July 26, 2017, 06:37:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: The Human's Comprehensive Guide to Victory (With Pictures)  (Read 29348 times)
Deathwish

RHUL HvZ

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 06:17:13 PM »

Hey,

I've read this guide several times, mainly to digest it all, and I find it very informative. A lot about what you said about keeping fit, knowing our blaster and knowing your team certainly rang true with the "team" I played with in my first game (which was very recently).

I would question the use of 2 man teams consistently, even though the communication becomes a lot easier and the mobility of the team is much higher, I've always found that the 2 man teams which some of used in my game always merged into teams of 4 (5 if we picked up a straggler). I suppose that when you employ it effectively, it'll work. I'm really interested to find out how well it works for you.

Primary: Elite Rayven - Bella
Secondary: Sweet Revenge/SideStrike
Darts, darts and even more darts.

Armoury: Sonic Longstrike w/ OMW Polycarb., 5kg Spring, Xplorer Rapid-fire Grip - Sasha
Zombie Role: Scout (Diversion)

Why Deathwish? Not a clue.
BluEncore
* Game Organizer

SCAD HvZ - VIGIL Eternal

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 11:04:58 AM »

Hey,

I've read this guide several times, mainly to digest it all, and I find it very informative. A lot about what you said about keeping fit, knowing our blaster and knowing your team certainly rang true with the "team" I played with in my first game (which was very recently).

I would question the use of 2 man teams consistently, even though the communication becomes a lot easier and the mobility of the team is much higher, I've always found that the 2 man teams which some of used in my game always merged into teams of 4 (5 if we picked up a straggler). I suppose that when you employ it effectively, it'll work. I'm really interested to find out how well it works for you.

Haha, well, I have to start off by thanking you for being so diligent to the guide. That means a lot to me. I can't say if organizing the Clan by pairs will be better or not, but from our performance last year, I believe it is the best method. Here's some of my reasoning (as well as a bit of clarification):

While I'm separating people into pairs, we are still (for the most part) going to be traveling in 1-3 large groups. The reason for this is because during missions, there are some zombies that are out to get big-name kills (like members of a team, renown players, etc), but by and large the majority of zombie players are going to travel in a huge mass to find...well, the biggest group of human players to feed on. What makes our operation for the human cause so efficient is that we put ourselves between the majority of the Resistance and the Horde. When you have a large group of humans, you need more team members to effectively cover their exposed sides of attack. When we spot a Horde, we group up and converge on the Horde's location. So regardless if you're organized into pairs or full squads, the fights that matter will most likely include half to the entirety of your squad. The reason I even bother with pairs is to build solidarity and put a sense of responsibility and trust in the members of our Clan.

When you go into a fight, it's going to be chaotic, no matter which way you turn it. Working with a pair is more efficient than a fireteam because you only need to keep track of one and "only" one guy. You have his back and he has yours. In a fireteam, it's difficult to focus on 3-4 other people when everyone's running around in a fight. I formed an unintentional bond like this with one of my clanmates, Turbo.

Despite me having a lot of zombie hits on me, I never went down in even some of the craziest battles because Turbo had my back. In fact, we died literally seconds apart from each other. There's a strong sense of connection with that fact in mind. Operating in separate fireteams felt more like cliques than anything, and when people in those fireteams eventually started dying, merging and disbanding was essentially a futile effort, because the members of one would be unfamiliar with the members of another. I've said it to the guys myself for this new year: If your bond brother dies, you should expect to die within the very same day, if not minute.

I've been doing a few pair-related trainings so far and they've all gone exceptionally well. Also, now that I've erased fireteams, the Clan as a whole (especially our new guys this year) are all really familiar and friendly with each other. In the end, we all know we will operate with each other, and that we are all each other's responsibility...but it helps to have eyes in the back of your head.

Fighting for your brother goes a long way.

In the end, when I put up V2 after this year's game, we'll see how it worked out!

Honorary Member of Human Clan VIGIL
SCAD HvZ Gameplay Committee 2012-2013
SCAD HvZ Gameplay Coordinator 2014
Deathwish

RHUL HvZ

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 12:56:59 PM »

I suppose working it that way should work very well. The only thing for me is that being the only person playing on my street on campus (only PG student in PG only halls at the moment), I have had to go lone-wolf quite a bit and thus I think that is why I feel safer with a 4 man team.

In the next game on my campus, I think we are going to have incentives for small teams, mainly because we had a thing in the last game where the humans would go around in one huge mass (we are talking maybe 45 - 60), which is so difficult to control. Apparently, onlookers we also amused by the small teams much more. Good thing is that I know most of the people I would team up with pretty well, and we understood how each person worked pretty well in the last game.

