August 23, 2014, 01:19:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: For Those Who Use Witch Zombies In Their Games  (Read 3164 times)
tautomer
* Game Organizer

« on: June 14, 2012, 03:44:33 pm »

Based off the suggestion I heard in another thread, I want to ask this.

For those of you who use witch zombies in their HvZ games. How many witch zombies are generally active throughout the games, how do they becomes witch zombies in the first place, and what other "rules" apply to them over the 10 second stun rule. Also, do they use an extra bandana to mark them or something?

Thanks!
catbarf

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 07:19:41 pm »

Well, ours are actually moderators, and they go after both humans and zombies (they can stun zombies), although the zombies usually end up being able to 'tame' a couple of witches as a mission reward and then they no longer tag zombies. They're marked by wearing a whole bunch of bandannas- I think last game it was a yellow bandanna around the neck, bright blue shirt, and pink bandannas on the wrist.
Mzzkc
* Game Organizer

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 11:20:58 pm »

c/p from other thread:

"Old Hag" Flavor (ew) - Invulnerable, blindfolded, must sit on the ground until they hear a human. If they hear a human in their vicinity (talking, rattling blasters, loud footsteps) they must remove their blindfold, get up, start screaming, and attack the nearest human. They are invulnerable, and can continue the attack for ~30 seconds, or until the human has left their "kill zone." I think we also allowed them to attack zombies for a stun, but I can't be sure of that. Our most successful variety of Witch. These work best with several witches and when you place objectives near the witch and the witches in frequently traversed areas. This forces interaction and a different style of gameplay where stealth is the key to survival.

Witches like the above work well in large numbers, spread across your map, and do an excellent job at "guarding" objectives.

We mark all super zeds these days with two bandannas around the arm and one around the head.
Jack_Of_Spades

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 11:21:37 am »

--The number you use is highly dependent on the number of players you have, as well as what specific rules you have for them (are they powerful? weak?) and the skill level of the moderator(s) playing the role.

--Make sure your players have a fair way of discovering her existence without, y'know, dying if she is unstunnable. Yes, some dumb idiot is gonna waltz right the fuck up to her as quietly as he/she can and shoot her nearly point-blank and expect her to be stunned, and he's gonna be super shitty when he dies. We did a game with a witch, and we thought it would be kickass if our players just, y'know, happened upon her. But of course she's dressed in this scary ass zombie gore makeup, and, y'know, she's obviously a super zombie (we mark all NPC's with arm/headbands of a different color), so why would *ANYONE* take the above action? I don't know, but it totally happened.

Obviously, the safest thing to do is to just tell your players about her. But the more you tell them about her, the less of a "puzzle" your players have to figure out, and it's just another zombie for humans to dodge. That's no fun either. Really, it's up to you to gauge what your players can and cannot handle to figure out what info they need and how to deliver it to them.

And leaving things for your players to figure out *is* fun: at one point our humans thought she was simply a photophobe (hates lights and will flee from them). Oh, how wrong they were. Makes for a good story, though.

--The moderator (yes, a moderator should be playing this role) needs to practice the role several times before the game starts. Find some weekend or some time that most of your mods don't have a time commitment the next morning and go out when it's least likely for a player to see you, have your mods bring guns, and have your witch practice what it is she's supposed to be doing. You really can't do that enough times, it's important and it will pay off, promise.

--Unstunnable super zeds always need multiple, huge things hampering them or people piss and moan about them. For Witches, we typically set a maximum radius that she will chase you before losing interest.

--What we have done in the past as well is have only one, but have her "despawn" and "respawn" at different parts of the map periodically. Keep players on their toes.

--As with any NPC that can directly impact gameplay by killing players, you probably want to have a white-band (or whatever color you use to designate a mod who is just a mod and has no in-game role) on-hand to supervise the action.

Best of luck, I hope you find this helpful!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 11:28:28 am by Jack_Of_Spades » Logged
BluEncore
* Game Organizer

SCAD HvZ - VIGIL Eternal

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 03:41:27 pm »

We used witch last year. They have a second, different colored bandana. I believe respawn was one kill an hour. Personally, I hate the class. There's no better fear factor class than the witch, but as a game designer, I always wince when I hear invincibility.

Honorary Member of Human Clan VIGIL
SCAD HvZ Gameplay Committee 2012-2013
SCAD HvZ Gameplay Coordinator 2014
longbow
* Game Organizer

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 04:18:06 pm »

We try and keep our special zombies focused with a specific gameplay purpose. Our witch is used for area denial, typically around some kind of mission objective.

The witch stays in one location. When she starts feeling threatened or is disturbed by players she will activate and chase any nearby humans, mainly focusing on whichever human disturbed her. After activating, she is invincible to all fire for 5 seconds, after which any standard weapons will send her back to her spot. Once she walks back to her spot, she is able to be activated again.

Initially our witch was just played by a single moderator, but nowadays we have either two moderators, or a TRUSTED (very important) player with a moderator "handler". The point of the witch isn't to get a bunch of turns, it's to make the humans slow down and carefully figure out a way past, or to whatever objective the witch is guarding. If you let just any normal player fill this role, they will typically try and get as many kills as possible. We let a trusted player be the witch, with a moderator close by to keep the player on track. The moderator also counts out the invincibility, and announces it with a whistle blow.

This style leads to two main strategy players can use. If the witch is blocking an area the humans need to get through, they can slowly move around the outside, trying not to disturb the witch. This makes the humans slow down and think about what they are doing. If the witch is guarding something humans need, it gets more complicated. There can be one or two volunteer humans who purposefully disturb the witch, and run her as far from the spot as possible while the other players complete the objective or move through the area.

As far as marking, we use the battery powered glowstick/whistles you can find in various places. All of our special zombies wear green, Moderators wear blue, the Admin wears red.

ben weibel - game/site admin
HvZ::Athens - www.hvzathens.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.