May 27, 2017, 04:08:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're a game moderator and don't have the "Game Organizer" custom title, please PM
Sklover.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Moderating decisions being made independently of moderating team.  (Read 10407 times)
otoryuo

« on: October 08, 2012, 09:27:13 PM »

Since HvZ has started at UIndy, moderators have been allowed to play the game alongside normal players.  Unfortunately, some of the moderators abused their moderating powers to either avoid tags or to influence moderation decisions in a way that benefits their team.  Rather than allowing the moderating team to implement new rules to prevent this or even allowing the moderating team to make the decision for themselves, the executive board of the UIndy Gamers' Club, who sponsor the game, went over the moderating team's heads and banned the moderators from participating in game play. 
Several players on campus think that the decision to ban all moderator participation is both an extreme action taken without first trying less extreme alternatives, and an abuse of the Gamers' Club executive board's, which is not involved in moderation, influence on the game.  Because of this, I've started a petition to show the executive board that not everyone in the UIndy HvZ community and in the HvZ community at large agree with their decision to go over the moderators' heads and make such an extreme decision without first trying the alternatives, and I was hoping that those of you on this forum who agree with our stance would be willing to sign it. 
http://www.change.org/petitions/stephanie-kirkling-and-marcus-montgomery-allow-humans-vs-zombies-moderators-to-play
Dyslexda
* Game Organizer

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 10:41:51 PM »

To be blunt, it's stupid to allow moderators to play. They need to be impartial, and you've found out what happens when you ask people to be impartial about their own gameplay. Being a moderator is a privilege granted by the community, and the price of that privilege is not being able to play. One or the other, you can't do both and be completely impartial. Honestly, it's probably a good thing that this exec board found a way to nip it in the bud.

Hunting Grounds: Truman State University, Kirksville, MO

The Five Commandments:
1.) Don't Be Stupid
2.) Don't Get It Banned
3.) Don't Be A Dick
4.) Have Fun
5.) Play Like You've Got A Pair
otoryuo

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 12:13:50 AM »

The issue that we're most concerned about is the fact that this decision was made without input from the HvZ moderating team, and that one of the mods who was abusing the power is still being allowed to moderate.  I don't think that any of those serious about the game would have an issue if the decision had been made by the moderating team and if the offending mod from last year wasn't on the team this year.
legoexpo
* Forum Moderator

Destroyer of Worlds

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 09:01:01 PM »

while going over your heads wasn't the best idea, their decision is probably the best one.

Moderators simply cannot play and be partial.

I know it sucks that it got taken out of your hands, and you should probably discuss this with your gameboard about not doing so in the future, but in this particular case. they happen to have made the right call.

as for the mod who was abusing power, bring it up directly with instances/examples and just bring it to their attention that he was impartial beforehand.

broken

Accuracy Through Volume

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 01:54:06 AM »

Ya I have to agree with lego on this one, it is a bad idea for moderators to play. Moderators should be nothing more than walking rulebooks/referees. If you are playing then you will have a bias towards whatever side of the game you are currently on, regardless if you mean to or not. The best way to make sure that the moderators stay impartial is to not let them play. Now that doesn't mean they can't participate in the game. Here are Purdue, we reward our staff and on occasion mods with chances to be NPCs during game week, aka characters that are used to drive the plot.

Purdue HvZ
Fall '09, Spring'11 - Extracted | Spring '10, Fall '10, Fall'11 - Turned at extraction | Spring '12 - Moderator | Fall '12 - IT Committee Head | Spring '13 - Turned at extraction | Fall '13 - Turned at extraction

Primaries: Rapidstrike, Blowgun
Secondaries: Stormfire, Socks
Sixth Kira

"I'll take this potato chip... and I'll eat it!"

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 08:37:57 PM »

If you want mods to 'play', use them as combat-oriented NPCs. That way, they get to fight without bias affecting their rules as much.

But really. Mods playing as regular humans or zombies is just asking for disaster.

Wearer of the great and mighty longcoat. Worship my coat and all it stands for, gentlemen.

"Sir, how many darts does this blaster fire per second?"

"all of them"
Boom

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 04:51:35 AM »

well we always have 1 or 2 OZ mods (more or less) and the rest are human, and yes there is a problem every once in a while with some minor bias(humans/zombies), most of it is negated by the fact that the mods on the one half will call out the other if there's a bad call. This is what we went too after experiencing problems like yours, so far I think it's worked out quite well.

torukmakto4: What do you mean I can't use it in a thunderdome? It's a Reflex for pete's sake!
Nina68
8: Undefined index: group_stars
File: /home4/humansvs/public_html/forums/Themes/default/Display.template.php (main sub template - eval?)
Line: 302