October 22, 2014, 11:45:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HvZ... in high school???  (Read 1924 times)
badgerino
* Game Organizer

« on: February 05, 2009, 01:19:09 PM »

I'm a senior in high school & looking to start a game. Alot of people seem to be into it, but any tips on how to get it past the administration? I think high schoolers have alot less power than college students, but I think we can do it. My school has about 3000 kids, how many do you think we need to play HvZ? Any tips on getting started? Thanks in advance Smiley
jjj2576
* Game Organizer

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 02:31:15 PM »

At my highschool we did something like this, but it was called "The Assassins Guild." It was ideally a game with similar mechanics. We had only maybe 20-30 people playing, and we didnt even bother talking to the bloody administration about it.

-The Jesse J. R. Jennings

Primary: Modifed LongShot (Added Spring)
Secondary: Modified NiteFinder (PVC Barrel, AR's removed, Added Spring, Rubberbands)

[1:22:21 AM] Erik "Chuck" Norris: Voldemort's truer evil was making Turtles On Tour
overlord220

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 03:20:55 PM »

We played about 6 rounds of assassins this year, some went better than others but over all it was a pretty good time. And like jjj we didn't bother asking anyone to play, but then again playing assassins doesn't have the kind of publicity HvZ puts out.

As far as asking the administration, have people help you, pitching the idea by yourself if extremely difficult and when it is just one on one you have the feel of being obviously less powerful.

Cmdrmack

The Kilted Nerfer

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 05:13:56 PM »

Humans Vs Zombies sounds pretty innocuous by itself, especially compared to something with a name like "Assassins." One thing you will certainly have to give up is nerf blasters on campus. Most schools these days have Zero Tolerance laws concerning anything remotely resembling a gun.

Needless to say, you'll have to modify the rules to accommodate.

Also, the primary concerns of your administration are likely to be safety and disruption of the academic environment. Find ways to assuage these fears, as well as to make sure everyone is comfortable with the game. The last thing a school wants is to have a bunch of angry parents calling them asking about your game. High schools are more likely than anything else I've experienced to overreact.

In short, good luck, but I don't like your odds much.
overlord220

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 05:35:06 PM »

The one thing our principal couldn't stress enough is that it has to have an educational benefit to it. This doesn't mean that you have to so something conventional, just argue the points of the social interaction and teamwork aspect of it.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.