September 02, 2014, 05:21:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 68
  Print  
Author Topic: The Nerf 2012 New Gun Thread (N-Strike Elite, New Dart Tag, Vortex): take 2  (Read 127443 times)
RandomShadow09

The Nerfer formerly known as SpectreX

« Reply #675 on: July 26, 2012, 09:13:39 pm »

Holy crap...  Shocked  I was skeptical at first, but I think this would make a decent Squad Automatic Weapon.  The overvolted performance would be excellent for suppressive fire.

My one question: how easy is it to change magazines?  Being able to re-load empty mags while still having 1 or 2 magazines ready in the rotating assembly is an advantage, but the blaster seems like it could be a bit unwieldy. 

The mag wells are very stiff, not good for quick swaps.  The mags don't lock in the same as on every other blaster with a release button.  There's a nub at the clip lock point, and it seems to mostly rely on the tight fit to hold the mags in.  You really have to slam them in and rip them out.  Needs eight wells, because you're going to have to stop using the blaster to get a good enough grip to rip out an empty mag if you're the user.  It'll definitely be most useful for teams of at least two, with one person on reload duty.  Honestly though, I can't see needing to fire more than 144-shots on any mission I've ever been in (and that's a lot at this point).

I'm modifying my plans for a SMG conversion to include removing the rotating mag pieces completely, and subbing in a mag well from a Retaliator or Rampage.  Maybe a better solution would be to drop the Hail-Fire electronics into a Rayven shell, but the Hail-Fire trigger is so perfect I don't want to lose that.

torukmakto4

Inhuman Resistance

« Reply #676 on: July 26, 2012, 09:16:35 pm »

...Hail-Fire electronics into a Rayven

Any data on these motors? I think that would be stomped by a cade swap; 92' flat with 4s was mentioned and that suggests these are a Rayven-like wind. How's windup time?

CT-2406
Quartermaster of the Florida 501st
You are now entering the Dart Zone

Quote from: Ross_Varn
Rabid squirrels are not an approved special weapon on any campus
Ghost Reporting

« Reply #677 on: July 26, 2012, 09:37:20 pm »

The mag wells are very stiff, not good for quick swaps.  The mags don't lock in the same as on every other blaster with a release button.  There's a nub at the clip lock point, and it seems to mostly rely on the tight fit to hold the mags in.  You really have to slam them in and rip them out.  Needs eight wells, because you're going to have to stop using the blaster to get a good enough grip to rip out an empty mag if you're the user.  It'll definitely be most useful for teams of at least two, with one person on reload duty.  Honestly though, I can't see needing to fire more than 144-shots on any mission I've ever been in (and that's a lot at this point).

Good to know.  I don't plan on buying a Hailfire as it doesn't really fit my style of play, but it's cool that Nerf built a blaster that could probably get through a tough mission without needing a re-load (assuming there are 8x18 mags in the rotating assembly).

Right now, Pyragon and Elite darts are on my "to buy" list.

"Somebody call for an exterminator?"
Primary: Alpha Recon (AT+ Recon stock, sight);  Holdouts: Jolt, socks, foam stress toys;  Undergoing Evaluation: None
RandomShadow09

« Reply #678 on: July 26, 2012, 09:58:48 pm »

Any data on these motors? I think that would be stomped by a cade swap; 92' flat with 4s was mentioned and that suggests these are a Rayven-like wind. How's windup time?

Sorry, I've got nothing at the moment.  I don't want to go messing around with this unit because I overpaid to have a test blaster ASAP, so I won't be cracking it open until I can get one at regular retail price.

Here's what I can tell you:
-Windup with the Trustfires is near instant, and plenty quick with AAs
-Even running 4 Trustfires for a good few seconds at max revs I'm not detecting the horrible burning smell that you have with the Rayven
-Again, on 4 Trustfires, while it's loud, the sound is also pretty smooth.  Doesn't sound like it's trying to rip itself apart.
-When comparing stock results with AAs, the Hail-Fire way out classes the Rayven even when they're both firing Elite darts, so something must be different under the hood?

Other observations:
-Instead of the foam membrane from the Rayven, there is an AT style jam door that is attached to the bottom of the barrel and gets pushed down by the darts as they go through.
-I had concerns about mag alinement, but when I intentionally misaligned one and pulled the trigger it realigned itself and fired flawlessly.

SpookyLucaZ
* Forum Moderator

Graveyard Shift

« Reply #679 on: July 28, 2012, 02:43:50 pm »

Say 'hello' to the strongarm!

Moderator/Organizer/Founder of 'Insanity Wolves'
CountryCuz2011
* Game Organizer

Formerly known as Spartan2011

« Reply #680 on: July 28, 2012, 03:01:48 pm »

It looks like a Maverick...Strongarm, hmmm.

Spring 2014 Loadout:
Primary: Praxis w/RDS, Nerf Raider stock, Halo mounting system
Secondary: Socks
Day-to-Day: Roughcut w/pistol grip, raider stock
Ammo: 40-round drum, extended Vortex clips, extra discs
Equipment: Vortex LBE w/fanny pack, Mechanix gloves, shemagh, sock pouch, dump pouch, my
RandomShadow09

« Reply #681 on: July 28, 2012, 03:05:19 pm »

Makes sense.  If they're redoing the NiteFinder, why not the Maverick?  Hopefully It has the Spectre style rotation, but I can't imagine why they wouldn't do that.  If they're looking to get 75ft you need the good air seal the Spectre has.

