decreased range for any given spring load and plunger volume. Basically, by removing the restrictor you remove this limitation and gain some measurable increase in performance. If your weapon is completely stock otherwise, you can expect to see an increase in absolute range of something like 5-8 feet. However, removing an air restrictor means that you should no longer dry fire (aka, shooting with no darts loaded) as this results in your plunger striking the face of the plunger tube at full speed, accelerating wear.

2) The most accurate darts you can potentially use are stefans. Stefans come in all sorts of variations from hot glue domes, to a felt / washer combination known as a slug. These darts are generally used in highly modified guns in more lax HvZ settings and all throughout the NIC. Keep in mind that your ability to use these darts is completely dependent on what your school will allow you to use. Many schools flat out ban anything besides a stock dart - mine for instance will allow slugs.

IF you must use stock darts, then Whistlers, Taggers, and Suction Cups will be the most accurate... provided your weapon can use a necked dart. However, if your weapon uses a removable / detachable magazine (examples: Alpha Trooper, Rampage, etc) then you MUST use a dart without a large diameter tip. In this case, the most accurate dart you can use is likely an Elite Streamline dart. Keep in mind that various letter codes and foam densities will modify this general rule in every which way - so pay attention to it.

3) Whichever is better is completely dependent on your style of play and the "culture" of your game. I know that doesn't really give an answer, but it's really something you need to find out yourself through use. If you focus on mobility, or have heavy restrictions on modifications, then something like a Recon (although, if you can - buy a Retaliator instead) is preferable. On the other hand, a player who likes to sit back, and who plays in a setting where standoffs are frequent may prefer the Longshot - provided your school allows heavy modifications required to make it into a DMR.

Oh, and a quick note about stefans. They are generally made with solid foam, which means you CANNOT have a dart peg inside your barrel. If you do, it must be removed. Stefans are also usually of shorter length than stock darts, which has a detrimental impact in traditional magazine fed weapons because you effectively reduce your useable barrel length.

Moderator @ SUNY Stony Brook Spring 2013

Hate Team R&D / Intelligence Group

Mission Loudout:
Stryfe PDW (NSR 3005 w/ Neo-magnet Swap, Microswitch replacement, 14.8 LiPo)
Sweet Revenge (AR Delete)
Ultra-low profile belt rig
Masturcief42

lol I'm teh mastur cief!

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 08:43:56 PM »

1) An air restrictor is a design feature of all stock NERF guns to... you guessed it, restrict air output. The effects of which result in decreased range for any given spring load and plunger volume. Basically, by removing the restrictor you remove this limitation and gain some measurable increase in performance. If your weapon is completely stock otherwise, you can expect to see an increase in absolute range of something like 5-8 feet. However, removing an air restrictor means that you should no longer dry fire (aka, shooting with no darts loaded) as this results in your plunger striking the face of the plunger tube at full speed, accelerating wear.

2) The most accurate darts you can potentially use are stefans. Stefans come in all sorts of variations from hot glue domes, to a felt / washer combination known as a slug. These darts are generally used in highly modified guns in more lax HvZ settings and all throughout the NIC. Keep in mind that your ability to use these darts is completely dependent on what your school will allow you to use. Many schools flat out ban anything besides a stock dart - mine for instance will allow slugs.

IF you must use stock darts, then Whistlers, Taggers, and Suction Cups will be the most accurate... provided your weapon can use a necked dart. However, if your weapon uses a removable / detachable magazine (examples: Alpha Trooper, Rampage, etc) then you MUST use a dart without a large diameter tip. In this case, the most accurate dart you can use is likely an Elite Streamline dart. Keep in mind that various letter codes and foam densities will modify this general rule in every which way - so pay attention to it.

3) Whichever is better is completely dependent on your style of play and the "culture" of your game. I know that doesn't really give an answer, but it's really something you need to find out yourself through use. If you focus on mobility, or have heavy restrictions on modifications, then something like a Recon (although, if you can - buy a Retaliator instead) is preferable. On the other hand, a player who likes to sit back, and who plays in a setting where standoffs are frequent may prefer the Longshot - provided your school allows heavy modifications required to make it into a DMR.

Oh, and a quick note about stefans. They are generally made with solid foam, which means you CANNOT have a dart peg inside your barrel. If you do, it must be removed. Stefans are also usually of shorter length than stock darts, which has a detrimental impact in traditional magazine fed weapons because you effectively reduce your useable barrel length.
Please look at when this was posted. Don't necro even though i know it wasn't you who did it. Mods, lock the topic.

Go save lives, donate blood.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.