March 28, 2017, 09:18:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Canadian High School Game.  (Read 4037 times)
Squats

« on: July 17, 2012, 11:25:46 PM »

I go to a Catholic high school in Toronto, Ontario, and made it into my school's athletic council under the title of "intramural rep", which puts me in the position to set up activities for other students that involve athletics (obviously) and general health and physical activity. After spending the last three hours or so lurking this forum, looking at a bunch of videos related to the subject, and reading through the wiki, I've decided to try and organize a HvZ game at my high school. I'm going to be revisiting this thread over the next few months as I try to (hopefully) gain approval for this event. After having looked through the high school and middle school games section here I haven't really seen any threads that go in depth as to how the games were organized and are mainly incomplete.

I've already been doing some thinking on getting basic approval for the idea. One of the moderators for the athletic council is also the moderator for the gaming club, so it's likely that he'll know students and other faculty members that might be interested in getting involved in moderating the event as well as providing a helping hand to the athletic council while setting up the game.

There's a facebook group with the other ~13 athletic council members but I'm hesitant to bring the idea up to any of them yet since most of them will probably leak it out onto Twitter because of a lack of understanding that the initial setup of the event should be pretty low-key to the main population of the school.

Ideally, the game will be played starting on the Wednesday before march break, with the Wednesday and Thursday, being the first two days, being used to provide hype and paranoia among players. Ideally, players would be able to stay overnight at the school from Friday through the weekend, with the game ending on Monday later on in the evening.

The administration at my school is very laid back, and I speak to both the Principal and one of the Vice principals regularly throughout the school year. I'm also pretty well acquainted with the teachers in the Science and Phys ed departments that would be willing to support me and possibly help out when the time comes for the event. Plenty of the teachers are really into the idea of leadership and breaking social barriers to a game like HvZ that can appeal to both "nerds" and your typical athletes would definitely sell well to them.

As for funding, I have a good friend from the school rugby team that happens to be the treasurer for the executive student council, and apparently they've been sitting on a pretty decent sum of money for a while without anything really big to do with it. I'm sure that a community building event like this would warrant them giving us some money for it.

The more I think of this whole idea, the more I think that it might be a better project to be taken on by all three of the councils in the school (athletic, leadership and executive) just because if it's taken on by all three councils as opposed to just the athletic council, it will receive more funding and become a much larger event than it would be just being taken on be the athletic council.

I'm going to keep all the posts I make in this thread seperate so anyone reading can get a better idea of what's going on at what stage of development. As of now, I'm only just starting to mull over the idea and how it might come to be and I still haven't introduced it to anyone, but it definitely has promise. There's still plenty of time, though.

I'll be back with more when something happens. Until then, this thread shall remain favourited in my browser and a tab shall be kept open.
TheGrandKababi
* Game Organizer

The Con-Man

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 04:05:20 PM »

It sounds like you're off to a good start and with 8 months to go until game time as well. Definitely looking forward to updates on how this goes.

I always get excited when I hear of more games in the Great White North, welcome to the list of Canadian organizers on the forum.

School: University of Victoria

Primary: "The Perforator" Reduced and spring modded Longshot
Sidearm: "Ole Reliable" AR and spring modded Recon
Last Ditch: "Never Reload" Foam KA-BAR
Equipment: Tactical vest with walkie talkie, headset and ammo pouch for 9 spare mags.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.