November 20, 2017, 01:58:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: An Actual Anti-Zombie Martial Art  (Read 11713 times)
deadcrow

« on: September 04, 2012, 07:35:42 AM »

I can't decide if this is really freakin' cool or just plain silly.  There's a group running a Kickstarter for an actual, real-life anti-zombie martial art.

Zombie Self-Defense
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/163783225/zombie-self-defense

The video is a bit goofy, and spends way too much time trying to--I don't know, tell some kind of story, I guess--but the concept is actually pretty cool and the write-up sounds sweet.  Basically, they got a bunch of special forces operators and martial artists to make a fighting style just for taking on zombies.

CountryCuz2011
* Game Organizer

Formerly known as Spartan2011

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 07:51:32 PM »

This "zombie self-defense" stuff sounds pretty cool, I might just read up on it when it comes out. My only question is how into it the self-defense goes into zombies. What I mean is that some books discuss zombie tactics in a half-assed, make believe kind of way while others actually try to look at zombie warfare as a legitimate topic to discuss (like Max Brooks "The Zombie Survival Guide," though this sounds even better). It may be that they are talking about zombies symbolically, meaning they're only referring to any bad person as a "zombie" or something that needs to be generally wary of anyway.

Spring 2014 Loadout:
Primary: Praxis w/RDS, Nerf Raider stock, Halo mounting system
Secondary: Socks
Day-to-Day: Roughcut w/pistol grip, raider stock
Ammo: 40-round drum, extended Vortex clips, extra discs
Equipment: Vortex LBE w/fanny pack, Mechanix gloves, shemagh, sock pouch, dump pouch, my
catbarf

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 08:46:55 PM »

Making a straightforward self-defense guide themed around completely imaginary enemies seems pretty stupid to me. Things like zombie-themed disaster survival groups work because the zombie theme is tongue-in-cheek, and the survival techniques applicable to real-world scenarios. I can't see how an invented martial art is going to have any such practicality.
Cazzums
* Forum Moderator

Graveyard Shift

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 09:02:37 PM »

I imagine Jiu-jitsu would suffice the same with the grapple and disable techniques...

"See you space cowboy..."
Primary: Minimized Demolisher
Backup: Socks/3' Blowgun
Sixth Kira

"I'll take this potato chip... and I'll eat it!"

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 09:19:34 PM »

I take Systema, and have for some time. Its grappling techniques and takedowns would be almost pathetically easy to execute against the shambling undead. Once they're on the ground, a boot to the skull is all it'll take to finish them off.

Really, an anti-zombie martial art isn't something I'd invest in. The way I see it, the ideal pattern is to do a regular martial art (which you're much more likely to use) and then learn to adapt it in the event of a zombie apocalypse.

Wearer of the great and mighty longcoat. Worship my coat and all it stands for, gentlemen.

"Sir, how many darts does this blaster fire per second?"

"all of them"
solmssteinke

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 10:35:27 AM »

I have to say, this rocks. Although theoretically you could adapt any martial art to as little dangerous contact as possible, it still is awesome to have a style specifically for fighting zombies. Though to be honest, Krav Maga would also work Tongue

Title: Redemptor or "Hawk"
School: SUNY Geneseo

Primary: Nerf longshot modified with replacement springs and removed air restrictor
Secondary: Nerf sword, double-bladed
agentjonnyb
* Game Organizer

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 10:36:56 PM »

We should get some Rex-kwan-do in there..."just break the wrist and walk away"...

Masturcief42

lol I'm teh mastur cief!

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 10:50:28 PM »

We should get some Rex-kwan-do in there..."just break the wrist neck and walk away"...
fixed it for you.

Go save lives, donate blood.
Bobololo
* Forum Moderator

I Will End You

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 02:23:34 AM »

I agree with what CatBarf put up. I also don't think they are going to account for infection spread via the blood splattering everywhere (think 28 Days Later) that some of the maneuvers might cause.

The YouTube Channel
Quote from: Daniel Beaver
You may think it's mean of me to shit all over your creative vision, but rest assured that shit is an awesome fertilizer for the muse of the mind.
Long live the Horsemen and hail Satan.
deadcrow

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 12:29:04 PM »

I agree with what CatBarf put up. I also don't think they are going to account for infection spread via the blood splattering everywhere (think 28 Days Later) that some of the maneuvers might cause.

They actually say that infection is one of the things they specifically work around.  Which is part of what piqued my interest.

I'm a long-time fighter, but so much of it is punches and kicks and pain.  I think it'd be neat to see how somebody effectively avoids the head/teeth, works around splatter and gore, and doesn't do anything based on pain.

Post Merge: September 07, 2012, 12:56:59 PM
I sent them an email yesterday about the project. I made some general comments about what I've seen in terms of techniques and asked about the myers bar.  Here's their response.

Crow
-----

Hey, Jack.  Thanks for writing in.

You're absolutely right in your assessment; there is a lot of judo and aikido in Gekisai Akuma.  That's because those arts excel at putting people on the ground with a minimal amount of effort and using only biomechanics (rather than pain or damage).  There are also elements of Lung Shao Kung Fu, Muai Thai, MCMAP, Krav Maga, and a number of other systems.

Basically, the art evolved by a group of us imagining the different ways a zombie can attack, then addressing each one using a combination of skills from our assorted knowledge base.  But, there's only so many ways to put a (undead) human being on the ground, so you'll see a lot that looks familiar. 

The biggest difference, however, is what we don't do: we only make contact with the head when it's absolutely necessary, we ensure contact minimizes exposure to the virus, and we don't execute any techniques that rely on pain to be successful.

As for the Myers bar, it is our version of the ultimate zombie apocalypse e-tool; having both utility and combat elements.  It's essentially an over-sized tomahawk optimized for killing corpses, that includes essentials for breaching and performing utility duties.

We've been waiting for the final, polished version to come back from our smith before we post pictures (because our mock-ups are ugly.  Functional, but ugly.), but we've been offering to send schematics and pictures of prototypes to people looking to buy-in at the Legendary level.

Holler if you have any other questions.

Thanks again.

Greg
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 12:56:59 PM by deadcrow » Logged
Moe Zombie

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 10:31:09 PM »

That's absolutely ridiculous! Looks like it got canceled anyhow.

Zombie apocalypse survival begins with Zombie Weapons
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

All opinions expressed on this web forum are those of the individual authors and not of Gnarwhal Studios INC.

"Humans vs. Zombies" and "HvZ" ® 2005-2012 Gnarwhal Studios INC.
HVZ SOURCE is a project created by Chris Weed (Dreamer of Dreams), Brad Sappington, Joe Sklover, Justin Quick,
Trevor Moorman, Max Temkin, and Ben Beecher.