Ozymandias

I met a survivor from Zombieland...

« Reply #682 on: July 28, 2012, 03:08:54 pm »

Looks like a Maverick/Spectre hybrid... this has potential.

"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Dallas Metroplex, Texas
SpookyLucaZ
* Forum Moderator

Graveyard Shift

« Reply #683 on: July 28, 2012, 03:15:46 pm »

I just can't get over how flat it looks though. Needs some sort of shape/form instead of a dart tag style lumped blaster.

Moderator/Organizer/Founder of 'Insanity Wolves'
RandomShadow09

« Reply #684 on: July 28, 2012, 03:21:50 pm »

I just can't get over how flat it looks though. Needs some sort of shape/form instead of a dart tag style lumped blaster.

I hear you on that, but when I see it it looks smooth enough to easily holster and draw without getting caught on things.

Ghost Reporting

« Reply #685 on: July 28, 2012, 09:43:01 pm »

I hear you on that, but when I see it it looks smooth enough to easily holster and draw without getting caught on things.

I actually don't mind the nondescript looks at all.  The blaster looks pretty clean and functional to me, and being able to holster and draw easily should be a #1 priority in a weapon. 

I really hope that the Nerf team implemented the Spectre's rotate-on-prime system for this blaster.  A six-shooter with good reliability from Nerf would be real competition for the Tek-6.

"Somebody call for an exterminator?"
Primary: Alpha Recon (AT+ Recon stock, sight);  Holdouts: Jolt, socks, foam stress toys;  Undergoing Evaluation: None
Rozen

« Reply #686 on: July 28, 2012, 09:44:45 pm »

It looks very real but it's seems very strange. Could it be a fake?

It's at a total disjunct with the design of the previous blasters in the Elite line. As mentioned above it looks more dart tag than faux gun elite style.

Also, the elite models that are redeveloped older blasters seem to have mostly used the same casts - this blaster seems to be completely recast - new grip, new barrel, new priming handle, new chassis - even the trigger is new! It seems like a lot of money spent by Hasbro for what ends up casually looking a lot like an old blaster, which seems counter intuitive to making a lot of money off what is basically their most popular blaster.
AT92
* Game Organizer

« Reply #687 on: July 28, 2012, 09:53:24 pm »

It looks very real but it's seems very strange. Could it be a fake?

It's at a total disjunct with the design of the previous blasters in the Elite line. As mentioned above it looks more dart tag than faux gun elite style.

Also, the elite models that are redeveloped older blasters seem to have mostly used the same casts - this blaster seems to be completely recast - new grip, new barrel, new priming handle, new chassis - even the trigger is new! It seems like a lot of money spent by Hasbro for what ends up casually looking a lot like an old blaster, which seems counter intuitive to making a lot of money off what is basically their most popular blaster.

Not a fake, from ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hasbro-nerf-n-strike-elite-soft-dart-gun-NEW-/200799430945?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec0942921

Any newer HVZers or Nerfers out there? Check out my youtube channel to get any and all the info you need on the current line of Nerf blasters, Orange Mod Works products and more!
Omega_Trooper

« Reply #688 on: July 28, 2012, 09:56:58 pm »

I can't say it isn't boring but it is a great idear... I think that the grip looks great and the 75 ft (yeah right...) sounds nice for what is going to end up being a secondary...

You can't hide now, I am the warrior.
So decide now, How I'll remember you.
                             -Warrior, by Disturbed
torukmakto4

Inhuman Resistance

« Reply #689 on: July 28, 2012, 10:23:13 pm »

Well, that was a curveball for sure!

I expected an eventual NSE pistol, but I was expecting a DP maverick (fail, because you just can't fix that rotation system without scrapping the damn thing entirely and thus any mav rework is guaranteed to suck) or spectre (win, but the 5-shot idea just tends to turn people off). Instead, Nerf seems to have gone for a 6-shot streamlined derivative of the spectre (that is my best guess as to its origins).

I don't think it looks DT-ish at all, nor any less firearm-ish than the maverick which of course is comically disproportionate and looks like a nerf revolver and little else, because you just can't hide the geometry of a full-length dart and a plunger system in something that looks like a real steel revolver and actually functions. Nor does it look any more sci-fi, bulbous or plasticky than the spectre did, with the exception of what looks to be a more ergonomic wraparound slide, the bulge from the 6-shot cylinder, and the deleted stock mount and modular barrel nut which were gimmicks. It doesn't look all that unique but it does look functional.

So... why not rework the spectre?

My guess is that the 5-shot capacity lost it a lot of sales, and the marketing guys had a bad taste in their mouths from this gun even though it would have sold a lot better had it been available in any other way than in a $20 bundle with a bunch of accessories, and (in the US) through exactly one distributor. Also, I am thinking the spectre was a limited production gun and there was/is something blocking the road to Elitification - tooling life, or perhaps even the contracts with walmart (spectre)/target (alpha) that are still in force, prohibiting chopping up the tooling as with the Raider/Rampage deal.

CT-2406
Quartermaster of the Florida 501st
You are now entering the Dart Zone

Quote from: Ross_Varn
Rabid squirrels are not an approved special weapon on any campus
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 68
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.