October 23, 2014, 01:51:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Basic sample formations [Human and Zed]  (Read 3209 times)
Mr. Three
* Game Organizer

13+ Game Veteran

« on: March 07, 2012, 12:55:44 PM »

I'm sharing a few formations that Z-Squad has found effective with 10 or less players, on either side. I'm sure that these plans aren't by any means unique or perfect, but digging through tactics threads when you're just looking for formations is a pain in the ass. I take no credit for the following and make no claims to originality [EDIT: in fact I may have ripped someone off here but I can't recall correctly]. If this could become a 'just formations' thread that'd be cool.

5 or less people:

Human Strike Wedge: 5 people

Forward {facing the horde}

X      X
X            X
       X

Rear {facing the humans or lower zombie concentration}

Pretty straightforward. The four front dudes each share overlapping fields of fire on the main clump o' Zeds while the rear guard covers the 180 degrees of ass the Zombies will try to sneak up. The rear guard can call for a formation reversal. Adding more people to this formation just means adding more strikers or guards as a touch and go thing.

Zombie Rear Sweep: 5 people

Forward

X  X  X

X   X

Rear

Forward group charges, rear group flanks perpendicular to the forward group to box in a small human group and get a tag. Not complicated.

More than 5 people:

Bigger Human Strike Wedge:8+ people

Forward {facing the horde}

X            X

---30-50ft---

X      X
X            X
       X
       X

Rear {facing the humans or lower zombie concentration}

Two forward scouts serve to harass and soften up the horde before the strikers get there. Scouts are expected to retreat into covering fire if overwhelmed or draw the horde out to expose a flank. Four strikers do their thing with overlapping fields of fire. Two rear guards have more complicated duties in this formation: one of them should be the squad leader so they can keep an eye on the field and fill in gaps; one can support the strikers if a they need a fifth person or call for a formation reversal if flanked.
Adding more people? Beef up the scouts and rear guards first to improve survivability. Rear guards can become strikers when needed.

Zombie Wolf Pack: 7+ people

Forward {facing the humans}

C
  A       B    
X  X   X  X

Rear

A-Zombie and B-Zombie lead the charge while C draws fire, attempts to flank, or dives into the chaos netting tags. A and B columns should attempt to pincer attack whenever possible. Horde tactics in general multiply in effectiveness with numbers. Adding Zombies is as simple as adding more to A and B columns. For every two Zombies added to columns one Zombie should work like C, as a prime opportunist to maximize casualties during attacks. Zombies benefit from attacking from as many directions as possible.

Zombie Angler Fish: 6+ people

Forward    

X

X                 X
  X              X
   X      

Rear

The point Zombie is just a distraction so the jaws can shut in on a human. This formation is readily flanked by speedy, aware humans on open ground so keep in mind that its practical use is for trapping stragglers against buildings or hills. Otherwise use column-based pincer attacks or simply try to surround and swarm. Extra people should go towards the jaws. This formation is pretty easy to read. For extra surprise factor hide one of the jaws behind a structure or terrain feature. This is similar to the wolf pack and you should be able to switch between them on the fly.

Key difference is intent: Angler Fish tries to surround and engulf the humans while the Wolf Pack tries to hammer them from two slightly differing attack angles.

Hope this helps someone out there.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 01:28:49 PM by Mr. Three » Logged

Berea College, KY
Proud member of Z Squad
Quote from: Dyslexda
Water on darts? Certainly would be banned
But now I'm mad that I got trolled so I'm going to ban you anyway.
Cazzums
* Forum Moderator

Graveyard Shift

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 03:05:26 AM »

I'm liking the Z-wolf pack formation. A group or mesh of zombies is fine and dandy, but theres nothing like a wildcard. As the mass group, or center, of zeds act as the main muscle and attention it soaks up just enough attention for the few weavers to move around. IMO, the zombie that gets the most kills, isn't part of the mass everytime. My greatest kill as a zombie was after a large rush, when the humans were reloading and preparing to move to the next position, I had my spot behind the bushes. My targets: a group of players high-5ing with there powerstrike48 open, raider clip out, and maverick cylinder empty. I rushed them, making it 4/5's of the way before someone spotted me and shouted to the group. I got the PS48 and maverick before Mr. raider tagged me. Best feeling ever.

My favorite post as a group of 5 for humans:

C               C

A                             A
                     B

A=Heavy/riflemen
B=Ranger/blowgunner
C=Scout/sock ninja
Alot like your formation(human strike wedge) mine has a few key differences such as space and select classes. Some things to note: The sides are usually the softest part of a human group due to most everyone's instinctive front/back alerty-ness(i haz bad grammr). Therefore, having most of the firepower in the middle allows greater widespread cover, as well as the advantage of the blowgunner being centered. The blowgunner in back allows for the easiest removal of following stragglers/surprise rushes. With the scouts/sock ninjas mowing down the path ahead, it leaves little to be desired(except more humans?  Cheesy)
With only 5people, this is what my squad usually does.