Primary: Elite Rayven - Bella
Secondary: Sweet Revenge/SideStrike
Darts, darts and even more darts.

Armoury: Sonic Longstrike w/ OMW Polycarb., 5kg Spring, Xplorer Rapid-fire Grip - Sasha
Zombie Role: Scout (Diversion)

Why Deathwish? Not a clue.
Ephemeral Lights

SCAD HvZ - VIGIL Eternal

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 03:25:54 AM »

who ever is wearing that sexy blue and white superhero mask is damn fine looking.  Kiss

Director of Human Clan VIGIL
SCAD HvZ Media Committee 2014
BluEncore
* Game Organizer

SCAD HvZ - VIGIL Eternal

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 07:20:15 PM »

Updated with Quick Tips section. SCAD HvZ starts in three days!

BluEncore
* Game Organizer

SCAD HvZ - VIGIL Eternal

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 10:52:46 PM »

This will be my final update for this thread. I'd like to take this time to thank everyone who took the time to read my guide and help me improve it and motivate me with their feedback. The 2013 game is now over, and I am pleased to report that VIGIL, utilizing our training, became the Leaders of the Resistance this year and led the human team to victory mission night after mission night. 2013 was such an incredible game that I don't think anyone that played will ever be forgetting it soon. Below I will post a few photos from the game of our boys and girls in action, and then give a Post Mortem on what went right and wrong for the benefit of anyone else with HvZ Groups.

This was pretty where VIGIL was always seen in the game. On the front lines. When your group is given a Class (if you use classes), make sure to take advantage of it and bend your strategies towards your new boon.

The SCAD Paper always does pieces on the game, but this year they went all out. They had 5 members running around with go pros as well as an excellent photographer, Crosby, who often featured VIGIL in their work. They did an outstanding job and we hope to see them involved again next year.

The heat of battle can get really tense and confusing. 2012 we struggled to keep organized because it was hard for the Captains to keep track of everyone and still keep themselves safe. This year, everyone was responsible for each other, and the group cohesion went up tenfold. If your team knows each other well, you will be able to accomplish things you didn't think were actually possible.

Everywhere I looked, VIGIL members were anything 'but' members, they were leaders, strategists, and heroes. Through our new training system that gave each member responsibility, everyone felt like they had a place in the Clan and were able to rise up to the occasion.

Honor your fallen. Every night, VIGIL lined up and fired a shot for each member of the Clan killed in combat from the mission. After a point, it wasn't just VIGIL shooting their shots into the air, but many members of the Resistance. Tears were literally shed some nights, and made for some very moving times. Everyone is important, you can't look at your people like strategic assets.

One of our members made a VIGIL back flag that was passed around from member to member. On the last night of HvZ, one of our new members, Zeus, was the last surviving VIGIL member of the SCAD HvZ 2013, and he fought bravely throughout the entire game.

Keep friends after you graduate, that's what this game is all about, anyway. Panda graduated last year, but took vacation time off of work and drove back to Savannah JUST because of the bond he felt with the Clan. His inclusion in the game won him Alumni of the Year for SCAD HvZ 2013.

Here are some tips I wish I added in that you guys absolutely must know:
1) Attrition. If you have a multiple-day HvZ game, you need to factor this. You guys may be great at sticking together and playing smart early in the game, but consistency is crucial, and keeping everyone organized as the game progresses is important. The game changes as it goes on, it's important that your group is able to adapt to that change. Between nights 1 and 2, literally every single casualty we had in VIGIL was because our guys got sloppy and didn't use the buddy system. ALWAYS GO OUT WITH FRIENDS.

2) Just because they're dead doesn't mean they aren't the same person, anymore. Have a plan for your dead members. If you want to avoid group drama, it's essential that you don't treat your fallen differently. Our own members formulated "ZIGIL" when they died, which is about as silly as it sounds. However, it was incredible, and allowed each of us to have a group of waiting friends for whenever we died, minimizing the typically upsetting event of death. Most importantly, it keeps the group together...even in death.

3) Be ready to make speeches.

Every night, the humans needed a voice to rally behind before missions, someone to tell them what they're doing and keep the Resistance going. Usually, this ended up being me, and I can tell you I was totally unprepared. I'm not telling you to write speeches, but get some bullet points straight when you speak to those around you, it may very well change the outcome of a mission.

Think into the future. If you want your group to continue after you graduate, leave, etc. look at your members carefully, and think about who would be best to continue to uphold the image of your group.

