April 20, 2014, 07:41:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 3D printed ACOG nerf scope  (Read 2766 times)
thebridgeninja

« on: May 18, 2012, 12:08:21 pm »

So I found this website the other day, and the wheels in my head started to spin.  What if I were to make my own parts for my nerf guns.  Using 3D printing it could be done exactly how I would want it.  So I decided to make a scope!

Using Blender (free 3D modeling software) and some premade models, I created my own ACOG style scope to fit on NERF rails.  I loved ever second of the creation process.  I just uploaded the file to shapeways.com to see what the price was going to be, and thats when it hit... $100

My heart sank to see that all my hard work now is no where going to be realized because I really can't spend that kind of cash on it.

But for the public, someone might want to have one made so hit the link to check it out.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/575481/nerf-acog-scope-sight.html
ilikefish58

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 12:37:02 pm »

Why not just use this? I mean, you'd have to buy an element, but its like $80 cheaper than printing one.

Trying to keep the Blogspot updated in 2013.

Everybody poops
MoHAlixPr

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 12:54:46 pm »

If someone could design a faux Eotech with that I'd be down.
thebridgeninja

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 12:56:50 pm »

I didn't realize it was going to be THAT expensive.  Plus normal nerf scopes swivel side to side quite a bit, I wanted to make my own.
--
--
Do you have a link to that Eotech?  I might be able to make something up.  But realize it'll be pricey I expect.

Post Merge: May 18, 2012, 01:31:32 pm
LOL i found a model for a Eotech 552.  Will that work for you?

Gotta do a little work on it first.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 01:31:32 pm by thebridgeninja » Logged
torukmakto4

Inhuman Resistance

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 01:41:47 pm »

Guys... seriously? Faux sights? There is a hobby called airsoft. Unlike our frugal, practical nerf, it's very tacticool and obsessed with realism. As a result, there are tons of cheap, functional, exact knockoffs of real firearms-grade sights already out there right now. I bet you could find an ACOG (am I wrong, those with more knowledge here?) that will be far better aesthetically than a FDM product without a lot of work, and functional to boot. Currently still eyeballing a RDS for that one 'pede for practical reasons, not aesthetic.

CT-2406
Quartermaster of the Florida 501st
You are now entering the Dart Zone

Quote from: Ross_Varn
Rabid squirrels are not an approved special weapon on any campus
catbarf

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 03:33:32 pm »

An airsoft Eotech runs about $100, an ACOG, about $80.

If you really want a Nerf-style ACOG, try and find the Photon Storm blaster, it comes with one.
MoHAlixPr

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 05:34:12 pm »

Guys... seriously? Faux sights? There is a hobby called airsoft. Unlike our frugal, practical nerf, it's very tacticool and obsessed with realism. As a result, there are tons of cheap, functional, exact knockoffs of real firearms-grade sights already out there right now. I bet you could find an ACOG (am I wrong, those with more knowledge here?) that will be far better aesthetically than a FDM product without a lot of work, and functional to boot. Currently still eyeballing a RDS for that one 'pede for practical reasons, not aesthetic.

I actually found a knock-off Eotech for $45.
SpookyLucaZ
* Forum Moderator

Graveyard Shift

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 07:16:04 pm »

3D printing has been an idea for nerfers to replicate parts for a couple years now.
I personally don't use scope/sights/magnified attachments ever because of how much close quarters most HVZ combat is. I could see a magnifying one to be useful for games because you could use them as binoculaurs from over hills or when leading a group, but never for aiming. I also can't imagine a sight being too useful considering how much accuracy is lacking from the usual modified blaster, but for the NIC it may be appropriate.
The nerfing internet community use much more barrel(airtechs, tripleshots, BBBB) compared to the shallow ones in our game(NF's, swarmfires, magstrikes). 
Point is, unless the blaster has enough barrel/accuracy to be useful enough for a scope, just use a sight instead. If its a tacticool effect you're looking for live it up in how you're dressed instead.

Moderator/Organizer/Founder of 'Insanity Wolves'
Vigilante
* Game Organizer

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 08:04:20 pm »

I don't like how ACOGs cut off your peripheral vision either.

