September 21, 2014, 04:08:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: diamond formation.  (Read 4046 times)
Falcon

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 09:02:14 pm »

What if you put the tall people in front to take most of the first wave of darts, then have ranks of progressively shorter people behind them?
Ozymandias
* Forum Moderator

I met a survivor from Zombieland...

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 09:07:04 pm »

What if you put the tall people in front to take most of the first wave of darts, then have ranks of progressively shorter people behind them?

Won't work unless you have a shitload of waves.

One zombie, one dart. That is my motto.

"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Dallas Metroplex, Texas
Denton

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 09:39:56 pm »

So, I'm confused, by "diamond" you mean more of a rhombus shape right? Because I'd call it a square if it was simply a square that was rotated 45 degrees. Either way it seems like it would be a tough thing to break for the zombies. I'd have to agree with the tactics ideas especially tricks and ambushes. Remember, this is technically humans vs. humans but you (as a zombie) have some advantages because you can re-spawn and the humans probably think they are indestructible with Nerf blasters. This can lead to some interesting tactical maneuvers if your horde is organized.

Show them that they are NOT indestructible.

A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

Primary: "Cleric" Longshot
Secondary: "Hyperion" Raider
Sidearm: "Ocelot" Spectre
School: University of Wisconsin-Madison
lt. snax

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 05:13:36 pm »

Charge with a wedge. Have larger slower guys on the outside with the intention of having them take the first round of shots. Behind them have all of your faster people ready to break through and pounce after the first line is stunned. If done correctly and with enough people this will allow you get some tags from their formation. You shouldn't be trying to take out the whole group, instead try to slowly grind them down.

Name: Jake Weinberger
School: Goucher College
Day-to-day: Recon no stock, 2 socks
Mission:
Primary Weapon: Recon w/ stock and socks
Offhand: Adatto Mod nightfinder
Narwhal

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 05:50:59 pm »

Unless they truly, entirely trust eachother, which is pretty unlikely, the diamond probably collapses towards whichever side is being attacked. Just flank them and they'll probably get spread too thin and someone will make a mistake.

Vice President and Frontend designer of the Penn State Urban Gaming Club and all around cool guy.
Chuck

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2010, 12:04:46 pm »

Charge with a wedge. Have larger slower guys on the outside with the intention of having them take the first round of shots. Behind them have all of your faster people ready to break through and pounce after the first line is stunned. If done correctly and with enough people this will allow you get some tags from their formation. You shouldn't be trying to take out the whole group, instead try to slowly grind them down.

This is your best bet.  Some people may argue that it'd be really easy to pick off zombies trying to get through that first stunned line, but really, it's not.  Also, if this is a "diamond" shape, stay off of the points themselves and go for a point that sits -in between-. This allows for little reinforcement from any adjacent side and allows for a sort of skidding and overwhelming effect.  The zombies closest to the formation, sure, will get stunned easily, but they will "skid" along the human line of defense.  It is then up to the people in the center and on the outside to crash on this "skid" and press the human lines with their numbers.  Even if you pick off one or two people per rush, in time, you'll simply overwhelm them with numbers.

Combine this with zombies who aren't actually afraid to get stunned, and you'll get a lot of tags.
mcknightchris
* Game Organizer

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2010, 03:12:17 pm »

It seems that most of these tactics seem to break the rule about not using stunned zombies as shields. And the last time somebody "charged through" trying to break through the line, one of our people went to the hospital.

Semi-retired from HvZ due to leaving TAMU. Hopefully I can make it to some missions and invitationals.

Squad: CDC

Insanity is just another state of mind... lol
Cmdrmack

The Kilted Nerfer

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2010, 03:21:34 pm »

So send one of theirs to the morgue. That's the Chicago way.
mcknightchris
* Game Organizer

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2010, 03:43:24 pm »

The Texas way doesn't escalate things that far. Though it came close. [If any CDC members read this, you know what I'm referring to. Wink]

Semi-retired from HvZ due to leaving TAMU. Hopefully I can make it to some missions and invitationals.

Squad: CDC

Insanity is just another state of mind... lol
Ozymandias
* Forum Moderator

I met a survivor from Zombieland...

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2010, 04:35:01 pm »

The U3 would be proud.

The Texas way doesn't escalate things that far.

I lol'd.

"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Dallas Metroplex, Texas
Dyslexda
* Game Organizer

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2010, 11:49:40 pm »

It seems that most of these tactics seem to break the rule about not using stunned zombies as shields. And the last time somebody "charged through" trying to break through the line, one of our people went to the hospital.

It is indeed a fine line. We employed a version of this strategy at a mission last semester: humans were in a gym, and zombies had to rush in through a set of doors on one side. Insta-slaughter, unless zombies organized something like this. As such, we did a wave tactic, which was basically the line rush spread out over the entire front. There were quite a few complaints from the humans about zombies not peeling off quickly enough, and other zombies using stunned ones as shields. As I said, it's a fine line.

Honestly though, as long as stunned zombies aren't douches about it, they shouldn't have to get off the field instantly. If you were to shoot a real zombie, it wouldn't vaporize; it would gradually keep moving forward due to momentum, and eventually stop. That's what the best line zombies do; get hit, and slowly peel off, allowing momentum to take them (and the line) closer to the survivors. It's the human's responsibility to not shoot a stunned zombie multiple times, not a stunned zombie's responsibility to remove itself from the battlefield with intense haste.

Hunting Grounds: Truman State University, Kirksville, MO

The Five Commandments:
1.) Don't Be Stupid
2.) Don't Get It Banned
3.) Don't Be A Dick
4.) Have Fun
5.) Play Like You've Got A Pair
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.