Still standin'...
Styrfe Primary+Abs. Panther masterkey
2'Blowgun Sidearm
Mzzkc
* Game Organizer

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 10:08:08 PM »

Here's a practical human formation for your average group:

S XLXXX S
S XXXXXX S
 S XXXXX S

X = Large group of humans.
L = Experienced leader.
S = Skirmishers.

You can form the main group with any lot of humans so long as you've got someone competent all of them will listen to and follow. Their job is to create a tempting pocket for the horde and absorb any large, unavoidable blows. The leader needs to ensure everyone moves as a unit and stands their ground if things start to get dicey.

In this formation, skirmishers keep to the edges of the group and can work independently or in small squads. Their job is to break away from the main group whenever a horde is encountered and destroy them before they have a chance to react or reassess their target. If they catch a lot of heat, they shouldn't return to the main group, but instead drag as many zeds away from the encounter as possible and take out the ones that can keep up. In this way, zombie forces can be effectively divided.
Dyslexda
* Game Organizer

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 07:23:35 AM »

Such a formation will truly reveal what type of leader you have. Is it the type that will actually remain on the front line against a charge and lead by example, and thus increase chance of death, or the type that will quietly retreat to the second or third line of humans during a charge and then move back to the front at the end with nobody the wiser, thus ensuring the leader survives?

Hunting Grounds: Truman State University, Kirksville, MO

The Five Commandments:
1.) Don't Be Stupid
2.) Don't Get It Banned
3.) Don't Be A Dick
4.) Have Fun
5.) Play Like You've Got A Pair
Mr. Three
* Game Organizer

13+ Game Veteran

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 10:55:32 AM »

Tried out a new-ish one last game with my squad. We went Zombie on Day 1 so we had some time to fuck with formations.

Zombie Injection: 6 people.

Forward

X  X
   X
   X
   X
   X

Rear

The first 3 Zombies act as screens when charging. The last 3 Zombies, following closely, pick off a Human or two in the chaos. Having multiple Injections set up to pincer attack may be more effective than any other way of dividing Zombies up for charges. If you have more than 6 Zombies, either add them to the conga line of doom or have them fan out to get opportunistic kills during the Injection. Adding columns is fine in a big Zombie rush, but it honestly doesn't help the tactic much. If you have enough Zombies for multiple columns you should really just set up more Injections so you can hit from multiple angles. You'll create way more chaos that way.

We tried routing the Humans in a later mission and were stopped short by a counterattack that paralyzed our gun-shy Zombies. Here's what the battle looked like: [O= Human; X= Zombie; V= Human VIP]

Zombie-Forward

OOVO
OOO

OO                       OO
                          O  O         O            OO

XXX XXX                                            XXX XX
        XXX                                            XXX

Zombie-Rear

We had two wads of relatively disorganized Zombies that attempted to charge at the same time. Naturally, I'm already balls-deep in the Human strike team lines dodging socks like crazy when my fellow Zombies decide to hear the war-cry and trickle in one attacker at a time. We only killed one Human. Why? We weren't organized enough to attack from multiple directions as small units. The horde couldn't even cohesively pull off a two-pronged attack. The forward Humans pretty much ran to meet us and backpedaled. When Zombies go in one or two at a time instead of overwhelming the Humans they just pick us off.

If we had just broken ourselves up into three Injection teams, I guarantee we would have killed more than one Human. Another reason to only roll with your squad, I guess Tongue

« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 12:01:50 AM by Mr. Three » Logged

Berea College, KY
Proud member of Z Squad
Quote from: Dyslexda
Water on darts? Certainly would be banned
But now I'm mad that I got trolled so I'm going to ban you anyway.
gunman4701

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 03:12:51 PM »

This formation is for a 4 man squad, though it can be used with 3.
             Front^
                          X      X
                          X      X
The people in the formation each have a 90 deg. firing area. If a zombie is spotted the person nearest it steps foreward and begins firing, when he needs to reload the person next to him takes his place and cont. shooting. The same is true with 3 people but with the back of the triangle covering 180 deg.
               Front^
                            X   X
                              X
Two 2 man teams can be broken off from the quad formation. This gives you more options to employ. Ex: my squad has two scouts along with two heavies(recommended they are mobile). The scouts run out to find zombies, while this is happening the heavies take up posistions a medium distance apart and facing each other. Then after the scouts return with zombies chasing them, the scouts go right between the heavies. After passing the heavies open fire with the scouts turning around to help. This tactic can also be used with more people for bigger groups of zombies.

Front^
                               X       X

H                           H

O   O
                              O        O
X=Scout
H=Heavy
O=Zombie

Class: Juggernaut
Primary- 2 double clip stitched vulcans w/ upgraded motor and shoulder straps
Secondary- Raider w/ 4 drum mags (duct taped)
2nd Secondary- 2 Mavericks w/ holsters
Equipment- Tact., vest w/ 2 spare drum mags & backpack w/ 2 preloaded double stitched vulcan mags
Atlatal king

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 11:05:39 PM »

The square.                               

X X. X X
X. LL   X
X.  LL  X
X X. X X

x=short range,high RoF, melee,
l=long range, slow reload,absolvers.

The quicker X' es cover the slower L's if done right formation will hold for a long while. Excellent fornfinal stand
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.