Camarillo, CA Summer 2011 Last Ten Survivor Group, Medal of Honor Winner, Runner up in MVP Fan Voting
Camarillo, CA Summer 2012 Last Five Survivor Group, 2nd runner up in MVP Fan Voting
Camarillo, CA Winter 2012 Games Organizer
Camarillo, CA Summer 2013 Moderator
http://basicnerf.com/
d4rk354b3r

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 11:14:18 pm »

I'm not sure if 3d printing is a viable solution just yet. A couple years ago, I tried Shapeways for clip conversion mods for Barricades. Suffice to say, it was still cheaper to just buy a longshot and salvage the buttstock for a Barricade clip conversion. It hasn't gotten much cheaper since then, and it still may be several years before the prices come close to reasonable for a nerf modder.

With Shapeways, unless you're printing in Sandstone, the parts are all one color, so they still need to be painted. This may or may not be a good thing depending upon the blaster you're using.
What's more is, I don't believe that any 3d printing processes right now are capable of printing long screws inside of tapped holes that actually turn and fasten and whatnot. If you don't have any moving parts in the model (like Nerf's rail grabbers, or Weaver-style screw fasteners), then there really isn't anything securing your sight onto the rail.

If the $110 pricetag for an unpainted non-functional sight is too much for you, get an airsoft sight.
It takes almost no work at all to securely fit a weaver rail sight onto a nerf tactical rail.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 11:18:26 pm by d4rk354b3r » Logged

'Grenadier Hornets' Team Member
Primary:  Modified Elite Rayven, dubbed "Vindicator"
Primary:   Modified Stampede, dubbed "Eviscerator"
Sidearm:   Ass-Saver (Elite Stockade)
ArcAngelXVI

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 05:27:29 pm »

Like it's been said - rapid prototyping / 3D printing is great... but it just doesn't have a practical application for something like a sight. Especially when the same money will get you an good quality airsoft replica like Toruk mentioned.

As far as optics are concerned, a red-dot sight is probably the most logical since you're not shooting past 150" (and that's if your mods incredibly relaxed). Although if you're interested in scouting, an ACOG or lower powered rifle scope might be useful, if not primarily used with aiming in mind.

Moderator @ SUNY Stony Brook Spring 2013

Hate Team Intelligence + Technician

Mission Loudout:
Longshot (9/16" Brass Breech w/ OMW 6kg + BT 5kg)
Strongarm (AR Delete)
Quick-draw Sock Panel
B33TL3

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 07:45:15 pm »

What about 3D printing to replicate a broken Longstrike dart tooth? >.>
skullface1818

The Tallahassee nerf mogul

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 10:02:08 am »

What about 3D printing to replicate a broken Longstrike dart tooth? >.>

3d printing could pretty much replace any broken nerf gun part.
I still think its a few years off from being affordable, but the application for fabricating parts without having to buy tools like a drill press/scroll saw IS appealing.

I say give it 5-10 years to REALLY cheapen down and advance.

their is also METAL 3d printing, which sounds AWESOME to me for parts.....but its still a long ways away from being cheap.

Name: Aaron S. Zaslow
Role: FSU's Nerf mad scientist
Squad(current): legion of chaos
arms: To be honnest? most of emmn
I like stampedes

My youtube!
http://www.youtube.com/user/skullface1818?feature=mhsn

Rate/subscribe.
turboed13b

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 03:28:35 pm »

3d printing isn't strong enough to replace parts they break fairly easy. You can make models with moving parts when it prints it fills the extra space with filler material that can later be removed with mild acid. I can make anything for free in the 3d printer at school Smiley.
vidboi

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 07:49:02 am »

3d printing isn't strong enough to replace parts they break fairly easy. You can make models with moving parts when it prints it fills the extra space with filler material that can later be removed with mild acid. I can make anything for free in the 3d printer at school Smiley.

Depends upon which material you use. You can 3DP print in pretty strong materials, it just depends upon what the machine is set up for. If you design the component right it's fairly easy to extract the filler powder without wasting it just by pouring/sucking it out.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.