September 26, 2017, 07:08:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggested Improvements to HvZ Source?!  (Read 32193 times)
Hardware
* Game Organizer

Vanguard Squad Armorer

« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2014, 11:55:13 PM »

Is there a way to set up a search engine to find other players?

Loadout:
9.6v Rayven on shoulder sling w/35 drum and mounted Polaroid sports action video camera
12v Swarmpistol
Sock bandolier and dart pouch, Triad
A lot of stupidity

Building stuff is the most fun part of HvZ.
Sklover
* Administrator

« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2014, 11:02:36 PM »

Is there a way to set up a search engine to find other players?
In what sense? You can currently search for players within your game from the player page.

Loading Please Wait...
Hardware
* Game Organizer

Vanguard Squad Armorer

« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2014, 11:34:36 AM »

I was thinking something similar to what Facebook has for name searches. It would be a lot faster than scrolling down the player page, especially when you have as many as 200+ people.

Loadout:
9.6v Rayven on shoulder sling w/35 drum and mounted Polaroid sports action video camera
12v Swarmpistol
A lot of stupidity

Sklover
* Administrator

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2014, 08:08:05 PM »

That exists on the player page. Is that not the functionality that you're looking for?

Loading Please Wait...
Hardware
* Game Organizer

Vanguard Squad Armorer

« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2014, 10:00:02 AM »

Having it for players outside of your game would be nice. That's mainly what I'm looking for. There is the top-five list at the bottom, but what about my friends that are at different campuses? I would like to look them up.

Loadout:
12v Swarmpistol
A lot of stupidity

Sklover
* Administrator

« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2014, 09:05:06 PM »

Thanks for the feedback. I think for now, we'd like to keep them separated.

Loading Please Wait...
Catastrophe
* Game Organizer

« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2014, 09:14:37 PM »

Pitching this once again to see if it's possible: Can a function be added to allow games to add a Safety Waiver to the website, and when players join a game, there is a box present that says "By clicking this box, I agree to the Safety Waiver" or some other such phrase. That way, you don't have to worry about tracking down every single player and getting one signed for them in person - the website takes care of it for you.

Lindenwood University, St. Charles, MO
Game Administrator Spring '12 - Spring '13
Game Moderator Fall '13 - Fall '14 (semi-retired)
Sklover
* Administrator

« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2014, 04:41:54 PM »

Pitching this once again to see if it's possible: Can a function be added to allow games to add a Safety Waiver to the website, and when players join a game, there is a box present that says "By clicking this box, I agree to the Safety Waiver" or some other such phrase. That way, you don't have to worry about tracking down every single player and getting one signed for them in person - the website takes care of it for you.
It's not possible yet, but that one is on our long todo list Smiley.

Right now, we're finishing up the read-only API. Then we're going to start the read/write API. Once those are done, people will be able to write apps and such.

Loading Please Wait...
Catastrophe
* Game Organizer

« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2014, 03:44:02 AM »

Just some things that myself as well as the players noticed during Lindenwood University's game last week.

• Chat seems to be broken for both sides. I know it worked in previous games, but neither side seemed to work for anyone, moderator or player alike.
  • An option to turn a human player into a zombie player without forcing a name for the tag would be nice. We have a fairly honest player base, and sometimes tags don't get reported, even though the person tagged has already been participating as a zombie.
  • An option to remove moderators as players but still be treated as players in regards to emails being sent out. As far as I know, CC'ing the moderators doesn't actually do anything for getting them the message, and I know I don't receive any of the messages I send. Since our moderators don't play, we remove them from the player count to get a little better idea on numbers.
  • *Insert moderator dreams for hvzsource website that I've posted half a dozen times previously here, including waivers on signing up and an email-styled inbox for moderators*
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 03:47:26 AM by Catastrophe » Logged

Herbert West

Mad scientist

« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2014, 02:43:58 PM »

• An option to turn a human player into a zombie player without forcing a name for the tag would be nice. We have a fairly honest player base, and sometimes tags don't get reported, even though the person tagged has already been participating as a zombie.

Is there a reason why simply creating a fake zombie player to get the tag won't suffice?

This would probably mean that the zombie who failed to report the tag would not be able to claim the feed later - but, since they didn't report the tag in time, this is hardly unfair.

Quote from: Agatha Heterodyne
A dream merely soothes - but our nightmares make us run!
Catastrophe
* Game Organizer

« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2014, 03:27:29 AM »

Is there a reason why simply creating a fake zombie player to get the tag won't suffice?

This would probably mean that the zombie who failed to report the tag would not be able to claim the feed later - but, since they didn't report the tag in time, this is hardly unfair.
In hindsight, this would have probably been easier instead of turning a moderator into a zombie. We don't use starve timers, so the only thing you get for more tags is bragging rights (as well as a nerf blaster of some sort for the zombie with the most tags at the end of the game).

Sklover
* Administrator

« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2014, 12:45:48 PM »

We just got chat fixed. It was an issue with one of the patches for Nginx that we implemented after the Shellshock vulnerability.  

As for removing moderators, we perilously did not implement that. There was a problem in our previous system with rogue moderators removing all of the other mods and taking over the game. If you need to remove a mod, we ask that you contact us.

We have waivers on our todo list. Development has been very slow recently as most of our time is dedicated to Slap .45 as we get that out the door.

Just some things that myself as well as the players noticed during Lindenwood University's game last week.

• Chat seems to be broken for both sides. I know it worked in previous games, but neither side seemed to work for anyone, moderator or player alike.
  • An option to remove moderators as players but still be treated as players in regards to emails being sent out. As far as I know, CC'ing the moderators doesn't actually do anything for getting them the message, and I know I don't receive any of the messages I send. Since our moderators don't play, we remove them from the player count to get a little better idea on numbers.
  • *Insert moderator dreams for hvzsource website that I've posted half a dozen times previously here, including waivers on signing up and an email-styled inbox for moderators*

Loading Please Wait...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.