I'd like to state 5 major things that happened from this game, one of them being the reason that this will be my final update in this thread:
1) VIGIL won HvZ 2013 Group of the Year. We were recognized for our contribution and the celebration was incredible.
2) Friendships were fostered, and in some cases, flourished. Our members Artemis and Problem, Joker and Snowbird are happy couples. I wish them many years of happiness.
3) Scar, our most senior player, was killed Day 1 by the OZ. He shrugged it off and went on to claiming Zombie of the Year, which he can now proudly present next to his Human of the Year award from 2012.
4) I personally achieved Human of the Year as well as Best Death of the Year, although the former was passed on so that I wasn't stacking awards too high. VIGIL members also claimed Freshman of the Year, Best Dressed Human, Alumni of the Year, and other awards.

5) Finally, I was elected Coordinator of SCAD Humans vs Zombies. It was a hard decision, but I decided to run so that my last year at SCAD was spent giving our amazing players the best game they could ever imagine. I'm honored to be in charge of making the game next year, and I encourage anyone that is curious about SCAD HvZ to send me messages as the year progresses. We love visitors. Smiley

I passed on Director of VIGIL to Ephemeral Lights, who will be a Junior next year and is extremely dedicated to the Clan and its members. I know he'll run things well and make me proud. I'd like to thank everyone again for following this thread and being involved--whether it's this game, or any other one around the globe, HvZ is an ever-growing experience that is touching people's lives, one two-hand tag at a time. Make the game proud and, if you get one thing out of this entire guide, I would say that you should strive to be a model player. It doesn't matter when you die, how you play, or what you accomplish, if you're genuinely enjoying the game and make it an enjoyable experience for those around you, you are the Ideal HvZ Player, and no number of awards or various recognition will ever properly celebrate that. So let me be the first to say this to everyone that loves this game:

Thank you....and VIGIL Eternal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBWpRzK2DWg#t=0m50s

Zim

I'm a Brony, Got a problem with that?

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2013, 07:27:10 PM »

Me and my friends play large scale games 100+ people, can lonewolfing work?

Chevalier Mal Fet
* Game Organizer

PREPARE FOR TROUBLE

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2013, 02:34:40 PM »

Me and my friends play large scale games 100+ people, can lonewolfing work?
Easily.

I am coming to the belief that just about any playstyle can keep you alive (short of strapping all your blasters to yourself and daring the hore to come on), provided you do it right.

This last spring, at Truman's game (300 or so players on average), I decided to test this by running with NO weapons. At all. Of any kind. I instead took a little camera and declared myself an 'embedded journalist' and thus prevented by the laws of war from carrying weapons. The game started on a Wednesday.

I didn't die until Saturday and that was because I chose to, since I would be working during the final mission on Sunday.

You just have to be smart. Pick when you're going to move, and make sure you have good reasons for doing so. When you do move between buildings, go fast. Some people say that stealth is the best way, and it CAN work, but it won't carry you through the entire week. Instead, if you just book it from building to building, making sure that you don't go until you have a clear shot to the building, frequently you'll be 70% of the way there before any watching zombies can react. Only spectacularly bad luck can kill you traveling this way, and since you'll be armed you should be able to handle those situations, too. [DISCLAIMER: Truman's is a small campus - the most isolated building on campus is only a few hundred yards from a dorm or an academic building, and most gaps are less than thirty yards. This tactic may not be as effective if you have larger distances to go].

Now, lonewolfing it during missions is harder. You won't be able to rely on buildings and speed. Instead, I used the main mob of players as my building. Since I was still unarmed, I would scout ahead and check corners and that sort of thing. During charges, I would first put the main human mass between myself and the charge, then played keepaway with any zombies that slipped in behind and lured them into other players' fields of fire. You won't have to be quite so cowardly, but the key point here is that mobility is key. Don't ever let yourself get stuck in the main line - always maintain a bit of separation. If you can handle the zombies that come your way, handle them. If you can't, retreat, stun the ones that get close, and try to scrape off the others in the main human group. As long as you're constantly moving and don't get blindsided you should be okay.

Bottom line: In order to lone wolf, you just have to be fast and smart. If you can't trust your wits and your legs, you probably won't be able to make it. But if you can, you'll be almost unkillable.

Om nom, kiddos.

Screw those lists of blasters. Being a zombie is just better.
Lordmonocrona
* Game Organizer

Check out my blog: thenerfviewpoint.wordpress.com

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2013, 06:54:53 PM »

TO back this guide, I must say that lonewolfing would be kind of going against what he was trying to say. The way I've seen it, lone wolfs generally are trying to make it to the end without encountering too many zeds. I would say it would work, if survival is you goal. If you were trying to help the whole of the humans, fireteams at the very least would be the smallest group you want to be in.

Check out my Blog!
http://thernerfview.blogspot.com/
"This class is boring, can we learn about dragons?"
BluEncore
* Game Organizer

SCAD HvZ - VIGIL Eternal

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2013, 07:12:06 AM »

There was a popular couple in last year's game called "Secret Squirrels" that completed very important mission objectives under the zombie radar. Lone wolves, used properly, are invaluable to humans, but as Vulcaneer said (to an extent) it's not what my guide is about (protection/zombie culling as opposed to mission completion). The only reason I don't mention them is because my Guide is tailored to groups/clans, that's all.

Valkyrie

SCAD HVZ - M7 Special Ops

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2014, 12:19:13 PM »

Best thing I read about surviving HVZ hands down! Smiley

"If you are afraid to die, you have already died."
The Magnificent Seven 2013-2014
M7 Special Ops 2015
Moderator 2016
ZERO Leader

Leader of ZERO

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2014, 01:12:06 AM »

This is a late reply, but everything that Vigil has posted I've tried to implement into ZERO in some shape or form. We fight with courage, fight with our heads(we only fall back if we need to) and we make sure that if we go down, they remember who the hell we are. And we definitely left a mark this game. Most importantly, ZERO looks up to Vigil in terms of building bonds and friendships that reach beyond the game. Everyone in ZERO is friends and we'll continue to expand gradually in the future. I didn't get my "army" as I hoped for, but 15 members wasn't a bad size this past game. The casualty rate wasn't good, but the ones that did make it to the last couple of days did a lot of damage to the zeds.

I want to take on new members, but I'm going to keep a low profile because A.) I'm graduated so I don't matter as much anymore B.) There were outlier forces against my team and I for some reason and it was kind of lame.. C.) The simple and quiet approach of joining the game is better than blasting the pages with advertisements for recruiting. I plan on doing selective recruitment like Vigil has and add a max of 5 to our roster this game to replace those that have become too busy to play, retired, or moved away.

I just want to reiterate how thankful I am for this game and this guide. I've seen the best and worst out of the unlikeliest of people and HvZ definitely helped make some long lasting friendships. I don't regret signing up that day in fall of 2012!

Callsign: Lockdown

Proud Leader of ZERO
Loadout 1: Scout
Sock gauntlet
2 Hammershots
1 blowgun

Loadout 2: Titan
Either: Powerstrike 48, ECS-12, or Rampage
Socks
Hammershots

Career-6 games. 3/4 games ZED. Fall 2012 game-Human victory
BluEncore
* Game Organizer

SCAD HvZ - VIGIL Eternal

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2014, 12:45:58 AM »

Valkyrie, a late thank you but thank you all the same. Zero, throughout the years, the smaller my team was, the better it performed. When the group is small, people instinctively care about each other more. There's only so many people that can fit in your personal bubble, I guess. I'm glad this guide has done some good for you and I hope you post updates on the HvZ page about your group. Sounds like a lot of fun!

Lordmonocrona
* Game Organizer

Check out my blog: thenerfviewpoint.wordpress.com

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2014, 12:38:37 PM »

Jesus, every time I read this it makes my blood boil! It's so awesome, and makes me want to rush out onto the battlefield and just shoot like mad.

Check out my Blog!
http://thernerfview.blogspot.com/
"This class is boring, can we learn about dragons?"
ZERO Leader

Leader of ZERO

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2015, 03:24:57 PM »

Small update. I know that you guys probably don't check this post out as often anymore, but this is for BluEncore, for last time he requested an update on my squad: As of now, my career as a student HvZ player has ended and I begin a post-college career(for the time being until I move out of my college town)

My last game was certainly the most eventful. I had retired players come out of retirement and fight with us on nights when we needed them the most. I also stepped down as leader this past game and let other members step up to take charge and organize. My scout squad, or the legendary arrow squad, defended 1 of the player objectives against 40 zombies with only 3 people and a handful of socks. I am swelling with pride for them.

Our squad, sadly, hasn't stayed traditional anymore but it isn't all bad. There are some members of our squad going full time zed, stepping up as humans, and so forth. I've learned to embrace getting taken down when it happens, or at least plan on taking more zeds down when I do next game.

I am about to prep for my next game this upcoming March and I'm excited. I just want to thank the community out there for making this game awesome and what it is. And this human survival guide. ZERO, my squad, has evolved to adapt with the changes in gameplay and have always come out on top. I'd recommend this guide to anyone first starting out in this game or even a refresher for veteran players.

Callsign: Lockdown

Proud Leader of ZERO
Loadout 1: Scout
Sock gauntlet
2 Hammershots
1 blowgun

Loadout 2: Titan
Either: Powerstrike 48, ECS-12, or Rampage
Socks
Hammershots

Career-6 games. 3/4 games ZED. Fall 2012 game-Human victory
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.